Platinum upgrades

Old Jan 23, 03, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Platinum upgrades

What are the chances of getting upgraded from CMH - PHX as a FF Platinum flyer?

ITN:

2/5/03 (wed) hp 73, cmh-phx, 2:20-4:34 p
2/7/03 (fri) hp 315, phx-cmh, 4:03-9:36 p

Also, how reliable is the electronic upgrade process if they have the FF # in the record?
Old Jan 23, 03, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Lowly Gold, HHonors Diamond
Since you're not going between PHX and EWR, I'd say your chances are about 90%. I always call in the morning (or after midnight at the departing airport time if I'm still up) to verify the auto upgrade. If it missed you, they'll do it manually if there's space.

If there's still no space, call back a few times each day - a seat will usually open up. I woudln't worry about it. I've gone thru CMH to get home from EWR to PHX several times - have never sat in the back on that route - even when going standby. Although I cut it close and got the battlefield promotion on the Saturday after 9/11.
Old Jan 23, 03, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, both your flights are getting busy in coach (probably won't sell out, though), but look wide open in First.

I like your chances!

Old Jan 23, 03, 3:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
As a Platinum, I've never sat in coach on that route.

In my experience, as long my your FF number is in the record and I am the only passenger in that record, I get automatically upgraded 100% of the time (assuming there is available space). I still look on line or call if I'm away from a computer to verify, but they've been getting all of my upgrades handled right on time, or even early, over the last year.

I also concur with the advice to call periodically if you're not automatically upgraded and they tell you F/C is full. On the few occasions that's happened to me (i.e. between PHX & EWR or JFK) a seat has opened up and they've been able to put me in it on the spot. I don't have the same level of confidence that I would have been upgraded if I didn't call.
Old Jan 23, 03, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, B6 Mosaic, HH Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG Gold Amb.
My upgrades had no problems clearing on flight HP73 in the past. You should be fine.

Search this Thread