Congratulations to everyone at America West

Old Apr 29, 05, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Congratulations to everyone at America West

It looks like all of the hard work is paying off for all of the folks at America West...

HP took "Best Award" and "Best Elite Program" in the 2005 Freddie Awards. It's also worth noting that stong gains were made in all other categories (third in Best Award Redemption, Best Customer Service, Best Member Communications, Best Web Site, and Program of the Year).

Congratulations!!
Old Apr 29, 05, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by andrewp
It looks like all of the hard work is paying off for all of the folks at America West...

HP took "Best Award" and "Best Elite Program" in the 2005 Freddie Awards. It's also worth noting that stong gains were made in all other categories (third in Best Award Redemption, Best Customer Service, Best Member Communications, Best Web Site, and Program of the Year).

Congratulations!!
Yes, congratulations. Very nice.
Old Apr 29, 05, 11:21 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Wink

Great job HP.
Old Apr 29, 05, 11:34 am

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Thumbs down

You've got to be kidding me!!! Their program has gone to sh**. These boneheads reduce the elite bonus' to 50% and 25% respectively for Golds/Silvers and they still win?? I'm a PLAT...I didn't take bad of a hit..but geesh!
Another thing...award redemption is a joke as far as I'm concerned. Maybe your experiences are different (and I hope they are) but STANDARD awards are almost never available for me...traveling from SAN-PHX-XXX (usually GDL).
This is ridiculous.

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Great job HP.
Old Apr 29, 05, 11:53 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Talking

Originally Posted by IMStill4Travel
You've got to be kidding me!!! Their program has gone to sh**. These boneheads reduce the elite bonus' to 50% and 25% respectively for Golds/Silvers and they still win?? I'm a PLAT...I didn't take bad of a hit..but geesh!
Another thing...award redemption is a joke as far as I'm concerned. Maybe your experiences are different (and I hope they are) but STANDARD awards are almost never available for me...traveling from SAN-PHX-XXX (usually GDL).
This is ridiculous.

As everyone is entitled to their opinions, I would not argue that you are wrong. But many people feel differently. I have been pretty impressed/happy with how America West treats me as a Gold... (previously with UA as a PremExec, 1K for years).... I now travel locally in the southwest and have had very good service (especially nice out of Ontario).
Old Apr 29, 05, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Congratulations to HP for the win.

I note that they won the "earn" portion, but not the "burn" portion. I agree that earning is easy, and burning less so on certain routes.

Still the auto-ups are nice, and the airline is running on time and makign a profit, so well done.
Old Apr 29, 05, 1:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
America West Airlines has a terrible Elite program-- they certainly do not deserve this award.
Old Apr 29, 05, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Red face HP through different eyes.

While I agree that the earning ability of FlightFund has been crippled, I disagree when it comes to burning. I usually never have a problem getting standard awards on HP or VS.

I'd still rather see HP win it over WN, CO, DL, or AS.
Old Apr 29, 05, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
This is ridiculous.
Sorry to say but I couldn't agree more with IMStill4Travel. I think it pales in comparison to other airline's programs. I consistenly hear that NW's elite program is tops, and US's as well.

What especially irks me are the mileage bonus reductions, and the 3 day upgrade window for Plats.

Just who votes on these Freddie awards anyhow?
Old Apr 30, 05, 6:37 am

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
"I have been pretty impressed/happy with how America West treats me as a Gold... (previously with UA as a PremExec, 1K for years)"

Oh really?? Do you enjoy getting only a 50% bonus on your flights as opposed to 100% on MOST other airlines?

"I note that they won the "earn" portion, but not the "burn" portion. I agree that earning is easy, and burning less so on certain routes."

Earning is easy,huh? You should ask some of the Golds/Silvers. It's even easier on MOST other airlines.

"While I agree that the earning ability of FlightFund has been crippled, I disagree when it comes to burning. I usually never have a problem getting standard awards on HP or VS.

I'd still rather see HP win it over WN, CO, DL, or AS"

CO is the only other airline that I've had MORE trouble with as far as redeeming STANDARD awards...I've been Top-Tier elite with 5 different airlines throughout my career.
I've been doing some side trips to see my fiance (who lives in Tlaquepaque..just outside of GDL) every 6 weeks for the past 3 years now and NEVER have I once gotten a STANDARD award via HP. Sometimes I'll check for 6 months in advance and no luck. This is terrible....not even one seat! Always 50,000 miles. I've redeemed STANDARD awards to the same destination with both AA and CO with no problem. I'm glad some of your experiences are better than mine...but they've lost me...I've moved all of my business over to AA this year and couldn't be happier. Qualified PLAT via challenge and will be EXP by July for the same free upgrades that I was getting/not getting on HP.(that's a whole other story)
Reward destinations and selections are vastly superior to HP as well, and at STANDARD levels with multiple quality partners to choose from.
Now,I can actually fly to the East Coast and have a choice of return flights that are amenable to my time schedule...not just one or two per day.

