FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger-444/)
-   -   If US & HP Merge, Possibly PHX-Europe Service? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/america-west-flightfund-pre-2005-us-airways-merger/424856-if-us-hp-merge-possibly-phx-europe-service.html)

GSP flyer Apr 22, 2005 9:37 pm

If US & HP Merge, Possibly PHX-Europe Service?

Assuming the HP/US deal were to go through, anyone think we might see some new European services ex-PHX?

My guess would be a 1X daily Airbus 330-300 to LGW. This service would utilize the dormant route authority from the PIT-LGW flight or AA's old STL-LGW route authority. In addition, if the combined entity were to remain in the Star Alliance, a daily A333 service to FRA on US/HP metal or a return of LH to PHX with an Airbus A340-300 would seem like a distinct possibility.

As a real long shot, anyone know if an A330-300 can jump the ditch to NRT ex-PHX?

alanh Apr 22, 2005 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by GSP flyer
As a real long shot, anyone know if an A330-300 can jump the ditch to NRT ex-PHX?

Nope, and there might be ETOPS issues. More likely an A340 or 777 for a non-stop.

ByrdluvsAWACO Apr 22, 2005 11:10 pm

I like to dream, but....

Assuming the HP/US deal were to go through, anyone think we might see some new European services ex-PHX?
Dude, you're really jumping the gun here. US only has 9 A330's. How are they going to start PHX-Europe service.

Personally, I'd rather not see PHX-Europe if that means the end of the BA partnership. I'll take BA J over US's Envoy class.

My guess would be a 1X daily Airbus 330-300 to LGW.
Which is really useless as all the good connections are going to be from LHR on BA, VS, or even UA.

In addition, if the combined entity were to remain in the Star Alliance...
I'm hoping the new airline leaves Star. I'd rather see HP move closer to OW and partner with CX, LA, QF, and BA similiar to AS. This would leave HP free to keep the NW, and RJ partnerships and add others.

Outside of SQ, I see nothing exciting about *A.

Motion122 Apr 25, 2005 8:33 pm

If US and HP do merge, will it be part of the *Alliance network or something else?

ByrdluvsAWACO Apr 25, 2005 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Motion122
If US and HP do merge, will it be part of the *Alliance network or something else?

I think that really depends on UA and how they feel about the new airline. If they're not part of *A, then they'll just develop partnerships as I don't see them joining OW or Skyteam.

GotCalcio4 Apr 27, 2005 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by GSP flyer

The A330-300 has a range of 5,650 nautical miles, holding 295 passengers in US's 2-class (formerly 3-class) layout. You can do the math using this information about potential routes, etc.

JayBrian Apr 28, 2005 7:00 am

USAirways currently has a standing order with airbus for about 10 A330-200 aircraft for delivery starting in 2007. The aircraft have a smaller capacity but a longer range than the -300 models. The question is if these orders will remain in place if and when USAirways emerges from bankruptcy.

Jay

ByrdluvsAWACO Apr 28, 2005 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by JayBrian
USAirways currently has a standing order with airbus for about 10 A330-200 aircraft for delivery starting in 2007.
Jay

Yes, but I have serious doubts on whether those planes will ever see US paint. There is no way they have the cash to buy one A330 let alone 10. They may be able to lease one or two, but not 10.

flyingcat Apr 28, 2005 6:52 pm

Whether or not the planes are delivered depends on how much money airbus has already received from US. It may be chearper to take delivery than cancel.

WebTraveler Apr 29, 2005 6:51 pm

This is all so speculative. If, and when this happens, it would take quite some time to optimize the schedules, etc. In the long term it would be possible, but probably not #1 on the list.

AZ Travels the World Apr 29, 2005 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
This is all so speculative. If, and when . . .

Indeed. The essense of FlyerTalk, huh?