Not a good day for America West

Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
Not a good day for America West

I happen to be one of the ones stuck last night...

DAILY OPERATIONAL UPDATE
---------------------------------------------January 9, 2003
Scheduled Flights 563
Cancellations 176*

*Our flight operations were immensely impacted due to the dense fog in Phoenix.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 2:10 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Dense fog in Phoenix? When was this? I didn't see any last night. I work in a 5 floor building three miles from the airport, and didnt see any fog. The city bus I take going home goes right through Sky Harbor and I saw no fog then.

------------------
God Bless America West and British Airways

HP - Platinum/970k miles
BA - Dirt/Soon to be Gold
NW - Dirt/Soon to be Plat
UA - Dirt/19k miles
AA - Dirt/Only using to get BA Tier points/miles.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 6:50 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
On Wednesday when I left my house in N Phoenix it was sunny, but by the time I got to Sky Harbor the vis was less than 1/4 mile. No departures for more than an hour. No arrivals for nearly five hours.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 6:51 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Thursday actually.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:10 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Geez Guys!!! Did you see the front page ofthe AZ Republic on Fri. This was not an HP problem , it was a PHX airport weather problem
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:39 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Part of the problem is the failure of HP to go to the expense of equiping aircraft and training crews to operate under FAA Catagory II or III low visability conditions.

Notice that HP is nowhere to be seen on the list of: SECTION 2. U.S. AIR CARRIERS APPROVED FOR CATEGORY II.

Often HP has to stop operations at airports where the other airlines are able to continue operations with minimal delays.

It would be interesting to check how many flights WN canceled out of PHX the same day.

But remember that HP pax aren't offered meals/accomodations for delays "caused" by weather conditions.

[This message has been edited by snake (edited 01-11-2003).]
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Chairman Starwood Gold Continental Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snake:
Part of the problem is the failure of HP to go to the expense of equiping aircraft and training crews to operate under FAA Catagory II or III low visability conditions.

Notice that HP is nowhere to be seen on the list of: SECTION 2. U.S. AIR CARRIERS APPROVED FOR CATEGORY II.

Often HP has to stop operations at airports where the other airlines are able to continue operations with minimal delays.

It would be interesting to check how many flights WN canceled out of PHX the same day.

But remember that HP pax aren't offered meals/accomodations for delays "caused" by weather conditions.

[This message has been edited by snake (edited 01-11-2003).]
</font>

This is very true. Last year I flew from San Diego to Phx to get to Boston. I was delayed over 4 hours in PHX because of weather on the East Coast. While 2 of my co-workers took off at the same time with no delay on American Airlines.

[This message has been edited by SanDiegoShaun (edited 01-11-2003).]
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoa, guys. It is true that AWA hasn't been Category II or III certified in the past, but it is now in the certification process now (any month now, apparently).

Of course, this would have made ZERO difference on Thursday because -- guess what -- PHX airport has no Cat. II or III capabilities! In short, everyone was in the same soup.

Where AWA could conceivably be faulted is in their response to the field closure. There have been a couple stories in the Az Republic about the delays, but this is all monday morning quarterbacking. There was nothing AWA could have done to get more people into PHX but (perhaps) it could have made connections easier for some pax, and maybe avoided couping folks up on aircraft. In hindsight, AWA probably should have cancelled more flights and diverted more aircraft (to the hub in LAS maybe), but remember, there really was a FOG of war.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 2:17 pm

All airlines at PHX were in the same boat since there is not CAT II or III at PHX. I was on a HP flight into BDL with less than a half mile visbility and the captain said after landing that the computer took the plane down the whole way, so I guess HP is using CAT III in some cases now to get the certification?
Old Jan 11, 2003, 6:24 pm
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
America West's A320's and A319's were FAA CAT II listed last September, which permits them to land with runway visability as low as 1200' at qualified airports, which PHX isn't, yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.