FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   Some of us may no longer be Platinums. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/428960-some-us-may-no-longer-platinums.html)

ByrdluvsAWACO May 4, 2005 9:32 am

Some of us may no longer be Platinums.

If this merger goes through, and HP adopts the thresholds of Dividend Miles(which is highly likely if HP stays in *A) how many of you will qualify for top-tier membership at 100k miles?

How many here just squeaked by the 75k(90 segment) requirement for Plat last year?

I don't see myself flying 100k on HP/US, which means, I'll probably just go for Gold at 50k.

enviroian May 4, 2005 9:40 am

Hopefully it wont' be an issue if the merger comes to fruition. 94K flight miles last year on HP, but I have to remind myself that I now would fly US for my twice a year UK trips (phx-phl-lgw or phx-clt-lgw) and easily make over the 100K...i hope :(

KevAZ May 4, 2005 10:47 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Hopefully it wont' be an issue if the merger comes to fruition. 94K flight miles last year on HP, but I have to remind myself that I now would fly US for my twice a year UK trips (phx-phl-lgw or phx-clt-lgw) and easily make over the 100K...i hope :(

Same for me, I travel internationally a lot for business and we own a home in Holland. So I would easily make it up in Int'l flights/miles

ByrdluvsAWACO May 4, 2005 11:51 am

Well, if I moved all my intl flights to HP, I'd make CP almost two times over.

However, looking at the benefits for CP I'm not sure it's worth it. Other than the 7-day upgrade window, there's not much that you wouldn't get as a Gold.

US only offers two annual one-way, fare-restricted SWU's for intl flights. In addition we as HP members will face added competition for upgrades.

enviroian, you think you're not getting upgrades now, wait until you have to compete with US' roaches. ;)

GotCalcio4 May 4, 2005 1:27 pm

US has frequenty made generous exceptions when qualifying people for status. Hopefully, though, if the merger happens all elites will become US preferreds with equivalents as follows: Silver-Silver, Gold-Gold, Platinum-Chairman's.

Also, as Platinum on HP you confirm your upgrade 3 days prior, which is the same time-frame as a US2 does.

Benefits of being a US1 are for the most part unpublished. The dedicated staff of "Liaisons" that US employs are specially trained to satisfy the needs of all US1's. The Chairman's call center offers some really, really great service to you. In the airport, etc, the needs of US1's are taken into heavy consideration, and even if its just an extra smile or an extra couple of Thank you's for flying US, to most people it really means something. If you do some searching on the US forum you may run across a thread or two about the special treatment that US1's receive. Most are very passionate about that call center!

kanerf May 4, 2005 1:53 pm

Probably won't happen. When NorthWest and Continental joined Skyteam, Delta lowered the Platinum threshold to 75K to match that of NW and CO.

ByrdluvsAWACO May 4, 2005 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by kanerf
Probably won't happen. When NorthWest and Continental joined Skyteam, Delta lowered the Platinum threshold to 75K to match that of NW and CO.

If that were the case then, I wonder if HP will lower the DM Gold/Silver bonus to 50/25% to match FlightFund . There will be a lot of pissed off DM members if that happened.

US AIRWAYS FAN May 4, 2005 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
If this merger goes through, and HP adopts the thresholds of Dividend Miles(which is highly likely if HP stays in *A) how many of you will qualify for top-tier membership at 100k miles?

How many here just squeaked by the 75k(90 segment) requirement for Plat last year?

I don't see myself flying 100k on HP/US, which means, I'll probably just go for Gold at 50k.

Hi guys!!

US Airways usually gives out many challenges to those who are short by a few miles. There is also the EXEMPTIONS desk where Carrol Blazer (sp?) and she is more than happy to give challenges out to people who ask for them.
US Airways usually has several bonus challenges with double PREFERRED miles it gives out each year. But if you are just short of making it go to the EXEMPTIONS DESK. You normally have to FAX Carrol and then within 2 or 3 days the DMSC will call you to tell you that they have given you some kind of challenge.

Since DMSC is in Winston-Salem N.C. they have a bunch of great ladies that work there. I am sure they will be more than happy to help you all out make CP if this merger were to happen. And guys remember that is still a big IF!

However, there is a twist to all this. HP is actually taking on the US Airways name. The company will be run by YOUR people from what I understand right?? But there are certain rules that I know must stay the same to stay within the *A. What those are I donīt know. But think pretty much if HP buys US your management will do something so you guys can get to the CP level. Headquarter will probably move from CCY, VA to PHX.

