Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger)
Reload this Page >

What are the rules for using a free companion ticket on HP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2003, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

I just upgraded my Bank of America Visa Classic card to their Platinum card. As such, I will receive 1 free companion ticket on my Visa card anniversary date. I've never seen a companion ticket. What are the restrictions for its use? Can I use it with ANY paid America West ticket or does it have to be a full-fare ticket? Does it expire after one year? Can I use it with an internet-only fare or must I make reservations with HP's 1-800 number?
Old Jul 21, 2003, 2:20 am

Programs: AS MVP, DL Silv
I assume you are referring to "$50 companion certificate.2 You'll receive 1 $50 round-trip companion certificate each year at your anniversary." referenced at http://www.bankofamerica.com/creditc...ericawest_plat ?

Can't find any rules/conditions online. I know the Alaska Airlines Bank of America Card offers a similar deal, and they let you combine the $50 companion deal w/ almost any airfare (except web specials)...and Alaska allows the companion to receive mileage credit for their flights...

Regards,

-Steve
Old Jul 21, 2003, 8:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
If you're talking about the B of A Visa annual renewal $50 companion certificate, Steve is right on all counts. I just used one a few months ago.

You buy one ticket at any price and you get an identical one for $50 plus taxes & fees. You must purchase it at the ticket counter so that you can give them the coupon. I booked via phone the day before a trip and had the ticket issued the next day when I was at the airport anyway.

The $50 ticket earns FF miles and both seats are eligible for elite upgrade, if applicable.

It's one of the best coupons HP has going, in my opinion.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. One more question: Can you use the companion ticket for international flights (Mexico and Canada) or just a domestic flight?
Old Jul 21, 2003, 10:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tomato:
Thanks for the information. One more question: Can you use the companion ticket for international flights (Mexico and Canada) or just a domestic flight?</font>
The one I have is valid system-wide on America West or America West Express -- no codeshare flights.

Some other things now that I look at it:

--Coach travel only. You pay $50 plus taxes, fees, security charges, etc.
--14-day advance purchase;
--blackout dates around the major holidays
--Must be purchased and paid for with the BofA FF Visa.
--Expires one year from date of issue
Old Aug 3, 2003, 3:17 pm

AZ Travels the world
Old Aug 3, 2003, 3:18 pm

AZ Travels the world. Did you see the miles for the person who traveled on the $50 voucher. I would assume that that person could not get miles. If that is the case that is a bonus. Let me know I have a voucher I am using for AZ-Florida in October
Old Aug 3, 2003, 4:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dmanphoenix:
AZ Travels the world. Did you see the miles for the person who traveled on the $50 voucher. I would assume that that person could not get miles. If that is the case that is a bonus. Let me know I have a voucher I am using for AZ-Florida in October</font>
The person does, in fact, get miles for the trip. I've experienced it. That's one of the best parts of this deal.

It surprised me because HP's monetary coupons for getting bumped negate miles for any ticket they're used for. Even if you use a $100 certificate against a $500 fare, the ticket does not qualify for miles or segments, which has always been a gripe of mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.