Does America West Comp Elite Status?

Old Apr 17, 03, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat

My company's travel web page has been pushing America West as the low cost choice lately. In addition, the Airlines I've been using are either Bankrupt or thinking about it, so I have been thinking of giving America West a try.

1) Do they comp elite status? I am PremEx on UA and Platnium on AA.
2) Are they a good choice for travel? I am based out of SJC, and will travel out of SFO when needed. I tend to do 12+ trips to CLE a year. I have also been doing a handful of trips to YYZ and Sydney per year.

------------------
EthernetWeasel
Old Apr 17, 03, 5:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Welcome to FlyerTalk, "EthernetWeasel"

This is a subject that has been discussed on multiple recent occasions. Here is a link to another thread that talks some about it and provides links to several more threads on the same topic.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum12/HTML/000819.html

For your future reference, you can search within any specific area of FT such as the America West page for information about a topic of interest. For example, in this case, you could click on search, then specify the words "comp elite" and many threads will come back with the info you're looking for. It's a great way to see what all has been said about specific topics.

As to your question about HP being a good choice for travel, in my experience they're a very good choice, particularly if you are able to start off Platinum. Coming from SJC and SFO, you'll have lots of options throughout the country, including YYZ. I don't know, though, if they have a partner that will work for you to Sydney. Here again, there's been lots of discussion in recent months about the merits of flying HP, so you should be able to search various key words and find a number of opinions.

I hope you enjoy FlyerTalk!

------------------
Moderator for Starwood and America West
Old Apr 17, 03, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
Thanks,

I'm new to Flyertalk... I'll go change the "show last 5 days" default to more days to give me vision into past threads.

Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 03, 7:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AZ Travels the World:
...I don't know, though, if they have a partner that will work for you to Sydney...</font>
No, America West does not have a workable partner to Sydney.

You can earn FlightFund miles on British Airways, which does have service to Sydney. That would seem an unlikely choice from SFO/SJC (as you'd have to make your way to London/LHR to connect onward). If you did fly BA, make sure you're on a qualifying fare and on a BA-operated flight (rather than one operated by Qantas/QF). Australia is not available by redeeming FlightFund mileage.

[This message has been edited by TransWorldOne (edited 04-17-2003).]
Old Apr 18, 03, 3:15 am

Location: PPSP. Yeah, I'm the bartender at that fancy 5-Star that forgot you said no salt on your freakin' frozen margarita. Listen up people! NO FROZEN DRINKS!
Welcome EhternetWeasel!

This thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum12/HTML/000778.html

turned out to be the definitive one for me looking for a comp to HP. Search that thread for the name "Simone Pickard", and see what excellent service she gave me (and others) and this was just via email, (a communication type that I wouldn't normally trust for expedited service).

The F service doesn't rival any other airlines I fly. It is probably at the bottom. But the friendliness coupled with the VERY inexpensive fares and no-Saturday night requirement make this my new favorite airline.

I work for a non-profit during the school year so I am going to be on HP anyways!

Now, if they would only fly to RIC near mom's farm I would be VERY happy!

------------------
"Oh heck, bring me a quad."
Old Apr 18, 03, 8:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ethernetWeasel:

My company's travel web page has been pushing America West as the low cost choice lately. In addition, the Airlines I've been using are either Bankrupt or thinking about it, so I have been thinking of giving America West a try.

1) Do they comp elite status? I am PremEx on UA and Platnium on AA.
2) Are they a good choice for travel? I am based out of SJC, and will travel out of SFO when needed. I tend to do 12+ trips to CLE a year. I have also been doing a handful of trips to YYZ and Sydney per year.

