America West Elite - How Can I Maximize?

Old Jan 23, 03, 10:34 am
Original Poster

America West Elite - How Can I Maximize?

Hello. I am new to this forum

I reached Silver Elite status on America West at the end of last year after flying 30,000 miles in total from NY to CA monthly for work. I will be flying several more trips this year as well . . .

I book all of my flights online (the bonus has now gone to 500 instead of 3000). I recieved a bump in my Hilton Honors status to silver with my Elite status and I also have been using Alamo for my car rentals to get the triple miles.

I participate in idine through Flight Fund as well and I will be changing the spare phone line to Sprint their new telecommuniations partner (6000 mile bonus if I do it online). I am also going for their 5000 program (3 flights, 3 stays/rentals with hotel/car partners and 2 partnerships with other affilitaes such as Earthlink or Sprint). I also have the Bank of America debit card for which i get half a mile for regular purchaces and a mile for America West tickets.

Any other thoughts or ideas are truly appreciated . . .

Maddy
Old Jan 23, 03, 2:00 pm

Programs: Outgrew all status except AA: Plat for life (the program's); Costco: Ex Plat
"Maximize" can mean many things. If you're trying to accumulate as many HP miles as possible, I would get the Platinum HP/B of A Visa (credit card, not debit) -- at least for one year. You'll get a fat sign-up bonus (7500 miles) -- cheap for the annual fee, plus two miles for every $1 spent on HP tix. Used to also get two HP club passes.

To reiterate the (possibly) obvious, make sure you arrange your travel to retain your status. Silver is great to have on HP -- it's a much better airline when you're elite. If you fall short of miles or segments at year's end, try booking trips with extra (miles or segments).
Old Jan 23, 03, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Welcome to Flyertalk, TSUalum93!

In the hopes that you can get the best advice from America West flyers, and so that those looking for similar advice are most likely to see the responses, I'm going to move this thread over to the AmericaWest forum.

Please continue the thread there.

Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz! moderator
Old Jan 23, 03, 3:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Hi TSUAlum93 -- welcome to the HP corner of FlyerTalk.

The BofA visa card is a great suggestion. If you to go the Flight Fund section of the America West.com site, you will see a promotion that they are running through April 15. If you take four round trips, sign up for some partner stuff and stay in one of the partner hotels or rent a car a few times you can also earn 5,000 miles THAT COUNT TOWARD ELITE STATUS. This is a pretty generous offer, especially if you're going to do most of this stuff anyway. You have to register for this promotion, so don't forget to do that. Then, as you look at the options to maximize your other Flight Fund miles earning options, you'll not only be increasing your points, but earning your way toward this extra bonus.

To the extent that you travel enough to possibly reach the gold level of Flight Fund, there's a big difference in upgrade potential. Silver is still good but there's a lot of them. You'll get upgraded much more often if you're gold.

Good luck!

------------------
Moderator for Starwood and America West
Old Jan 23, 03, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Welcome TSUalum93!

In my opinion becoming at least Gold is necessary for good mileage accrual. If you qualify this year, you'll earn a 100% bonus on all flights next year not to mention the upgrades.

------------------
God Bless America West and British Airways

HP - Platinum/975k miles
BA - Dirt/5k Soon to be Gold
NW - Dirt/10k Only using for emergency flights
UA - Dirt/19k miles
AA - 60k/Using to get BAEC Gold and 1/2MM status.
Old Jan 23, 03, 10:03 pm

But the 100% bonus does not count toward elite qualification, correct? It is simply extra miles.
Old Jan 24, 03, 1:04 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
But the 100% bonus does not count toward elite qualification, correct? It is simply extra miles.
</font>
Yes, thats true. However, it helps you get to those wonderful BA First class awards a lot quicker.

------------------
God Bless America West and British Airways

HP - Platinum/975k miles
BA - Dirt/5k Soon to be Gold
NW - Dirt/10k Only using for emergency flights
UA - Dirt/19k miles
AA - 60k/Using to get BAEC Gold and 1/2MM status.
Old Jan 24, 03, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Plus, keep in mind, that as soon as you qualify this year, they'll elevate you to gold immediately for the balance of this year, as well as the following year.

Search this Thread