Timetable for merger?

Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:57 am

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by Tanic
US is indeed the identifier for USAirways. Formerly known as PI for Piedmont, PS for PSA, AL for Alegheny, and a few others that go way back. I suppose HP and "Cactus" will go into the history books.
From what we heard, they are working on keeping Cactus as the call sign.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:09 pm

Programs: Empty Seat Program
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
all HP FA's would be terminated and replaced by current and furloed US FA's.
This is bad info.
The most junior FA at US is appx 7years. The most senior HP FA is appx 22 years. Easy math.
In addition, US furloughed FAs are no longer actually employed, but only eligible for rehire in seniority order.
It is highly unlikely they would bump anyone. There has been no word yet if furloughed employees will be included in the merger.
It is true that our union bylaws call for integration by date of hire as a FA.
FA bases will have 'fences" in place for a couple years to maintain base seniority. After the 'fences' come down, more senior FAs would be able to transfer in only when there is a vacancy. So no FAs at the bottom of the list in PHX (which will obviously be the junior base) will be flushed or bumped from their job.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Lifer
This is bad info.
The most junior FA at US is appx 7years. The most senior HP FA is appx 22 years. Easy math.
In addition, US furloughed FAs are no longer actually employed, but only eligible for rehire in seniority order.
It is highly unlikely they would bump anyone. There has been no word yet if furloughed employees will be included in the merger.
It is true that our union bylaws call for integration by date of hire as a FA.
FA bases will have 'fences" in place for a couple years to maintain base seniority. After the 'fences' come down, more senior FAs would be able to transfer in only when there is a vacancy. So no FAs at the bottom of the list in PHX (which will obviously be the junior base) will be flushed or bumped from their job.
I agree.

In all the talk about this merger, and everyone speculating that US' unioned workforce will take over HP, etc etc. - don't forget that this is not a consolidation or joint venture - this is an acquisition by one company for another. HP is the purchaser and US is the "acquiree". Although they are keeping the US Airways name because of the goodwill involved, the bottom line is that AWA is buying out US - and when the stakes come to be hammered out to decide basis, HP is superior to US - period. Those that work for the purchaser (HP) are part of big brother, and US is unfortunately inferior and subject to HP's mandates if they want to survive. Now with that said, would Parker continue with the workforce he has worked so hard to build success with, or throw it all away by adopting the biggest contingent liability that has plagued conventional carriers for the last 10 years?

Long live HP and their great people!!!
Old Jul 14, 2005, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Insiderdude
Those that work for the purchaser (HP) are part of big brother, and US is unfortunately inferior and subject to HP's mandates if they want to survive. Now with that said, would Parker continue with the workforce he has worked so hard to build success with, or throw it all away by adopting
unfortunately, he gets to choose how many total employees to keep, but he doesn't get to choose which ones; management is only presented with merged seniority lists to implement. the merging is done purely by the unions. He's already said they are looking to have 7,000 fewer people in the merged system.

they can and will have fences, but unless times remain permanently flush those fences won't prevent de facto sqeezes. if they fence PHX, and there is a downturn requiring layoffs, it's still largely the HP people who'd get laid off, and any shortages in PHX are then filled via involuntary transfers of US people--- look no further than TW's fenced base in STL for a real life example (a more extreme example, because there was zero overlap in merged seniority; TW was stapled to the bottom of the list).
Old Jul 14, 2005, 8:21 pm

Programs: Empty Seat Program
martin33, your scenario is definitely food for thought.
Lets hope it dosen't come to that down the road.
Many senior US FAs have taken buy-outs, and will be gone by the end of the year. Many others may retire by the time the 'fences' come down.
The pay scale is higher at US for middle seniority FAs. So more still may quit rather than take yet another pay cut to come down to where HP FAs are.
I believe Doug is counting on this attrition to bring the numbers in line.
Most of those 7,000 jobs will be from overlapping admin and support postitions, as well as field stations.
I have 16yrs bidding seniority, so I am comfortable w/what may come, and hoping this will provide me w/greater long-term job security. Cuz after all, I am a Lifer!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.