</font>
They will comp - "Over the Phone"

With the Columbus Hub closing - I doubt that you will be able to handle the routing to CLE from the SFO

With 12 trips to CLE - NW or CO would be the choice which would also give you options to OZ
Old Apr 18, 03, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FC_Dave:
With 12 trips to CLE - NW or CO would be the choice which would also give you options to OZ</font>
And for mileage awards to Oz, CO is a far better option than NW.
Old Apr 18, 03, 7:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FC_Dave:
With the Columbus Hub closing - I doubt that you will be able to handle the routing to CLE from the SFO </font>

How would the closing of the Columbus hub effect flying to CLE from SFO? America West hasn't had served CMH-CLE since it put its code on Continental flights on that route. Also, America West hasn't had SFO-CMH nonstop flights since as long as I can remember.

Old Apr 18, 03, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
And HP now has an AA style challenge - except that they give you silver during the challange- BOUT TIME
Old Apr 19, 03, 9:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TransWorldOne:

How would the closing of the Columbus hub effect flying to CLE from SFO? America West hasn't had served CMH-CLE since it put its code on Continental flights on that route. Also, America West hasn't had SFO-CMH nonstop flights since as long as I can remember.

</font>
I guess that would confirm that HP would be of NO value considering this travel profile ?
Old Apr 19, 03, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I'm confused by this discussion.

Seems the driver to this issue is that the company is pushing HP for economic purposes, so the question is whether HP can be made to work reasonably well given the destinations.

HP has two flights a day from PHX-CLE, both of which will connect from/to flights out of SJC or SFO.

They have one flight a day to YYZ from each PHX and LAS, either of which connects from/to SJC or SFO.

The options aren't huge, but if you've got a little flexibility in your timing you can certainly make them work. I do.

As for Sydney, HP is of almost no help in this area. (Other than the BA, long way around the world option -- and if you're in NCW or F, there's far worse things than that, though I wonder if BA's fare would be competitive.)

I'm not familiar enough with CO or NW programs any more to know if either of them have a partner that can get you to Sydney and give you elite qualifiying points, but regardless, the company is pushing HP in North America, so does it really matter?
Given the company's direction, seems the best option may be to split things up and do HP in NA, which would easily qualify elite based on the level of travel described and use Qantas or Air NZ for the Sydney flights.
Old Apr 19, 03, 12:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AZ Travels the World:
HP has two flights a day from PHX-CLE, both of which will connect from/to flights out of SJC or SFO.</font>
HP is even adding a third flight PHX-CLE May 1.
Old Apr 19, 03, 2:55 pm
Original Member

I guess that would confirm that HP would be of NO value considering this travel profile ?</font>
That is incorrect. Did you know that America West flies frequently from all three bay area airports (plus some flights from Stockton and Sacramento) to Phoenix? From Phoenix, Toronto and Cleveland (as well as a myriad of other destinations) are an easy connection away.

There are also flights between San Jose/San Francisco and Las Vegas. Oakland has a nightly service to/from Las Vegas. Las Vegas offers a redeye to Toronto, as well as connections to many other cities.

From a route and scheduling standpoint, there are certainly better choices. From a fare standpoint, America West is perhaps the best choice.

I do agree with your suggestion of NW/CO. If it were me, I'd probably use Northwest WorldPerks or Continental OnePass as my primary account and carrier. My secondary account would be with Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan. It would be a great place to dump miles on trips to Sydney, as well as on flights up and down the west coast (using both AA & AS).
Old Apr 19, 03, 11:47 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, HH Gold, HY Explorist, Inspirato, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, UA Silver, AA Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jan_az:
And HP now has an AA style challenge - except that they give you silver during the challange- BOUT TIME </font>
What AA-style challenge are they now running?

[This message has been edited by MarshKing (edited 04-19-2003).]
Old Apr 20, 03, 12:04 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
You get 90 days

6 segments or 6K =silver for rest of yr
14 segments or 11.5K= gold for rest of yr
22 segments or 18K= PLT for rest of yr

You are given Silver Status for the 90 days you are on the challenge

[This message has been edited by jan_az (edited 04-19-2003).]

Search this Thread