HP to offer service to second Montana city

Old Mar 17, 2004, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
HP to offer service to second Montana city

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...5/daily37.html
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:47 pm

Currently HP has Kalispell as a codeshare market via Big Sky airlines from GEG or BIL. HP is smart tapping into underserved markets. In the last few years they added GEG, BOI, BIL, YYC, and recently YEG.

I would really like them to consider Jackson Hole, WY (JAC). It is a very underserved market; only Skywest (which operates as Delta's feeder out of SLC) and United have yearound service. I think NW and AA have seasonal service their hub cities during the summer season. Anyway, I have flown into JAC a few times with Skywest and the flights are always full not to mention high $$ fares. So I know Jackson Hole market would be profitable with high yields. Currently its cheaper to just fly into SLC and rent a car from there, but I hate the extra driving. Jackson Hole is pretty much busy year round with Ski season in the winter and tourist coming during the summer to visit nearby Yellowstone and Teton Parks. I know if HP served JAC it would be a an actual Mesa flight. Since HP serves has 3 or 4 Colorado "Ski" towns operated by Mesa, I would only think JAC would do just as well or better. HP could also sell Jackson Hole as part of their "ski" packages with America West Vacations division.

I am not trying to advocate or be the spokeperson for Jackson Hole. It is one of my favorite vacation geteways. I usually try spending a few vacation days visiting there. If only the airfares to JAC were more affordable I would get up there more often.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jeffeywol:
Currently HP has Kalispell as a codeshare market via Big Sky airlines from GEG or BIL. HP is smart tapping into underserved markets. In the last few years they added GEG, BOI, BIL, YYC, and recently YEG.

I would really like them to consider Jackson Hole, WY (JAC). It is a very underserved market; only Skywest (which operates as Delta's feeder out of SLC) and United have yearound service. I think NW and AA have seasonal service their hub cities during the summer season. Anyway, I have flown into JAC a few times with Skywest and the flights are always full not to mention high $$ fares. So I know Jackson Hole market would be profitable with high yields. Currently its cheaper to just fly into SLC and rent a car from there, but I hate the extra driving. Jackson Hole is pretty much busy year round with Ski season in the winter and tourist coming during the summer to visit nearby Yellowstone and Teton Parks. I know if HP served JAC it would be a an actual Mesa flight. Since HP serves has 3 or 4 Colorado "Ski" towns operated by Mesa, I would only think JAC would do just as well or better. HP could also sell Jackson Hole as part of their "ski" packages with America West Vacations division.

I am not trying to advocate or be the spokeperson for Jackson Hole. It is one of my favorite vacation geteways. I usually try spending a few vacation days visiting there. If only the airfares to JAC were more affordable I would get up there more often.
</font>
It had been considered a few years back, but there are some RJ performance limitations that made it prohibitive. The DH8 could handle it, but that is tooo long a flight on a Dash from PHX.
Old May 3, 2005, 9:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
FCA goes mainline for Summer '05

I just noticed online that FCA (Kalispell, MT) -PHX will more than double capacity during the summer months (June 20 to early Sept) with an A320 replacing the daily RJ flight. Glad to see that the flight must be a good performer. Last August when I flew QX to SEA, the HP RJ was boarding at the same time and it was packed!

It makes me wonder how tourists used to travel to visit Glacier National Park before non-stop airline service to FCA expanded in recent years (BTW, the First Lady flew to Kalispell for a short summer vacation last year as well).
Old May 4, 2005, 10:20 am

Now if they'd only add service in Eastern Idaho, along the lines of PIH or IDA I'd be happy. They are currently only served by Skywest & Delta connection, very few and very expensive.

PIH has 2 massive runways that are usually only used for locals in their private aircraft, in addition to the few SkyWest fights. I heard this used to be a practice base "back in the day" for trainee pilots to practice landings and takeoffs in mainline aircraft.
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:17 am

FCA - no more?

Originally Posted by PointWeasel
I just noticed online that FCA (Kalispell, MT) -PHX will more than double capacity during the summer months (June 20 to early Sept) with an A320 replacing the daily RJ flight. Glad to see that the flight must be a good performer. Last August when I flew QX to SEA, the HP RJ was boarding at the same time and it was packed!

It makes me wonder how tourists used to travel to visit Glacier National Park before non-stop airline service to FCA expanded in recent years (BTW, the First Lady flew to Kalispell for a short summer vacation last year as well).
It was great to see this flight upgraded from a CRJ to an Airbus. With the flight being upgraded fairly quickly after new service began, does anyone know why it is now being discontinued. HP shows this flight being discontinued Sept 30, 2005. Could this now be a seasonal flight? Any ideas?
Old Jul 19, 2005, 9:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by simba_az
It was great to see this flight upgraded from a CRJ to an Airbus. With the flight being upgraded fairly quickly after new service began, does anyone know why it is now being discontinued. HP shows this flight being discontinued Sept 30, 2005. Could this now be a seasonal flight? Any ideas?
It may be seasonal, but I don't see it added back on the schedule.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:30 am

Programs: Empty Seat Program
It's seasonal service.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:16 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
I know Kalispell is the gateway to Glacier Park, but I'm a little surprised they didn't pick Missoula or even Bozeman or Helena (the capital) first. There is a lot more traffic (but I guess more competition) to the other three cities, so maybe that's the reason. But MSO, BZN, and HLN are still definitely underserved.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 7:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JerryFF
I know Kalispell is the gateway to Glacier Park, but I'm a little surprised they didn't pick Missoula or even Bozeman or Helena (the capital) first. There is a lot more traffic (but I guess more competition) to the other three cities, so maybe that's the reason. But MSO, BZN, and HLN are still definitely underserved.
FCA serves a large catchment area and has more tourist traffic than HLN and actually offers has more carriers/flights/seats.

While MSO is underserved, BZN would be a great place for HP to expand.

Last edited by sxf24; Jul 22, 2005 at 6:22 pm
Old Jul 22, 2005, 7:04 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Just curious, but what is a cachement? I checked three online dictionaries, and none of them had the word!
Old Jul 22, 2005, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Just curious, but what is a cachement? I checked three online dictionaries, and none of them had the word!
I kan spell reel gud.

It should be catchment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.