Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel to Cancun, Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2003, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Award travel to Cancun, Mexico

I wish to travel to Cancun, Mexico on a Award ticket. The only problem is that AWA only has flights from Las Vegas and Pheonix which leave in the morning. I live in the East Coast - is there any way I can issue this award? (eg - Satying overnight at LAS on my own expense, etc.)?
Old Jul 8, 2003, 6:21 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
I am pretty sure that they will allow the stopover on an award ticket.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Yes, they do allow a stopover on an award ticket.

I am going to Hawaii in August. I will fly out of Phoenix, stop over for 4 days in Seatlle, then catch my flight to Hawaii. On the way back I will be staying a few extra days also.

I have done this many times, never a problem.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 12, 2003, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Cool - thanks a lot guys!!
Old Aug 3, 2003, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Actually I tried booking a flight from NY - Cancun and apparently it is not allowed. Some rule about back tracking. They say a stopover is only allowed on a regular route served by America West and NY-Cancun is not a regular route. When I asked if I can fly to Pheonix the night before and stay at my own dime there and take the flight the next day - they said no. They say it's not a regular route. If I want to do that, I need to book two award tickets for a total of 45,000 miles. Actually you can't do an award to Cancun from ANY East coast city and most (if not all) mid west cities.

Perhaps they should change the award chart to:

West Coast cities - Cancun : 25,000 miles
All other cities - Cancun : 45,000 miles
Old Aug 3, 2003, 10:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PrivatePilot:
Actually I tried booking a flight from NY - Cancun and apparently it is not allowed. Some rule about back tracking. They say a stopover is only allowed on a regular route served by America West and NY-Cancun is not a regular route. When I asked if I can fly to Pheonix the night before and stay at my own dime there and take the flight the next day - they said no. They say it's not a regular route. If I want to do that, I need to book two award tickets for a total of 45,000 miles. Actually you can't do an award to Cancun from ANY East coast city and most (if not all) mid west cities.

Perhaps they should change the award chart to:

West Coast cities - Cancun : 25,000 miles
All other cities - Cancun : 45,000 miles
</font>

Call a few more times until you get the answer you want. In my experience with HP, if you don't like the answer, just call back. (But do it Monday-Friday during working hours when their "A Team" is working, as that makes all the difference.) What you're saying doesn't make sense given HP's routing; I'm hoping someone else will agree and figure out how to make it work for you. Sounds like you have nothing to lose at this point.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 1:03 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Possibly somewhat related:

I was able to make a case with US Air to use a denied boarding RT to travel PHX--PHL--MSP to Thanksgiving- the rationale being it was the most direct routing between the cities I want to travel between. After about 3 triesn, I did find someone who booked it point-to-point and the reservation stuck. Later I ticketed at a US Air Counter and the agent didn't flinch.

Good luck! It may be tough, but eventually, I think you will be able to book it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.