PHX-BWI-PHX/Best Chance for F Upgrade?

Old Apr 29, 05, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-DM Silver, UA-MP Member, Hertz-Presidents Circle, Marr Rewards-Gold Elite
PHX-BWI-PHX/Best Chance for F Upgrade?

I am Silver and planning a mid-July trip (Outbound Tues noon retn Fri PM or Sat AM). Does anyone have experience w HP on this rt; regarding best flight choices for potential upgrade? Or is F usually sold out or filled with Plats. Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 05, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Prem. Exec, HP Plat, DL, NW, Hertz #1 Gold, Emerald Club
I'd say you have about zero chance for a comp upgrade to F. I'm gold and am 0 for 8 this year for upgrades into BWI. I've also gone PHX-IAD a few times as well with no luck. Use miles if you really need to be in F.
Old Apr 30, 05, 9:30 am

There is often Silver upgrade availability on this route, although your best shot will be on your Saturday return. Call at midnight the evening before each flight to maximize your chances.
Old Apr 30, 05, 12:11 pm

If you're willing to route through LAS and take the red eye to BWI, then I'd say you have a great chance - from SAN to BWI through LAS I'm 100% on upgrades as Silver.
Old May 1, 05, 7:47 am

Programs: HP,CO,DL
As a gold I'm 2 for 3 for BWI upgrades.Like matt said, Sat. seems to be the best day.
Old May 1, 05, 2:35 pm

my guess your only chance will be the one late afternoon 757 that hp flies into bwi out of phx. when i have flown that lately first is actually never full
Old May 1, 05, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
The 757s have the fewest F seats per Y seats, so technically speaking they're the worst in terms of upgrade chances. The 319s and 320s will give you the best chance for upgrade, but try to avoid the peak times, if at all possible. I too have NEVER gotten an upgrade on any WAS-PHX flight, but I've gotten lucky a few times on WAS-LAS.

Search this Thread