Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska wants to buy HP?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2005, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by JohnMD
Nevermind -- just answered my own question. This article makes the whole process a little more clear: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...3alaska03.html
Interesting. There's a great quote at the end of the article:
Aviation consultant Mike Boyd says more players are bound to appear. "We have not seen all the shoes drop," he said. "By the time this is done it's going to look like Imelda Marcos' closet."
Old Jun 3, 2005, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BearX220
The Alaska FF program, BTW, is far better and healthier than FlightFund.
I'm not too familiar with Alaska but there seems to be no upper elite tier. So fly 50K miles maximum and you get all the bennies. Seems like you would have ALOT of their MVP Golds fighting for upgrades.

The extra 50K if you fly 75K actual flight miles is nice but I feel I'd be doing alot more sitting in coach as my company flies the cheapest ticket which probably wouldn't qualify me for immediate upgrade.

There are some nice things there but I'm afraid we be too flooded with only 2 tiers.

Lance
Old Jun 3, 2005, 3:20 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
Exclamation

Alaska insiders are saying there are not interested at this time.
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, MH Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiegoShaun
Alaska insiders are saying there are not interested at this time.
Yep, on the local news here it was reported that AS has absolutely no interest in this deal. This was confirmed by both parties from what they said.
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
On the topic of "how-much-I-like-the-airline", the AS-HP combination would really excite me. While I have not had any positive experiences on US since they were Alleghany, Alaska has really done right by me on my trips to the Pacific Northwest.

I particularly like AS' promiscuous FF benefits, where I could get credit on nearly every airline on earth for flying AS. The service in first class usually was very good, and in general the flights were direct and on-time, even in the dark days when HP was America Worst.

On the other hand, AS-HP only would still not get us any straight exposure in trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic markets - we would still need to get on AA or NW to find anyone who doesn't speak English or Spanish.

Interesting times we live in.
Old Jun 5, 2005, 7:27 am

Programs: SPG Plat, UA 1P, USAIR Gold, HP Gold, AS MVP(G), Best West Dia, Mexicana Exec, AA Nada
Go AS Go AS
Old Jun 5, 2005, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
Alaska Airlines is far better for earning, redemption, and elite benefits.
v. HP, that's an understatement!

On top of that, AS mainline is the most pleasant to fly on the west-coast, over HP, WN, and TED (unless you get E+, which makes it a wash IMO).
Old Jun 7, 2005, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA ExecutivePlat; Delta Platinum; Aeroplan Prestige; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Wilbur
On the topic of "how-much-I-like-the-airline", the AS-HP combination would really excite me. While I have not had any positive experiences on US since they were Alleghany, Alaska has really done right by me on my trips to the Pacific Northwest.

I particularly like AS' promiscuous FF benefits, where I could get credit on nearly every airline on earth for flying AS. The service in first class usually was very good, and in general the flights were direct and on-time, even in the dark days when HP was America Worst.

On the other hand, AS-HP only would still not get us any straight exposure in trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic markets - we would still need to get on AA or NW to find anyone who doesn't speak English or Spanish.

Interesting times we live in.
I truly believe that the HP-US merger opens up the possibilities for the new airline; trans-pacific and more (expanded) trans-Atlantic service is not unthinkable IMHO. The new airline will have access to whole new breed of customers with hubs in the west and east with excellent international potential. The process of international expansion is, of course, a slow process but the possibilities are unlimited!

AS restricts the new airline to N.A.; which, at this time, is unprofitable and crowded.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
On top of that, AS mainline is the most pleasant to fly on the west-
Whatever. There's nothing glorious about flying AS.
Old Jun 7, 2005, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Whatever. There's nothing glorious about flying AS.
Compared to America West, Alaska is much, much better. America West doesn't even clean its planes. They are usually just filthy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.