FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   HP/US: What happens to the miles? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/434516-hp-us-what-happens-miles.html)

devildc May 19, 2005 12:39 pm

HP/US: What happens to the miles?

I asked this question of the USAToday travel writer in his internet chat yesterday, but didn't get a concrete answer. I live in the DC area and fly a lot to Phoenix and Vegas, where my family is... thus I use HP for cross-country travel and US for East Coast and transatlantic. Can anyone tell me what's going to happen to the frequent flier plans and whether the miles are going to be merged, or if there's some other plan?

Thanks all... this site is awesome.

AZ Travels the World May 19, 2005 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by devildc
I asked this question of the USAToday travel writer in his internet chat yesterday, but didn't get a concrete answer. I live in the DC area and fly a lot to Phoenix and Vegas, where my family is... thus I use HP for cross-country travel and US for East Coast and transatlantic. Can anyone tell me what's going to happen to the frequent flier plans and whether the miles are going to be merged, or if there's some other plan?

Since there is not yet a deal or any specifics available regarding what might happen with the two airlines respective frequent flyer programs, one can only surmise. Based upon history (edited to add: and assuming the merger transaction that is being discussed in the media), I would expect a single program to be formed and for people to be given a significant period of time to consolidate their two accounts into a single one.

American did this when they acquired TWA in bankruptcy. They set up a web site you could go to and link your old TWA account with your American account, effectively transfering your TWA miles into your AA account. There were some issues to work through, such as names being slightly different in the two programs, addresses not matching, and the like, but you could call and get them resolved.

Don't hold your breath for answers to questions of this detail. Assuming a deal happens, it will no doubt take a while for them to sort through everything.

fly747first May 19, 2005 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by devildc

As the moderator explained, assuming the merger goes through, there are lots of issues to be worked out. In this case, one would expect Dividend Miles to be more dominant over FlightFund just because the DM program is already set up to follow Star Alliance standards. Most likely, HP Plat and Gold members will receive *A GOLD benefits, while HP Silvers will receive *A SILVER benefits.

I'm almost certain that members of both programs will keep all their miles, though redeemption opportunities may slightly change. HP and BA are partners; US and QF are partners, if HP and US merge, you would have two oneworld members in their program, not sure the Star Alliance would be thrilled about this.

AZ_MISMAN May 19, 2005 3:28 pm

It's official at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434551. The press-release talks about integrating the mileage programs, but I don't remember the details.

Bob

fireworksboy May 19, 2005 3:32 pm

The latest from America West announcement:
"Both airlines' frequent flyer programs will ultimately be combined once the merger is complete. Members of both programs will retain all of their miles and elite status designation and will receive similar benefits in the merged airline's frequent flyer program. Other customer amenities will include access to airport clubs, assigned seating and First Class upgrades."

legionnaire May 19, 2005 3:53 pm

Hmm. i wonder how soon i can redeem my 100k HP miles on a *A carrier :)

seat 50J May 19, 2005 6:36 pm

I want to redeem some miles on magazines! HP is a milepoint participant. US Airways left about a month ago.

Brendan May 26, 2005 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by seat 50J
I want to redeem some miles on magazines! HP is a milepoint participant. US Airways left about a month ago.

USAirways miles can now be redeemed for magazines via points.com.
YGPM.

NeoOfTheCRS May 26, 2005 6:57 pm

Its the magic of an FAQ!

http://www.americawest.com/aboutawa/.../us_faqs.htm#8

How will the change affect US Airways' Dividend Miles and the America West FlightFund programs?

No immediate merger-related changes to our award-winning FlightFund program are scheduled to take place, but after the merger closes, FlightFund and US Airways' Dividend Miles program will be combined to create the industry's premier frequent flyer program. Of course, all miles earned in either program prior to the creation of the new program will retain their full value for redemption on the combined carrier.

Members of both carriers' frequent flyer programs will be pleased to know that the new airline will select the best features and amenities of Dividend Miles and FlightFund to create the world's leading loyalty program. From earning opportunities through travel, credit card, and other unique partnerships, to modern, effortless redemption processes, the new program will leverage the experience of two of the industry's best programs.

FlightFund and Dividend Miles members are encouraged to ensure that their current email address is on file with each airline to ensure timely notification of changes to each program.

What will be the effect on the Elite programs?
Once the programs merge (see above), the combined elite program will provide members with the exclusive perks and amenities that they have worked so hard to earn. The combined airline will endeavor to show our gratitude with an elite program that does everything possible to make their travel as enjoyable as possible. Full details of the combined elite program will be announced as they become available.

In the USAirways Dividend Miles FAQ it states that Flight Fund will be merged into the Dividend Miles program

What will happen to my frequent flyer miles?

Once the merger is approved, our frequent flyer programs will be combined under the Dividend Miles brand. Your mileage balance is secure and will be transferred into the combined program.

Will I need to do anything to ensure that my account balances are combined?

We will handle all such arrangements, however, it is good practice to keep your own tally on your account activity. If you do note a discrepancy, please contact us immediately for Dividend Miles questions. You should contact America West for any questions or information regarding FlightFund or America West products and services.

username May 29, 2005 2:37 pm

My concern is the future of the 15,000 mile awards. I wonder how would that work. It would be a major revenue loser for US on the east coast, I think, if they expand that to current US routes (like NYC-BOS-WAS Shuttle).

Note that Air Canada has also the 15,000 mile awards.

I guess the possible outcomes are:

1 - elimination of the 15,000 mile award on HP/US - would HP existing miles be grandfathered?
2 - expansion of the 15,000 mile award on the entire HP/US network - would expensive routes on the east coast be eligible?
3 - HP/US/AC have reciprocal 15,000 mile award arrangements
4 - HP/US/AC/UA have reciprocal 15,000 mile award arrangements (that would be too good to be true)

JohnMD Jun 2, 2005 8:35 am

Originally Posted by username
My concern is the future of the 15,000 mile awards. I wonder how would that work. It would be a major revenue loser for US on the east coast, I think, if they expand that to current US routes (like NYC-BOS-WAS Shuttle).

Note that Air Canada has also the 15,000 mile awards.

I guess the possible outcomes are:

1 - elimination of the 15,000 mile award on HP/US - would HP existing miles be grandfathered?
2 - expansion of the 15,000 mile award on the entire HP/US network - would expensive routes on the east coast be eligible?
3 - HP/US/AC have reciprocal 15,000 mile award arrangements
4 - HP/US/AC/UA have reciprocal 15,000 mile award arrangements (that would be too good to be true)

Air Canada's 15,000 miles award is a great redemption offer as it is very convenient for all East-Coast fliers; it extends to all neighboring provinces and states (so I fly free to Montreal, Toronto, Quebec City, Washington D.C., etc.) I would hope US Airways would adopt a similar model of redeeming miles with the integration of AWA Flight Fund..

ByrdluvsAWACO Jun 2, 2005 9:46 am

The airlines control their awards.

Originally Posted by username
My concern is the future of the 15,000 mile awards. I wonder how would that work. It would be a major revenue loser for US on the east coast,...

It's called yeild management. They can control how many 15k awards are available at any given time.

username Jun 3, 2005 10:12 pm

Does anyone know if they use two different inventory buckets for 25,000 and 15,000 mile awards now?

Thanks.