Wiki Posts
Search

New Service to OKC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: HP/US
Thumbs up New Service to OKC

Hp announced today that they will initiate service to OKC from PHX and LAS. Press release here:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....790&highlight=

Great move for HP, even if the flights will be on CRJs.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Good addition to the route. I wish they'd add Tulsa service as well.

Southwest offers a non-stop there currently. While I hate flying Southwest, at least there is a non-stop option. Other than that, it's an inconvenient stop in DFW, IAH, SLC or DEN.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Wink Good but not exciting.

While I'm no Oklahoma fan and can't understand why anyone would want to go/live there, I'm glad HP is covering this hole in their network.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
While I was initially excited to see this new service, I agree Tulsa would have been much more convenient for me with my customers and also their flight times...oh great....one now has to spend at least one night and can't make a day trip. Looks like another winner schedule ala MSY. Woo Who HP
Old Jan 18, 2005, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool You people know HP is lacking planes.

Man, you guys are picky. If HP announced Tulsa, you'd complain about no OKC service.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
While I'm no Oklahoma fan and can't understand why anyone would want to go/live there, I'm glad HP is covering this hole in their network.
Me too, although I wouldn't want to be on HP 6717. ~3:20am, ouch!

Good job HP, though. ^
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:18 am

Location: Oklahoma City, OK - NWA Gold - AA Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Gold
Programs: NW, CO, WN, HH
yeah, that 3:30 looks like a pain. but shoot, it's vegas.

yeah, it's RJ service here and i think this will help the fare competition to all west coast destinations with the legacies and southwest.

welcome to OKC!
Old Jan 19, 2005, 9:25 am

Location: Oklahoma City, OK - NWA Gold - AA Gold - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Gold
Programs: NW, CO, WN, HH

A lot of west coasters say that. But ask many people who live in Tulsa and they'll say there's no place like it for them. I've hit 63 cities over the last 2 years and I'd still love to settle down in Tulsa. I'm in OKC right now and, well, that's a different story. OKC's alright and you can definitely tell it's growth is continuous; but this is a fine example of urban sprawl. Norman, The University of Oklahoma's town, is now theoretically a suburb of OKC. There used to be about 20 minutes of just open fields on the side of the highway.

Give it a try before you throw out a statement like that.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:08 am

Okc

Being an HP employee, all I can say its about time HP had some kind of Oklahoma service. A couple of years back when I work at the res. office I get paxs from time to time asking about flying to TUL or OKC. I always told paxs ICT or DFW was the closet HP gets to OK. Although, back when HP was in bed in Continental we would book paxs to TUL/OKC on a codeshare flight via IAH.

Its my guest that HP decided to try OKC instead of TUL due to fact that WN has nonstops already to TUL from PHX. It would be more difficult for HP to try to compete head to head with WN because this has been an "established" route for WN (they already has a strong presence in TUL). Furthermore, in HP's view, TUL (or OKC) does not have enough market share traffic to 2 LCC airlines to compete on this route. So OKC is the next best alternative for HP. Perhaps if OKC is proven it can do well, maybe in time HP will add TUL.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 11:15 am

Programs: US/CO/AA/MR Plat
Originally Posted by skyfly
Its my guest that HP decided to try OKC instead of TUL due to fact that WN has nonstops already to TUL from PHX. It would be more difficult for HP to try to compete head to head with WN because this has been an "established" route for WN (they already has a strong presence in TUL). Furthermore, in HP's view, TUL (or OKC) does not have enough market share traffic to 2 LCC airlines to compete on this route. So OKC is the next best alternative for HP. Perhaps if OKC is proven it can do well, maybe in time HP will add TUL.
Southwest flies from OKC to PHX three times a day non-stop and four from OKC on Sunday's.

Would you rather take a 50 seat CRJ or a 737 on Southwest?

Thank goodness I don't go to OKC because the RJ flight would not be fun.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 4:38 pm

I stand corrected

Thanks SDL. I guess I stand corrected. I did not realize WN had non-stop flights to OKC from PHX. I only knew they had TUL. Thanks for pointing this out.---skyfly
Old Jun 12, 2005, 7:38 am

Programs: OnePass
I've lived in Oklahoma for about 20 of my 23 years and can't think of a more beautiful place in the world. It has such remarkable diversity, from the dry, barren west that includes a small desert, to the lush forested east with its hundreds of lakes. It's comments like this that really make me angry because they typically come from people on one of the coasts who have never even been to the state and literally still think Indians roam the plains hunting buffalo. Oklahoma is, however, the tribal headquarters for 39 tribes and has a population of over 250,000 Native Americans. They don't live in teepees anymore, by the way. As far as aviation is concerned, the FAA Training Center is located in Oklahoma City and more astronauts have come from Oklahoma than from any other state. I'm from Oklahoma and I'm damn proud. I graduated from the University of Oklahoma, I plan to return here when I get out of the military and I plan on raising my kids here, because as far as traditional values are concerned, you aren't going to find a better place in the world. The people are some of the best in the world, as well, and 99.9% of the time you will get a small wave as you pass someone on the highway, compared to the finger you might get in the West or the East. I still get goosebumps anytime I hear a large brass band play "Oklahoma!" People are going to say you have the right to your own opinion, but if you had any type of long term experience here you wouldn't be making ignorant comments like that.

Originally Posted by SDLFlyer
Southwest flies from OKC to PHX three times a day non-stop and four from OKC on Sunday's. Would you rather take a 50 seat CRJ or a 737 on Southwest? Thank goodness I don't go to OKC because the RJ flight would not be fun.
I really don't see the difference...are the seats any smaller on an RJ than on a mainline plane? From my understanding, there are just fewer of them. When i fly, my face is plastered to the window anyway, so I don't care if there are 50 seats or 250.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 7:53 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
OKC has changed a lot in the last few years. Nearly $1 billion has been reinvested in the city center alone, resulting in the creation of a rather compact, new, clean and vibrant downtown. One sign of the renaissance: a daily Amtrak "shuttle" between Oklahoma City and Ft. Worth reports that more pax actually use the train to visit Oklahoma, rather than escape (it used to be the other way around).

It will never be New York, but it does have a certain charm that is starting to draw more people to it.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SoonerJedi

I really don't see the difference...are the seats any smaller on an RJ than on a mainline plane? From my understanding, there are just fewer of them. When i fly, my face is plastered to the window anyway, so I don't care if there are 50 seats or 250.
The seats are smaller on the RJ (narrower than a mainline plane). On HP, the pitch (distance between seats) is about the same -- 31".

BTW, you are an excellent writer. I hope that you are able to use those skills in your chosen vocation.
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:44 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Actually America West flew to Oklahoma before.... back in 1983/84. Service to both Oklahoma City and Tulsa... routes included PHX-OKC/TUL, OKC-TUL, ABQ-OKC, ABQ-TUL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.