FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   How would you change a new HP/US airline? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/434180-how-would-you-change-new-hp-us-airline.html)

DC-USCP-UAPE May 18, 2005 3:18 pm

How would you change a new HP/US airline?

Assuming the merger goes through, combining these airlines will provide an opportunity to make changes in both strategy and the frequent flyer program.

What would you change?

olympicnut May 18, 2005 4:24 pm

Add HP to the *A. Keep the name America West! But, if they're gonna us US's name, change it back to USAir, and change the livery of those ugly black planes! Yes I know its suppose to be blue but come on, they look black. And can ya imagine all those a/c at PHX in that dark color? LORDY! ;)

ByrdluvsAWACO May 18, 2005 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by olympicnut
Add HP to the *A.

While I would treasure a HP partnership with LX, I would want HP out of *A. Once the merger goes through, HP will have a relationship with BA & QF. All they would need to add is CX, LA, and maybe AY. This would be in addition to their existing partnership with VS and RJ.

Keep the name America West!
You know I agree. ^

But, if they're gonna us US's name, change it back to USAir
I have to disagree there. Even though I hate the name, US Airways sounds more upscale than USAir . Can you imagine if British Airways changed their name to British Air. yuk.

...and change the livery of those ugly black planes! Yes I know its suppose to be blue but come on, they look black.
Yes the mortuary livery has to go.

And can ya imagine all those a/c at PHX in that dark color? LORDY! ;)
It's supposed to be 110 by the end of the week. I wouldn't even try imagine PHX-T4 full of black aircraft in July. Just looking at it would make you hot. The US people don't seem to understand our aversion to dark things during the summer.

Having planes one shade lighter than asphalt in PHX/LAS is just plain stupid, and we here in PHX know that.

umguy May 18, 2005 5:53 pm

Well sorry. I think their colors scheme falls more into line with other international carriers. And if Royal Jordanian can pull off having their planes painted black and they are in the middle of a desert than I think you guys can survive as well.

formeraa May 18, 2005 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by umguy
Well sorry. I think their colors scheme falls more into line with other international carriers. And if Royal Jordanian can pull off having their planes painted black and they are in the middle of a desert than I think you guys can survive as well.

Does Royal Jordanian have a hub and spoke operation where 5 dozen planes have to be cooled simultaneously? That's extremely expensive and fuel INEFFICIENT!! With all due respect, it would patently stupid to paint the planes dark blue or black in the desert! Who cares whether they "fall in-line" with other international carriers?

They better be thinking about how they'll survive another year. Hopefully, Doug Parker will start this as a codeshare so that HP can bail if US's financial situation worsens.

ByrdluvsAWACO May 18, 2005 6:53 pm

Well....

Well sorry. I think their colors scheme falls more into line with other international carriers.
Where is it written that intl carriers have to have a dark livery? BA,AF,SQ,CX,JL,QF,SA,etc don't seem to follow this standard.

Originally Posted by formeraa
Does Royal Jordanian have a hub and spoke operation where 5 dozen planes have to be cooled simultaneously? That's extremely expensive and fuel INEFFICIENT!!

Exactly. RJ has a fleet of about 16 planes. Four of which are A340's which would spend most of their time outside of the deserts of the middle east. Another six of their planes are A310's which fly pax and cargo, and also spend a great deal of time out of the desert.

The remaining six planes are A320's which I'm sure RJ can afford to paint every year.

ednursevt May 19, 2005 10:48 am

Some ideas

As a US3 (almost US2) I have to say that I like our livery...the planes are crisp, sleek looking, and I like the navy blue. That said, I have to agree that if PHX is to be a hub having a bunch of dark colored planes is a bad idea. Perhaps a white background with the US colors and the AW fonts? US should change its 757 back to F12 and indeed the whole fleet should be a minimum of F12. The Dividend miles program is great...looks like Silver & Gold translate to similar levels on AW, but AW top tier is at 75K and US at 100K - Maybe split that and give top tier at 85K? Uniforms definitely need to change...I like the US plane colors but their uniforms are tired & old looking...need a more modern uniform.

There's my 2 cents...I think this will be a great partnership and definitely make it easier to go West! :cool:

fly747first May 19, 2005 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by DC-USCP-UAPE
Assuming the merger goes through, combining these airlines will provide an opportunity to make changes in both strategy and the frequent flyer program.

What would you change?

