Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > America West FlightFund (Pre-2005 US Airways merger)
Reload this Page >

Award Travel to Hawaii -- xtra miles require to get to destination?

Old May 14, 03, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite

I have a question that I am hoping some of you can help me with.

I am planning a trip to Hawaii this summer (actually the 3rd annual Hawaii trip!), and will be using an award ticket on America West. I will be traveling from PHX, going through SEA (picking up someone else), and traveling to our final destination of LIH. The past 2 years we have flown on NW (with HP miles), and have had to purchase separate tickets on Aloha for the HNL-LIH-HNL portion of the trip. This made sense, as NW doesn't fly to LIH.

This year, however, we will be flying Hawaiian (once again HP miles). I was told I can only go as far as HNL with my miles, and if I want to get to my final destination of LIH, I will have to use more miles.

My question: Is this common on most airlines?

I can understand having to use extra miles or pay for hops between the islands to visit more islands, etc., but that is not what I am trying to do here. We simply want to fly to LIH. I would love it if I didn't have to go through HNL, but I don't think that is an option.

When I asked the agent booking the travel, she told me I should be happy there are more flights now.

Funny thing, with all those new flights, I had a much more difficult time booking this year than either of the last two years - go figure.

Old May 15, 03, 2:18 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold, America West Silver
Unless their is a direct flight to the island from the mainland I think most airlines do not include interisland airfare on Hawaii award bookings.

The best deal around is to use Northwest or American's 5000 mile RT award for inter-island travel. Most of the other airlines (including America West and it's parnter in Hawaii, Hawaiian) require 10K miles for a RT inter-island. Act fast, though. These award sell out quickly.
Old May 15, 03, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lkuby:
[B]. . .Most of the other airlines (including America West and it's parnter in Hawaii, Hawaiian) require 10K miles for a RT inter-island. . .B]</font>
Actually not. America West also charges 5,000 miles for an inter-island round-trip, though it can only be booked in conjunction with an America West-issued mainland-to-Hawaii award ticket on Hawaiian Airlines. It can't be booked on its own, as is the case with Northwest.

Search this Thread