Who knows if any of this (the merger) will even happen.

enviroian May 4, 2005 5:31 pm

Well, if I moved all my intl flights to HP, I'd make CP almost two times over.

However, looking at the benefits for CP I'm not sure it's worth it. Other than the 7-day upgrade window, there's not much that you wouldn't get as a Gold.

US only offers two annual one-way, fare-restricted SWU's for intl flights. In addition we as HP members will face added competition for upgrades.

enviroian, you think you're not getting upgrades now, wait until you have to compete with US' roaches. ;)

Well couldn't I give the argument that yes, of course there will be more competition with US flyers vying for an upgrade, but also, there are more seats now available for upgrade, in general, systemwide?

GregLeg May 4, 2005 6:46 pm

Exactly. HP's Platinum's upgrade at a 3-day window anyway, right? So if you became US Gold's instead, doesn't sound like you've lost much, except for some people upgrading before you.

I dunno. I'm a US Silver, and I get upgraded more often than not.

ByrdluvsAWACO May 4, 2005 7:01 pm

You will be competing.

Well couldn't I give the argument that yes, of course there will be more competition with US flyers vying for an upgrade, but also, there are more seats now available for upgrade, in general, systemwide?

Yes, and no. Let's take JFK-PHX for example. Currently US has no metal flying nonstop on this route so this flight will prove very valuable to US members.

This will also be a route that carries connecting traffic in order to eliminate the double-stops for those travelling onward from PHX.

So unless HP adds more capacity, HP and US elites will be competing for upgrades on the same amount of HP metal.

The same can be said for certain routes to LAS.

I admit that this is based on the two networks as they stand today.

CMK10 May 5, 2005 6:24 pm

It would render my HP status completly useless as I'd instead utilize my 1K with UA.

fly747first May 12, 2005 3:03 am

Yep, better start praying Mary, because good old times for HP Plats will be over soon. Here's a quick summary:

1. The average US CP brings more money to the airline than the average HP Plat.

2. If #1 was not true, why do you think that HP often sells upgrades at the gate when there are Elites waiting for their "unlimited upgrades"?

3. US Airways has recently started selling upgrades at the gate, but you will never hear a Preferred member complaing about how the gate agent sold the seat for a minimal upgrade fee instead of clearing the Preferred upgrade list first.

4. Once the merger is official, HP executives will realize the many more benefits that US CPs enjoy, thus they are not going to be interested in giving away all those goodies, and will keep the highest frequent flyer status at 100,000 just to make it more exclusive and encourage more flyers to reach such status.

5. HP will love to be part of the Star Alliance, I highly doubt they will alter most aspects of the US DM Program that will anger other *A carriers.

6. The main reason why Delta brought its PM status back to 75,000 miles is because members were extremely upset with Delta after the airline changed its Medallion Program, I dont know, say 5 times in less than 2 years. It certainly was not due to the CO/NW influence. Even today, CO/NW Elites receive upgrades when flying either carrier, but not when flying Delta.

Robertsonland May 12, 2005 7:18 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Yep, better start praying Mary, because good old times for HP Plats will be over soon. Here's a quick summary:

1. The average US CP brings more money to the airline than the average HP Plat.

Do you say this because the average CP has to fly 100K vs 75K and generally pays more for a ticket than on HP? Or are their CP's usually blowing away the 100K mark thus bringing in more funds by not just getting by at 100K?

2. If #1 was not true, why do you think that HP often sells upgrades at the gate when there are Elites waiting for their "unlimited upgrades"?

Do you guys see this alot? I've never experienced it at all. Whenever I don't get upgraded the seats are completely gone. If they were holding back for revenue they were cleared at least 24 hours before the flight for check in. I've never been waiting or been on a flight where ANY elite was waiting for a F while they were announcing that there were seats available. Granted I fly the same routes and thusly don't get "around" much other than those routes but I've not talked to any other elites that have mentioned this either. Not saying it's not true as I've heard it mentioned on here but have never experienced it.

4. Once the merger is official, HP executives will realize the many more benefits that US CPs enjoy, thus they are not going to be interested in giving away all those goodies, and will keep the highest frequent flyer status at 100,000 just to make it more exclusive and encourage more flyers to reach such status.

I'm one that will not moan about 100K if we get extra benefits (7 days upgrades, albeit with holdback of revenue seats :), Europe Upgrade certs, not really much more that I'd be interested in that we don't already get)

Lance

steve64 May 12, 2005 8:30 am

I've never seen this.
They may hold back some Elite Upgrades hoping to sell the seat at a First Class fare. If the seat doesn't sell then Elites are upgraded ahead of selling upgrades to the general public.

Steve