Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska wants to buy HP?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2005, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Angry Alaska wants to buy HP?

Seems that now HP is the belle of the ball. Everyone wants a dance.

Alaska Air: Circling Over The America West Deal

I'm hoping AS keeps away from HP.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA Prem. Exec, HP Plat, DL, NW, Hertz #1 Gold, Emerald Club
The plot thickens.........
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
USAir would be left out and Phoenix would lose big time.....
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

I was thinking the same thing. The HQ would move to Seattle, and Phoenix would lose jobs and service.

I'm thinking of firing off a letter to Sen. McCain's office and maybe the Gov.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given how little HP and its new investors propose to pay for USAir's gates and slots (DCA and LGA), I assume that a lot of other airlines will examine the possibilities prior to the finalization of the purchase by HP. The slots appraised last year for between $347 million and $462 million and the gates were appraised for between $15 million to $98 million more. The current proposal doesn't pay anywhere near that much for those assets.

Link to appraisal summary:

http://www.donlinrecano.net/dr201/mw...00006-0000.pdf
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:04 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Now some pros close to the industry say Alaska Air Holdings (ALK ), which owns Alaska Airlines, may make a bid to buy AWA, without disturbing the proposed merger, leaving Alaska the bigger shareholder in the new merged company
Usairways would still be included in the new company but Phoenix would lose.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 10:10 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1P, USAIR Gold, HP Gold, AS MVP(G), Best West Dia, Mexicana Exec, AA Nada
Wink

Originally Posted by planeluvr

That would be spectacular. I am an AS MVP(G), HP Gold, And US AIR Gold. What a perfect match of three airlines. Hopefully a large airline able to compete with UA, Delta and American that isn't in a stupid worthless alliance. All we need to do is add Northwest and The greatest airline domestic carrier would be born. US Air's east coast, Northwest's mid-west, HP's southwest and AS pacific northwest. Maybe us tax payers could quit having to bail out the airline industry and we would get a carrier that actually worked and didn't feel like a greyhound in the sky (sorry Southwest, Frontier, and Jet Blue). Someone figure out Florida though, because that is beyond me. One of the most visited state and yet no major airline, whats the deal.

I hate to say this, but competition has killed the airline industry. I know it is great to have $150 fares to anywhere, but with almost every airline in banruptcy or losing money hand over fist something has to change. If you like paying $150 then fly the above mentioned (Southwest, Frontier or Jet Blue). I started as an AA advantage member in 1983 (11 years old) and I remember paying (mommy actually) more for tickets then than we pay now.

As an international and domestic business traveller I have always found it strange that most other countries have 1 or 2 major airlines (some 3) whereas we have dozens. Over competition can hurt just as much as monopoly.

Last concern, Phoenix would not necessarily be hit by a merger, look at Nortwest's model. They are creating hubs or mini hubs all over DTW, MSP, IND, MKE and it seems to be working. They keep adding more and more routes and being an IND flyer I can attest from IND most flights are near full.

This is just my opinion. I love HP, AS and NWA (my three favorite domestic carriers and targets for elite tier tops on each this year).

Even though I am a UA 1P and USAir gold and have sworn them off this year (too much bad business) I am glad US Air will be gone except in name. UA and USAir have sucky mid tier programs and horrible management.

Boy am I going to get flamed for this post.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:24 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
What you are seeing here is the realization by Alaska that they are going to be marginalized by the major network carriers and a robust domestic and international competitor in the form of the new USAirways.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'd rather see Alaska/HP than US/HP. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see them in action, but I just don't have any good experiences with US.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:02 am

Programs: DL DM MM, MH Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'd rather see Alaska/HP than US/HP. Maybe I'll change my mind when I see them in action, but I just don't have any good experiences with US.
And I'm just the opposite. Of course all of my business seems to be in DC, PHL and NY and the only AS flight I've ever taken was a miserable experience. I don't want Alaska anywhere near this deal.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: AA ExecutivePlat; Delta Platinum; Aeroplan Prestige; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by planeluvr
Would US Airways be included? Or would it simply be the purchase of AWA by Alaska Air Group? I would hope that US gets in on some part of the deal.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 11:25 am

Programs: AA ExecutivePlat; Delta Platinum; Aeroplan Prestige; SPG Platinum
Nevermind -- just answered my own question. This article makes the whole process a little more clear: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...3alaska03.html
Old Jun 3, 2005, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Yeah, but you don't want to see AS' frequent flyer program. They've trashed it more than HP did to theirs.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Yeah, but you don't want to see AS' frequent flyer program. They've trashed it more than HP did to theirs.
That is a ridiculous statement. Alaska Airlines is far better for earning, redemption, and elite benefits.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by stewabr
... the only AS flight I've ever taken was a miserable experience. I don't want Alaska anywhere near this deal.
Doesn't sound to me like you got enough data points there.

The Alaska FF program, BTW, is far better and healthier than FlightFund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.