2 HP flights, same time, different a/c

Old Mar 7, 2005, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, LY Silver, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
2 HP flights, same time, different a/c

Apologies in advance, but I couldn't find a thread on this using Google.

I'm booking a (very rare) trip on HP, and noticed that they seem to have 2 flights on the same route, at the same time, but on different aircraft.

LAX-PHX HP 272 (A320) dep 1242 arr 1502
LAX-PHX HP 85 (B757) dep 1242 arr 1502

Do they really have 2 flights? Is it a race? (that would be neat...)

I'm sure there's a simple explanation, well known to the HP regulars. Please share it!

thx.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CO FF

I'm booking a (very rare) trip on HP, and noticed that they seem to have 2 flights on the same route, at the same time, but on different aircraft.

I'm sure there's a simple explanation, well known to the HP regulars. Please share it!

thx.
There are two flights and they often leave from adjacent gates (which causes great confusion for passengers). This is common on the LAX and SAN routes as they typically have more passengers than can be accomodated on one plane. I've noticed that the website usually rotates the order in which they are listed with the assumption that most people will pick the first one in the list. I'm not sure if they perform that rotation based on load or not.

I typically prefer the A320 to the 757 if I know that I'm in Y. With the Gold upgrades I usually opt for the 757 as there are 2 more F seats available.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have also seen the two flights with different numbers ( different aircraft) on the LAS-PHX run ( ususally about 1230-1300 in June/Sept last year)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
It is a race that the 757 Slaveship usually loses because of the extra time required to load the PAX. If you are trying to hit a connecting flight to Asia, the best bet are the Airbi in my non-random sample of flight experience.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
Yea, they've been doing this for years. Kinda wacky but also fun in that you get to choose what a/c type ya wanna fly I know, it's the little things
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, LY Silver, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Thanks, all.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CO FF

thx.
In airline speak, it's called wingtip service. Since HP operates a hub & spoke network in Phoenix and LAX is a big airport, they can fill up more than a 757 worth of passengers at 1242. Therefore, they schedule an additional flight on an Airbus at the same time to accommodate the additional passengers desiring to travel.
Old Mar 7, 2005, 8:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
Actually, there are many "duel-ops" (for duel operations) in both directions between PHX and LAS as well as other cities. At LAS anyway, it is sort of a race to see which one gets out first. Often, the second flight ends up holding for "flow control".
Old Mar 8, 2005, 5:08 am

Programs: HP/US
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
Actually, there are many "duel-ops" (for duel operations) in both directions between PHX and LAS as well as other cities. At LAS anyway, it is sort of a race to see which one gets out first. Often, the second flight ends up holding for "flow control".
Actually it's DUAL ops, not duel. The two aircraft don't get into a sword fight on the tarmac!
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:27 am

They do that a couple of times a day for SAN-PHX. Sometimes scheduled to leave at the same time, sometimes scheduled with 5 or 10 minutes difference. The interesting thing is, in every case, the Airbus gets out before the 737 or 757... so I always book the bus...
Old Mar 8, 2005, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by andrewp
There are two flights and they often leave from adjacent gates (which causes great confusion for passengers). This is common on the LAX and SAN routes as they typically have more passengers than can be accomodated on one plane. I've noticed that the website usually rotates the order in which they are listed with the assumption that most people will pick the first one in the list. I'm not sure if they perform that rotation based on load or not.
It's hilarious because they're often (IIRC) in A23 & A24 or somesuch, and right next to each other at the end of the concourse, so limited seating, screaming, yelling, etc. Dueling gate announcements going to the same place, folks trying to get on the wrong flight, etc etc etc.

There is almost always some family that comes running up in a huff only to find their plane already closed and pushed, then told to rebook "next door."

It's great. Bring popcorn next time
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AgtMulder
It's hilarious because they're often (IIRC) in A23 & A24 or somesuch, and right next to each other at the end of the concourse, so limited seating, screaming, yelling, etc. Dueling gate announcements going to the same place, folks trying to get on the wrong flight, etc etc etc.

There is almost always some family that comes running up in a huff only to find their plane already closed and pushed, then told to rebook "next door."

It's great. Bring popcorn next time
I was on one where there was a large family together that had obviously made different reservations. Apparently the person in charge of coordinating the trip just told the other members to "get on the 12:42 flight to Los Angeles." None of them realized that there were two flights so they were split up and didn't know it. One flight departed well before the other and they all attempted to board the latter flight. The GA explained the situation and that this flight was full. The leader got really upset until the GA from the other flight came over and said, "I'm very sorry for your confusion, but didn't you hear me paging you? I must have announced your names 4 or 5 times."

There are also the people who look at the monitors in the terminal and just find the city and time and don't bother to check the flight number. Often these flights depart from different concourses and there's always an entertaining moment of realization where the passenger needs to run (ala OJ in the Avis commercial) in order to make it from A23 to B4.

It's the little things that make flying out of PHX bearable....
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:03 pm

I took this flight out of LAX one time, and decided on the 757, since I just preferred the plane type. (It ended up being the same 757 we took for our honeymoon, but that's neither here nor there.)

Sitting up in first, though, I noticed that the 320 got out first. As it was turning that corner from the taxiway to the runway, I saw the copilot wave goodbye to the pilot of our 757.

He was happy.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EP, OZ Diamond, WS Plat, Avis CHM, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Yes I always choose the airbus when I have a choice and yes, it's usually the SAN-PHX route. I'm not a big fan of the 757s either way and try to avoid them like the plague.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Platinum, AA, AS, DL, NH, QF, QR, UA, USAF
How about the choice between 733 vs. 752?

Noticed in the Dual Ops that there are two flights PHX to LAX leaving at 4:19.
HP32 is a 733, HP708 is a 752. Other posters agree that an A320 usually wins the race out of the gate. What about the race between the 733 and 752? Would it be the 733 because of fewer pax boarding? Is there a preference between the two in cabin comfort?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.