FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   Best Chance for Upgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/439853-best-chance-upgrade.html)

cpmairtight Jun 3, 2005 7:04 pm

Best Chance for Upgrade ON PHX to EWR or PHL

Im a GOLD member. . . I travel to Newark and Philly quite a bit from PHX.
AND I CAN'T GET AN UPGRADE TO SAVE MY LIFE!!.

What flights and times seem to work the best for GOLD members getting an upgrade to and from Philly and Newark. I need help, coach is killing me!!!!!

:D

stewabr Jun 3, 2005 8:22 pm

I'm Platinum with over 90K miles this year already and I fly to PHL every week and my upgrade percentage on the Thursday 5:55(now 6:10pm) flight from PHL-PHX is only around 70%. On the way back I go overnight through LAS whenever possible and I'm above 95% on that route. I've been on this for around a year and the overnight flight doesn't exist during every season so I end up on late afternoon Sunday flight, once again, 75% or so.

What I was told by a FF agent is that a large percentage of people setting in first are elites using mileage upgrades and that it hurts the rest of us that aren't willing to do that.

Edited so that it now makes sense. Mileage was an important word there.

divrdrew Jun 5, 2005 8:05 am

We put together an upgrade database at upgradesuccess.com that will (hopefully) answer these questions if we can get enough people to enter segment details (e.g. successful and unsuccessful upgrades). At this point, HP is on the data entry page and will be shortly added to the summary table on the front page of the site. We're also going to shortly add a separate summary table that will have a breakdown by elite status as well as full search functionality that will enable segement searches.

nightmare339 Jun 5, 2005 12:31 pm

It is weird, but I always call after the window. For some reason I automatically upgrade on some routes or legs and not on others, but when I call I am 100% on upgrades this year. My wife as companion when she flys with me is about 75%. This encompasses several routes including mexico routes.

rjp6902 Jun 12, 2005 8:50 am

I always have better luck when I call.

cpmairtight Jun 12, 2005 9:17 pm

Calling

Originally Posted by rjp6902
I always have better luck when I call.

I recently figured that out. I NEVER get upgraded on my MKE-PHX trips, but last time, I couldn't sleep . . . called at about 10pm ish . . . Lucky me . . . a seat was released, and I got it! My collegue was pissed . . . :D

When is best to call? I guess if I am Gold, I should call just prior to the 48hr window. Any hints on gaming the system?

BillScann Jun 12, 2005 11:32 pm

Calling when the upgrade window opens is the the best advice I've picked-up in this forum. Although I've just become Gold via a status match, I've been upgraded on all legs of a DCA-PHX-SFO-PHX-DCA trip.

Calling seems to be the key.

garyhartaz Jun 13, 2005 9:45 am

Yes, calling is the best plan!

Originally Posted by BillScann
Calling when the upgrade window opens is the the best advice I've picked-up in this forum. Although I've just become Gold via a status match, I've been upgraded on all legs of a DCA-PHX-SFO-PHX-DCA trip.

Calling seems to be the key.

AWA analyst will review revenue F seats on a frequent basis and normally release them between 4-6am and 7-9pm. So when you get the e-mail stating you were not upgraded, call and see if there is availablity because the upgrade check occured between 12:15-2:00am. If it isn't available, call after 9pm that same day.

On very popular routes, you may just be out of luck but still call when you wake up the day of the flight as they still may hold revenue seats right up until 2 hours before the flight.

Good luck!

cpmairtight Jun 13, 2005 6:33 pm

Final Question

Originally Posted by garyhartaz
AWA analyst will review revenue F seats on a frequent basis and normally release them between 4-6am and 7-9pm. . . !

Are those PHX times, I assume so. . . but I figured I'd ask.

garyhartaz Jun 14, 2005 2:05 pm

Yes on the time zone

Originally Posted by cpmairtight
Are those PHX times, I assume so. . . but I figured I'd ask.

Yes those are based on Phoenix.

cpmairtight Jun 16, 2005 8:16 am

Update

The Irony
FINALLY Got upgraded. First time all year :D
I go to the gate yesterday and heard "Mr cpmairtight, please report to the podium." :confused:
We all know what is coming next.
GA: "We have to downgrade you, a seat is broken, and the occupant is paying full fare, your out!" :( BUT we will still take care of you, meal and drinks are still coming your way.

Never did get those drinks or the meal, no real loss, but I am dying to know who in thier right mind would pay full fare for a F seat on AWA? No offense, but there are not that many domestic F products worth paying for.

I called again, and got upgrade on the way home, can't wait to see what excuse is used for this downgrade...

Can't catch a break. oh well

garyhartaz Jun 16, 2005 10:35 am

The Irony
FINALLY Got upgraded. First time all year :D
I go to the gate yesterday and heard "Mr cpmairtight, please report to the podium." :confused:
We all know what is coming next.
GA: "We have to downgrade you, a seat is broken, and the occupant is paying full fare, your out!" :( BUT we will still take care of you, meal and drinks are still coming your way.

Never did get those drinks or the meal, no real loss, but I am dying to know who in thier right mind would pay full fare for a F seat on AWA? No offense, but there are not that many domestic F products worth paying for.

I called again, and got upgrade on the way home, can't wait to see what excuse is used for this downgrade...

Can't catch a break. oh well

I am one of those "out of my mind" people who will pay for a F considering how cramped and crappy coach is! I am paying for space, period! I need to usually work on the flight and a coach seat is almost impossible to work in, especially when the person in front reclines.

The meal, drinks, movie mean nothing to me and in fact are only worth $20 all together. Think of domestic F like the real estate market....it's all about the space (land).

The broken seat takes me back to my other post in another thread about the condition of AWA's F class seats. They really need to take care of business in the interior maintenance department. I urge every FF member to write and complain.

sdix Jun 16, 2005 6:13 pm

but I am dying to know who in thier right mind would pay full fare for a F seat on AWA? No offense, but there are not that many domestic F products worth paying for.

I've started flying SJC - PHX on a pretty regular basis on HP since AA abandoned the route. I have zero status on HP but I buy a FC seat because when I book on the web, there's always the message "you can upgrade to F for only XXX"

The difference between the coach and FC seat has been $30 -40. Well worth it for a FC seat.

I also appreciate that FC pax can use the lounge without charge. Free booze is great!

cpmairtight Jun 17, 2005 7:07 am

Many apologies . . . I guess if it makes economic sense when we talk about an additional 30-40 bucks, but I have never seen that before. Often the difference is several hundred dollars.

I would like to recant my statement, a thoughtless moment. Sorry again.

garyhartaz Jun 17, 2005 10:40 am

Many apologies . . . I guess if it makes economic sense when we talk about an additional 30-40 bucks, but I have never seen that before. Often the difference is several hundred dollars.

I would like to recant my statement, a thoughtless moment. Sorry again.

No worries and you are right, sometimes the cost is several hundred dollars. For instance, I need to go to Boston on Monday. A fully refundable ticket is $989 but First is $1299 with the travel insurance which is just like a refundable ticket.

The upgrade from a normal non-refundable ticket on the other hand is usually higher. If I book the same ticket a week later, the cost is $439 and First remains $1299 but I would still pay it for the reasons I stated above. I don't like the First lottery on the long-haul because 4.5 hours + in coach STINKS.