FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   What will be te 59 aircraft to go bye bye? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/434636-what-will-te-59-aircraft-go-bye-bye.html)

TravelDude May 19, 2005 7:15 pm

What will be te 59 aircraft to go bye bye?

Did they say on the call, I did not see anything in the press release. Hopefully all those crappy 737 they both fly.

Also, what is the current fleet make up of both carriers?

AZ Travels the World May 19, 2005 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by TravelDude

Did they say on the call, I did not see anything in the press release. Hopefully all those crappy 737 they both fly.

He said the 767's will be replaced with A330's, to be later replaced with the new A350's (as the new model's first customer).

HP's program has been to gradually replace the 737's with A320's & A319's. Given the Airbus equity participation in this deal, it's safe to assume that will continue, though I didn't hear the specifics on the call today.

martin33 May 19, 2005 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by TravelDude

it's 71 aircraft going buh-bye, all at US Airways. 13 A320's are being delivered to HP, for a net systemwide reduction of 58 aircraft. Presumably HP is cancelling any retirements it had been eyeing within its own fleet.

ByrdluvsAWACO May 19, 2005 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by martin33
it's 71 aircraft going buh-bye, all at US Airways. 13 A320's are being delivered to HP, for a net systemwide reduction of 58 aircraft. Presumably HP is cancelling any retirements it had been eyeing within its own fleet.

HP can't begin to retire any aircraft until 2008.

GotCalcio4 May 19, 2005 9:39 pm

GE is US's largest aircraft supplier. US had an order for up to 400 Airbus planes that it placed in 1997. That order was delayed and many planes were cancelled during the first trip through Ch11, and the remainder of the narrow-body deliveries have been cancelled by now. US's only surviving order is for additional A330 aircraft, most if not all of which have been converted into an order for A330-200 aircraft, designed to complement the A330-300's that are in current use and to replace the aging 767-200's, most of which US received in fulfillment of PI's original order for them in the late 1980's.

As martin33 said, the aircraft will all be coming from US. US owns a very large portion of its Boeing fleet. On the other hand, they own very little of their Airbus fleet. I don't believe that any lessors would want the Boeings back, so would it be safe to assume that mostly Airbus aircraft will be returned? If so, returning 71 planes will put a huge damper on the number of Airbus aircraft the new airline will fly. Will we be seeing the Boeings around for a lot longer than we expected?

snokums925 May 19, 2005 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
HP can't begin to retire any aircraft until 2008.

Actually, I just got done listening to the employee webcast that Doug just did from CHQ. There are 59 aircraft going away, most of those will be US but HP will lose some 737's and 319's. US has already started preparing to remove theirs from service. No time frame on when HP will lose ours. Doug did say that the lessor wants them back at staggered times so they can get rid of them (probably to Asia like the TZ birds).
Look for the US name to start appearing by the end of the year, after the courts approve the transaction.

ByrdluvsAWACO May 19, 2005 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by snokums925
Actually, I just got done listening to the employee webcast that Doug just did from CHQ. There are 59 aircraft going away, most of those will be US but HP will lose some 737's and 319's.

59 over what time period? There are actually 71 US planes going away by the end of 2006.

I wonder how HP ended up losing some A319's? Those are HP's transcon workhorses. It wasn't mentioned in the press release.

HeHateY May 20, 2005 12:30 am

Remember that some of HP's A320's where originally ordered by Braniff II and thus are a bit long in the tooth for A320's.

(Are they even pre-wingtips like some of AF's?)

Of course then there are the 757's that both companies have which were ordered by EA and the US 767's and 737's that were delivered to PI.

RICflyer May 20, 2005 5:45 am

Originally Posted by martin33

Hey martin33 where are you getting all your information??? All the planes are not coming from US some are coming from HP this has to do with GE wanting to lower its exposure to the new airline. In another post you said there would be a 25% staff reduction at US which also is not true. I have been listening to the webcast and Doug has been very open about providing information for customers and employees.

snokums925 May 20, 2005 8:02 am

Transcons

59 over what time period? There are actually 71 US planes going away by the end of 2006.

I wonder how HP ended up losing some A319's? Those are HP's transcon workhorses. It wasn't mentioned in the press release.

That is another issue--no more transcons. Scott Kirby said HP is pulling the plug for now on the BOS/JFK-LAX routes. He did say that you will continue to see US and their PHL-LAX.

ByrdluvsAWACO May 20, 2005 11:53 am

What?????????????

That is another issue--no more transcons. Scott Kirby said HP is pulling the plug for now on the BOS/JFK-LAX routes. He did say that you will continue to see US and their PHL-LAX.

When did he say that? That would be completely stupid. The loads on those flights were doing good.

This totally eliminates HP as an option out of LAX.

formeraa May 20, 2005 12:12 pm

When did he say that? That would be completely stupid. The loads on those flights were doing good.

I know I sound like a broken record, but high load factors do NOT necessarily mean profitable flights. Heck, I could stimulate a lot of demand from BOS-LAX by offering $99 each way (and throw in a free meal and you've got people lining up by the hundreds).

snokums925 May 20, 2005 12:55 pm

This was also brought up and confirmed in an early conference call this morning.

ByrdluvsAWACO May 20, 2005 2:11 pm

I can't believe it.

This was also brought up and confirmed in an early conference call this morning.

Well that just sucks. I was considering coming back to HP on some transcons, but now their network is even more useless.

I just listened to that webcast. :td:

martin33 May 20, 2005 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by RICflyer
All the planes are not coming from US some are coming from HP this has to do with GE wanting to lower its exposure to the new airline. In another post you said there would be a 25% staff reduction at US which also is not true. I have been listening to the webcast and Doug has been very open about providing information for customers and employees.

do you really think they'd announce any bad news straight-faced in the midst of all the hoopla? of course not.

the people-elimination plans follow directly from two sources: 1) the fleet reduction plan, and the needed "rightsizing" of US to make the merger work; and 2) Doug's own statements at the webcasts-- combine the one about "35,000 jobs" with the one about not needing "42,000 people", and the bodycount calculates itself... one can presume they'll all be ex-US bodies.

as to counting planes, the source is their own press release-- 71 US Airways planes going, almost all returning to GE:

Fleet/Route System
US Airways/US Airways Express currently serves 179 cities and America West/America West Express serves 96 cities. When merged, the combined airline will become the nation’s fifth largest airline, as measured by domestic Available Seat Miles (ASMs). The combined airline is expected to operate a mainline fleet of 361 planes (supported by 239 regional jets and 57 turboprops for feed into the mainline system), down from a total of 419 mainline aircraft operated by both airlines at the beginning of 2005.

US Airways projects returning 25 additional aircraft by the end of 2006, in addition to the 46 aircraft that US Airways already has announced it plans to return. Nearly all of the aircraft are being returned to General Electric Capital Aviation Services (GECAS). The combined airline also will take delivery of 13 Airbus A320 family aircraft previously ordered by America West Airlines.