I've had it with them. The service itself is not bad, please don't get me wrong. It's winning the BEST ELITE PROGRAM that really miffs me..that's ludicrous!

Last edited by IMStill4Travel; Apr 30, 05 at 6:22 pm
Old May 1, 05, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
This is ridiculous.

I'm going to have to agree, although in fewer words

Consider US's program, which still offers the mileage bonuses that HP used to offer. US's upgrade window for Chairman's Preferred is 7 days (compare to HP's 3 days for Plat) and 3 days for Gold (compare to 2 days for HP gold). Also, flyers at every Preferred level on US are allowed to upgrade a companion with them, and the companion will clear at the same window as the preferred member himself. Plus US participation in *A gives preferreds even more recognition.

I'm just using US as an example. NW has an excellent elite program, too, and is more deserving of this award than HP.

So does anyone have any ideas as to why HP received this award again? Is it just because HP advertises their elite program more or what? Or are people just blindly voting based on who has won in the past?!
Old May 2, 05, 12:58 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
I'm going to have to agree, although in fewer words

Consider US's program, which still offers the mileage bonuses that HP used to offer. US's upgrade window for Chairman's Preferred is 7 days (compare to HP's 3 days for Plat) and 3 days for Gold (compare to 2 days for HP gold). Also, flyers at every Preferred level on US are allowed to upgrade a companion with them, and the companion will clear at the same window as the preferred member himself. Plus US participation in *A gives preferreds even more recognition.

I'm just using US as an example. NW has an excellent elite program, too, and is more deserving of this award than HP.

So does anyone have any ideas as to why HP received this award again? Is it just because HP advertises their elite program more or what? Or are people just blindly voting based on who has won in the past?!

Well here is my reasoning on why they won... there are more people traveling them than before.. and people are seeing a good delta on recognition. I personally find it an easy airline to fly. I fly them as a low-cost.. and I enjoy the perks of easy check-in, avoding the regular security lines, pre-boarding, and upgrades.... I do not mind missing some upgrades (do not expect all), as long as it is sometimes available... Over all, an easy airline with on-time flights. So I have had much less aggreviation than with UA or US.. (and many more delays and cancellations,etc).
Old May 2, 05, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Also, flyers at every Preferred level on US are allowed to upgrade a companion with them, and the companion will clear at the same window as the preferred member himself.
Personally, I look at this as not necessarily a good thing. I rarely travel with someone and if I do I use miles to upgrade. But every "companion" that flies and gets an upgrade that is one fewer elites that get an upgrade. I'm sure with most Preferred's that they usually travel alone as well but I'm sure if they did this where Plats could upgrade a companion at their window, more gold's and silver's and some lower plats would be mighty upset because they didn't get bumped when companions helped take away the seats that were available. Alot of the time there are only about 4 seats left on the flights I take anyway...that would be 2 plats and their companion and everyone else is in the back of the bus. Yes it would be nice in those few instances where I have a companion on my itinerary but I really hope HP doesn't adopt this as part of FF.

Lance
Old May 2, 05, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Robertsonland
Personally, I look at this as not necessarily a good thing. I rarely travel with someone and if I do I use miles to upgrade. But every "companion" that flies and gets an upgrade that is one fewer elites that get an upgrade. I'm sure with most Preferred's that they usually travel alone as well but I'm sure if they did this where Plats could upgrade a companion at their window, more gold's and silver's and some lower plats would be mighty upset because they didn't get bumped when companions helped take away the seats that were available. Alot of the time there are only about 4 seats left on the flights I take anyway...that would be 2 plats and their companion and everyone else is in the back of the bus. Yes it would be nice in those few instances where I have a companion on my itinerary but I really hope HP doesn't adopt this as part of FF.

Lance

I'm going to have to agree with Lance. I think the 4-6 hour same day standby for companion upgrades for Plat & Gold w/ HP is sufficient. I've never used it, but if I didn't get an upgrade on a flight due to folks bringing non-elite comps when they probably have the miles to 'pay' for the upgrade I'd be a bit put out.
Old May 3, 05, 10:45 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
I travel AWA for FC Upgrades

Unlike others here touting ability to book on AA, as a Platinum with that god awful excuse for an airline, I cannot find a single seat available at standard or premium FF.

I've just had a comment from a coworker in Dallas who is Plat Exec there and he confirms my experience. AAdvantage program appears to be dead and AA doesn't want to announce it.

More power to AWA! I just hope that the FF herd doesn't move faster than capacity is added. I LOVE FC at AWA!!!!

Search this Thread