2 HP flights, same time, different a/c

Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually have a problem with how they schedule these flights. For example, I think the LAX-PHX departures - you either get the dual flights at 3:30ish or you have to wait until 6:30ish. To me, it would have been better to have a 3:30 then a 4:30.

Of course, the other things to consider are the connecting banks at PHX so I know it is not as easy.

The reason I hate it is that when coming on BR 12 from TPE (arr about 2:00 in the winter), connecting to the 3:30ish flights is not a legal connection. Frequently, you can make it if you rush. It would be much better if they have a flight just outside the minimum connecting window. They are codeshare partners after all.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL FO...ex-PM, GM...does it really even matter these days? LOL...
This sort of thing can also be a saving grace....

A year or so ago I was on the LAST FLIGHT OF THE DAY from LAX to LAS...two flights...both 855PM departures...both A319s. The flight I was originally on was delayed and the other one wasnt. Since it was a paid F ticket, I went to the counter and switched over to the flight that wasnt delayed. It turned out to be a good idea since I got to LAS on time.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:20 pm

Programs: HP Silver
Originally Posted by username
I actually have a problem with how they schedule these flights. For example, I think the LAX-PHX departures - you either get the dual flights at 3:30ish or you have to wait until 6:30ish. To me, it would have been better to have a 3:30 then a 4:30.
Before the "dual-op" days, the LAX/PHX flights did leave on almost an hourly basis, similar to WNs schedule. I preferred this over the less frequent, dual-op flights.

Are there reasons other than additional capacity that they schedule flights like this?

I've seen situations where dual-op flights were consolidated into one flight due to equipment problems or some such thing but wondered if there might be other operations related reasons they do this.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Tedaz8
Before the "dual-op" days, the LAX/PHX flights did leave on almost an hourly basis, similar to WNs schedule. I preferred this over the less frequent, dual-op flights.

Are there reasons other than additional capacity that they schedule flights like this?

I've seen situations where dual-op flights were consolidated into one flight due to equipment problems or some such thing but wondered if there might be other operations related reasons they do this.
The primary reason is the HUB and SPOKE system. To HP, LAX is a spoke and PHX is a hub. HP flies passengers to PHX primarily when there are connecting possibilities. Apparently, there is not enough high paying local traffic between LAX and PHX. Therefore, they fly at times when passengers are able to connect to Eastbound HP flights.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
The primary reason is the HUB and SPOKE system. To HP, LAX is a spoke and PHX is a hub. HP flies passengers to PHX primarily when there are connecting possibilities. Apparently, there is not enough high paying local traffic between LAX and PHX. Therefore, they fly at times when passengers are able to connect to Eastbound HP flights.
that makes plenty of sense, but then why not space the pair out by a minute or two? the exact twinned departures seem to just invite unnecessary passenger confusion.
Old Jul 26, 2005, 10:48 am

Programs: united airlines
As an America West employee, stationed in Las Vegas, I like to add a comment or two:

There are actually 3 flights within a span of 10 minutes from Las Vegas to Phoenix. HP-85 departs at 12:45, HP-418 departs at 12:50, and HP-59 departs at 12:55.

Phoenix and Las Vegas are our major hubs and HP flights have to be "repositioned" a lot, and also handle large passenger loads.

You will see additional increase in Flights between Las Vegas and Phoenix later this year when the Hawaii flights are launched.

Thanks for flying America West.

DGC
Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by martin33
that makes plenty of sense, but then why not space the pair out by a minute or two? the exact twinned departures seem to just invite unnecessary passenger confusion.
Agreed! The agents should also make some pre-emptive announcements for passengers unfamiliar with these types of operations. For example, "Passengers, before we start boarding flight xxx to PHX, please take a moment to look at your boarding passes. Please make sure that your boarding pass says flight xxx. We do have two flights to Phoenix at the same time. Flight xxx leaves from this gate, B-14. Flight yyy leaves from gate B-15. Please make sure that you are at the correct gate. Thank you."
Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
Agreed! The agents should also make some pre-emptive announcements for passengers unfamiliar with these types of operations. For example, "Passengers, before we start boarding flight xxx to PHX, please take a moment to look at your boarding passes. Please make sure that your boarding pass says flight xxx. We do have two flights to Phoenix at the same time. Flight xxx leaves from this gate, B-14. Flight yyy leaves from gate B-15. Please make sure that you are at the correct gate. Thank you."
Well, they usually announce something similar to this prior to boarding flights HP30/HP616 LAX-PHX, both departing at 3:50PM. The only thing is that most of the remaining announcements are usually like this:

"PHX passengers in groups 1 & 2 may now board through gate 9"
"Boarding all groups to PHX through gate 11"
"If you're flying to PHX on the 3:50 departure and your boarding pass has group 1 or group 2 printed on it, please board now through gate 9"

Between the 1st announcement and the final boarding announcement you rarely hear the flight number mentioned. Then if someone gets into the wrong line because of this confusion, the HP agent at the jetway door yells at you...."You're in the WRONG line!"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.