How Scared Should I Be?

Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
How Scared Should I Be?

I last flew America West in 1999, and it was a dreadful experience. I have two flights coming up that I have received as gifts, both booked on America West through Phoenix to Nevada. Please reassure me. Any tips such as should I bring my own meals, pillow, tranquilizer, or ear phones would probably be helpful too. I am Silver Elite on Northwest but haven't figured out any way this would help me on America West. If I'm wrong about that, let me know.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
The late 90's were a bad time for HP, so it's not surprising you might have had a bad experience. IMHO things are better now. Where are you coming from because on some flights they offer buy on board. Just steer clear of the burger, I hear it's not any better than those old Micro Magic burgers from the late 80's - lol.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

I'm coming from New Orleans (MSY)

They had a gate agent in Phoenix so mean that she made me cry. :-) It almost has to be better. I'll watch out for the burger.

Originally Posted by olympicnut
The late 90's were a bad time for HP, so it's not surprising you might have had a bad experience. IMHO things are better now. Where are you coming from because on some flights they offer buy on board. Just steer clear of the burger, I hear it's not any better than those old Micro Magic burgers from the late 80's - lol.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
If you fly a lot of coach segments on NW, America West won't scare you at all. A lot of newer Airbus aircraft flying the line, hard-working staff on the ground and in the air, and transferring at PHX is easy if sometimes a bit of a hike. I flew 30+ segments with HP in the 2003-04 period and never had a cancelled flight or missed connection. I think they have some extraordinary employees.

Being NW Silver Elite gets you nothing on HP, though, and you don't earn NW miles unless the flights are official NW/HP codeshares.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
No food service for you, so bring a snack if you think you'll get hungry.

http://www.americawest.com/services/...b_schedule.htm
Old Mar 30, 2005, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

thanks, ya'll are great

You guys are super helpful. I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by olympicnut
No food service for you, so bring a snack if you think you'll get hungry.

http://www.americawest.com/services/...b_schedule.htm
Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:34 pm

Elite Match

It's probably too late, but you can always photocopy your NW Elite credentials, compose a cover letter, and FAX/mail it off to some random person in the corporate office (dig into the website for a corporate contact name) or Flightfund. I have leveraged elite status for years by doing this with a variety of elite combos.

Yes, it's most likely that nothing will happen, but you could end up being comped Silver Elite on HP. Planes are so full these days that upgrades may not be in the cards, but then again, you never know.

Also, as long as you aren't flying on the ancient 737s and 757s, the flights are generally comfortable.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 7:22 pm

Programs: Empty Seat Program
Out of MSY, they go back and forth between Airbus and 737. 737 get 8 pillows and blankets for coach. Airbus get more, but not enuf for one per pax.
So if thats important to you, you shold definitely BYO.
Continental handles HP in MSY.

*no entertainment on the 737 (except a live demo )
Old Apr 30, 2005, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

thanks again everybody

I'm just back from the first round-trip to LAS and there were no tears at all, although I did notice the rarity of pillows and made sure to grab one before the other pax had their shot, heh heh. I also brought my own food. America West seemed much improved since my trip from hell back in the day -- my flight back home actually arrived early. Thanks, all.

Originally Posted by Lifer
Out of MSY, they go back and forth between Airbus and 737. 737 get 8 pillows and blankets for coach. Airbus get more, but not enuf for one per pax.
So if thats important to you, you shold definitely BYO.
Continental handles HP in MSY.

*no entertainment on the 737 (except a live demo )
Old May 1, 2005, 2:15 pm

Hi Peachfront!

Glad it went OK for you!
Old May 3, 2005, 3:48 am

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
Originally Posted by peachfront
my flight back home actually arrived early
Get used to it, it's pretty common now on HP.
Frequently, you end up waiting on the tarmac for a gate slot.
Old May 3, 2005, 8:37 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Bidkat
Get used to it, it's pretty common now on HP.
Frequently, you end up waiting on the tarmac for a gate slot.
My flights rarely arrive early but are usually close to on time. We usually sit on the tarmac waiting to take off for 30-40 minutes in MSP and about 20-30 sometimes in Phoenix. In MSP one day we were 23rd in line to take off. And this was after the 15 minute taxi to get in line. We backed away from the gate early and when we took off it was 45 minutes later. Not HPs fault, mind you but ate away at our early arrival.

Lance
Old May 6, 2005, 2:01 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines PPS Club, Hilton HHonors
I'll be taking America West for the first time -- in fact, this is my first US domestic flight -- on May 15. I'm scheduled to arrive at LAX at 5:30pm on SQ20, and leave for LAS at 8:45pm on HP852. I suppose my corporate travel agent booked me on that flight to allow for a 3-hour transfer time (in case my international flight gets delayed).

My question is: How possible is it to hop onto the first available connecting flight (say, HP164, 6:40pm) if I do arrive in LAX early?

Loony
Old May 6, 2005, 6:39 am

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by Loony
I'll be taking America West for the first time -- in fact, this is my first US domestic flight -- on May 15. I'm scheduled to arrive at LAX at 5:30pm on SQ20, and leave for LAS at 8:45pm on HP852. I suppose my corporate travel agent booked me on that flight to allow for a 3-hour transfer time (in case my international flight gets delayed).

My question is: How possible is it to hop onto the first available connecting flight (say, HP164, 6:40pm) if I do arrive in LAX early?
You can travel standby on the same day as ticketed with HP for no charge, The only issue would be loads on a Sunday to LAS. In fact, the earlier flts are as follows:
HPX 6596 at 1730 LAX-LAS 70% full
HP 164 at 1840 LAX-LAS 120% full

You can always try to standby on HP 164 if you get in early from your SQ flight but I really woundn't hold your breath! (One hour to get thru Customs/Immigration, change terminals, get thru security and get to the gate? Highly unlikely on a Sunday at LAX!)
Good Luck!
Old May 6, 2005, 9:12 am

Hi Loony!

Like Snokums said , standby is allowed for easrlier flights. But if you have checked baggage, they probably won't allow it.
LA flights have a high no-show factor, so even if a flight is booked full, you may still make it on.
Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.