AmericaWest Platinum Visa $50 Companion Certificate

Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG-PLT, DL-PLT, AA-GLD (1 MM)
AmericaWest Platinum Visa $50 Companion Certificate

Are these things worthless or what? You have to actually use them at an airport...so if I book over the phone today I have 24 hours to bring the actual certificate to the airport. (can't mail it in) I live over an hour from the nearest airport so this is a real drag. Also, America West doesn't honor online rates. We found a $350 rate from PHX - Cabo San Lucas and wanted to use the $50 companion certificate...called them up and the best rate we could get with the certificate was over $600 for 1 person. Seems like a bait and switch. For that price I could just book the deal online for the two of us.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Orange44
Are these things worthless or what? You have to actually use them at an airport...so if I book over the phone today I have 24 hours to bring the actual certificate to the airport. (can't mail it in) I live over an hour from the nearest airport so this is a real drag. Also, America West doesn't honor online rates. We found a $350 rate from PHX - Cabo San Lucas and wanted to use the $50 companion certificate...called them up and the best rate we could get with the certificate was over $600 for 1 person. Seems like a bait and switch. For that price I could just book the deal online for the two of us.
Well, I haven't hit my 1 year mark yet, so I don't have any of these, but...

HP is very ticket counter oriented when it comes to redeeming paper coupons. No matter what your voucher (Unless a Future Travel Award or a Transportation Voucher, which I believe you can redeem via mail as long as >14 days from the flight) is you must get the 2 day courtesy hold and bring it into the airport.

Now, I live 175+ miles from the nearest HP airport (or any real airport), but I fly them at least twice a month so it is never a real problem. I just call up the day before I fly and get the hold placed and redeem in person at the ticket counter. However, if this is your first or you fly few HP flights, then I can imagine this will be a problem.

In regards to your online vs. phone quote for seat prices, I don't know about international flights, but I know when I call their FF service center I have been sucesseful in getting "Online Special" prices quoted to me over the phone without asking. Once or twice I've explained my situation to them and they've happily found me that fare price. Of course, it may not be the same in all cases, and I'm sure this may be a technical violation of the voucher, I'm not sure.

I hope this helps, and I hope the voucher is of some use to you.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 3:28 pm

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by Orange44
Actually, they can be mailed in and processed. As far as the online fares, sometimes a "special" is offered online and it very clearly states that when the fare comes up online. Also, keep in mind that online fares do not include all taxes until you get to the purchase page. When you are quoted a fare by a reservations agent, all taxes are included. On travel to Mexico, your taxes could be around $80.00pprt. The passenger is also responsible for the international taxes when using the companion certificate plus the $50.00.
Your price difference sounds a little off as there is usually not that big of a difference in an online fare and a reservations fare. I would be interested to know the dates you chose!
Old Apr 3, 2005, 6:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
Can these certificates be processed by travel agencies? If so, that may be your best route.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

We have been explictly told on multiple occasions that we have to use this certificate in person - it can't be mailed in (we have asked numerous times and have been incredulous that you have to do it face-to-face). As for the rate difference, I understand all the tax stuff, that wasn't it. The rate was over $250 more over the phonbe than what was online - per person! Just a little frustrated...
Old Apr 4, 2005, 6:11 pm

Programs: HP/US
Again, what dates are you planning?
Old Apr 4, 2005, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

10/17 - 10/22
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:26 pm

Programs: HP Silver Elite, HHonors
We just completed a companion travel. At first we were stressed about having to get to the airport to redeem, but the reservation agent told us as long as it was mailed within 24 hours we were ok. Everything went fine.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:26 pm

Programs: HP Silver Elite, HHonors
Originally Posted by TransWorldOne
Can these certificates be processed by travel agencies? If so, that may be your best route.

Yes, they also mentioned that we could go to a Travel Agency to process the cert.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 8:33 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
At least you got yours. I just changed to the Flightfund card from another B of A card. Although it did have a higher interest rate, they told me that I was getting a $50 companion certificate on my anniversary date.

Well, it seems that they are going to discontinue the card just before that date!

HP's FF desk said to call B of A.

B of A said it was all up to HP.

I argued with B of A that they are not giving what they promised when I got the card. They said that they did not anticipate the card being discontinued 12/05. I told them that it was still their responsibility and that they never put that disclaimer in their terms that they supplied.

Needless to say, looks like Im getting screwed out of it............

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.