UA consistantly underprices HP on PHX-SFO

Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
With a successful exit from Ch.11 and their significant ops in LAX and SFO, I can see UA becoming a significant player in the southwest.
Huh? I think UA would rather be a significant player on a more global scale rather than on a regional basis.

OTOH, my situation is your exact opposite. I would prefer to fly LAX-PHX-LAX on UA, however for the past 8 months I've had to fly HP because the R/T fare was about US$80.00 lower.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold

If HP's current over-pricing scheme continues, I may just find myself becoming Premier/Prem Exec on UA, and just silver on HP.
Its really United that is underpricing the market. Is something going on that United is trying to punish America West for something else?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool

Originally Posted by Mr. Roboto
Huh? I think UA would rather be a significant player on a more global scale rather than on a regional basis.
How do you think they'll feed that growing global network? They're not going to just give up their domestic feed.

Don't think for one minite that UA wouldn't use their new found reduced cost structure to compete with HP/WN.
Old May 6, 2005, 4:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Bump. I feel Byrd's pain as I wanted a one way from SFO-PHX on July 4th. HP priced out at as $106 without tax while UA was $69.20 all in. The choice was obvious, I can't justify $50 or so extra dollars for a shot at a First Class seat.
Old May 6, 2005, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
Bump. I feel Byrd's pain as I wanted a one way from SFO-PHX on July 4th. HP priced out at as $106 without tax while UA was $69.20 all in. The choice was obvious, I can't justify $50 or so extra dollars for a shot at a First Class seat.
Hey, if UA is going to sell you a $69 seat from SFO to PHX, you should buy it. Obviously, that's not likely to be a sustainable fare. AWA's fare seems, well, fair.
Old May 6, 2005, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Angry The extortion game goes on....

Originally Posted by CMK10
I know how you feel.

Strange that we're looking on the same route. I'm looking for a PHX-Bay Area ticket for the memorial day weekend. HP is pricing at $218 RT before taxes. UA is pricing at about $50 less.

However, upon further investigation, I can pick up an extra segment through LAS for the same price.
Old May 6, 2005, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
A couple of weeks ago my wife and I decided to take her cousin to San Francisco for a Memorial Day weekend as a graduation gift. IIRC HP wanted something like $250pp, UA wanted about $120. The choice was obvious as the savings would cover the hotel suite for an additional night.

Since we are a party of 3 I knew that sitting up front wasn't in the cards on HP. Given that, I would much rather occupy the exit row on a nice clean A320 than deal with the 737 that HP would have had on the route. HP's fares are crazy on this route and, frankly, for an inferior product.... and we're comparing to Ted on this one.
Old May 6, 2005, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Red face Thanks TED.

Originally Posted by andrewp
...than deal with the 737 that HP would have had on the route.
Wow! I didn't know that HP used the crappy 737's to SFO. That's embarassing. Hmmm let's see, an A320 over a 737, E+ seating, and a savings of $130. Not even the most rabid HP fan(would that be me? ) could blame you for taking TED.

HP's fares are crazy on this route and, frankly, for an inferior product.... and we're comparing to Ted on this one.
Yeah, I thought I would hate TED, but it's been a lifesaver for my flights to the Bay area. Now if only TED served PHX-LAX.
Old May 6, 2005, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I just booked two flights, and am on UA because of the better fare they offered. This was true PHX-DEN-PHX and PHX-YYZ-PHX. According to our corporate travel service, AMEX, HP is no longer the lowest fare carrier into and out of PHX and as such, loosing a lot my business from my company, one of the largest in the PHX area.

One other note.....be careful about matched elite status on UA. They keep records and will only do it one time. I just encountered this first hand, so plan according!
Old May 6, 2005, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Question

Originally Posted by transporter99
According to our corporate travel service, AMEX, HP is no longer the lowest fare carrier into and out of PHX...
Wow, so AMEX is moving business away from HP?

...and as such, loosing a lot my business from my company, one of the largest in the PHX area.
Care to elaborate?
Old May 7, 2005, 12:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Wow, so AMEX is moving business away from HP?

Care to elaborate?
Coporate policy dictates taking the lowest fare carrier.....this used to always be HP from PHX, but is no longer the case. I doubt I'll requalify for elite status next year given this!
Old May 7, 2005, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Question

...my company, one of the largest in the PHX area.
Actually, I was wondering what company you work for, if you're at liberty to say.
Old May 7, 2005, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I know how you feel.

Strange that we're looking on the same route. I'm looking for a PHX-Bay Area ticket for the memorial day weekend. HP is pricing at $218 RT before taxes. UA is pricing at about $50 less.

However, upon further investigation, I can pick up an extra segment through LAS for the same price.
If UA lowered all fares out of PHX to $39 roundtrip, would HP's pricing be automatically "extortion"-leve fares?

I believe that HP is doing the right thing. They are being much more disciplined in a crazy pricing environment. HP is trying to survive the mayhem called the airline industry. If that means that a $218 fare is extortion, so be it.

BTW, I only paid $198 for Memorial Day to go from PHX-SEA and $189 for the 4th of July on AS. I refused to pay HP's higher fares. That's what you must do as a consumer. I'm not mad about it!
Old May 7, 2005, 1:26 pm

Programs: Ex-Professional Jumpseat Rider
Actually, United received some very bad news yesterday from a federal appeals court. Basically, the appeals court overturned a stay from the bankruptcy judge regarding repossession of aircraft. Lenders will be allowed to repossess aircraft for which United has not been paying it's agreed upon rate and that United cannot continue to hide in bankruptcy to get reduced rates on it's aircraft from leasing companies with the leasing companies powerless to do anything about it.
Old May 7, 2005, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Unhappy AS is never an option to the Bay area.

Originally Posted by formeraa
BTW, I only paid $198 for Memorial Day to go from PHX-SEA and $189 for the 4th of July on AS.
Unfortunately, AS is not and option. They don't serve the Bay area from PHX without a stop in PDX. That fare always seems to be in the $400+ range

Besides, AS is having some terrible on-time performance problems, and a potential strike/Chaos is looming.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.