Upgrade First Class amenities immediately. Short flights should offer snack baskets a-la-US Airways. Transcontinental flights should offer meals similar to what America West offers already.

Envoy Class needs a serious uplift. Better meals, an actual Business Class style amenity kit, perhaps more Pursers/Inflight Supervisors looking after Envoy passengers, etc.

AZ Travels the World May 19, 2005 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Envoy Class needs a serious uplift. Better meals, an actual Business Class style amenity kit, perhaps more Pursers/Inflight Supervisors looking after Envoy passengers, etc.

While that would certainly be nice, given Parker's history, I'd be surprised if they go that way. I would anticipate that they'll extend most aspects of the LCC model to the international service. In that scenario, Envoy Class will still be around but it will be a far cry from international full service carrier standards. :(

Hopefully there will still be Star Alliance, BA & QF options on many of the same routes. Though, I have to say, that sounds too good to be true.

martin33 May 19, 2005 7:03 pm

Upgrade First Class amenities immediately. Short flights should offer snack baskets a-la-US Airways. Transcontinental flights should offer meals similar to what America West offers already.

given the immediate systemwide adoption of HP's fare scheme, it would be unreasonable to assume anything other than imposition of HP's F meal plan-- i.e., slim going on none... and for the US side of the system, increasingly it will be none as their mainline fleet shrinks by 71 aircraft over the next 18 months...

assuming the model's extension to overseas service would point to something more like an Economy Plus service as the new mode for Envoy. only slightly better servicewise than coach but tons cheaper than traditional Business.

fly747first May 19, 2005 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by martin33
given the immediate systemwide adoption of HP's fare scheme, it would be unreasonable to assume anything other than imposition of HP's F meal plan-- i.e., slim going on none... and for the US side of the system, increasingly it will be none as their mainline fleet shrinks by 71 aircraft over the next 18 months...

assuming the model's extension to overseas service would point to something more like an Economy Plus service as the new mode for Envoy. only slightly better servicewise than coach but tons cheaper than traditional Business.

Maybe I missed something, but where are you getting this information from? I highly doubt US mainline fleet will shrink by 71 aircraft.

ByrdluvsAWACO May 19, 2005 7:33 pm

Maybe I missed something, but where are you getting this information from? I highly doubt US mainline fleet will shrink by 71 aircraft.

US Airways projects returning 25 additional aircraft by the end of 2006, in addition to the 46 aircraft that US Airways already has announced it plans to return. Nearly all of the aircraft are being returned to General Electric Capital Aviation Services (GECAS).

71 planes.

HP Press Release

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Hopefully there will still be ... BA & QF options on many of the same routes. Though, I have to say, that sounds too good to be true.

Did you notice how they said nothing in the FAQ about whether the BA, NW,VS, or HA partnerships would be affected?

AZ Travels the World May 19, 2005 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Did you notice how they said nothing in the FAQ about whether the BA, NW,VS, or HA partnerships would be affected?

Yes, it was not addressed on the conference call, either. It's one of the reasons I'm afraid the prospects of their continuation is unlikely.

As I said over in the UA forum, it would seem to make much more sense for the alliance for HP/US to sever the BA relationship and replace that extensive European/South American coverage with another alliance carrier, like LH out of their hubs, PHX in particular. HP currently feeds a ton of passengers to BA in PHX. The lack of such code-share passengers is no doubt what caused LH to fail in its brief attempt in PHX.

As sad as it makes me, I'd look for the BA relationship to end, for BA to pull out of PHX (it's reportedly low yield, anyway), and for LH to come back. :(

WebTraveler May 19, 2005 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO

Its way too early to even speculate. They are barely done meeting with each other, finance people, and creditors. Have some patience.

Speculation is that HP wanted service to Hawaii. HA should either secure a long term deal or pull its planes immediately, since there is no point continuing in the market without the HP option. Isn't NW really to Asia, and neither has ops there, so its likely that could continue.

martin33 May 19, 2005 8:36 pm

just adding up the numbers in the PR--- it's a principal source of "synergy"! yes, 71 US mainline aircraft (out of 279 as of 3/31/05) will be gone in 18 months... 25 plus 46 on the US side to exit, while 13 on the HP side to enter, a net reduction of 58 systemwide.

they've managed to stay real quiet on the impact of this-- probably because you just can't do that kind of fleet chop without massive further layoffs at the US side of the operation.. 25% of the mainline fleet is going, after all. can 25% of the labor force be far behind?