AWA Begins B O B Test Program

Old Dec 20, 2002, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
AWA Begins B O B Test Program

Hungry? AWA BEGINS BUY ON BOARD TEST PROGRAM
Old Dec 21, 2002, 12:07 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
People Express sold meals on their airplanes (in the 1980s). As I recall the coach meal was about 6 bucks and the first meal was 15 bucks. The food was actually decent for the bare bones carrier.
Old Dec 21, 2002, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So what is the typical frequent flyer's reaction to selling food on board? (I'll admit, I've been suggesting AWA try it).

It seems to me that, in a race to lower costs -- and a belief nobody will pay more for food -- airlines have cut food service to the point where it is virtually non-existent on domestic US coach flights. Indeed, the only hope of getting anything plausibly resembling a "meal," you pretty much have to take a transcon. And, even then, your odds are probably no better than 50-50.

But while "no one" seems to choose an airline for a sandwich, I do believe it's a good amenity to have on board. Flights are boring and (especially if you're connecting or flying across the country) you're likely to be travelling long enough to get hungry. So as long as the food is reasonably tasty and fairly priced, I think a fair number of folks will pay for it. And appreciate the chance to eat if they want to. Heck, it might even make the airlines a few bucks and -- given their perilous financial state -- that's a good thing for all concerned.

Indeed, if AWA's experiment works, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if, in a few years, ALL domestic coach meal service is "BOBed."

What do they say about no free lunch . . .
Old Dec 22, 2002, 12:21 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
I think it's about time a carrier experimented with this. I think the most difficult aspect will be judging what quantity of food to load on each flight. It simply wouldn't work for passengers to "pre-order" meals, because too many would change their minds.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think pre-order works either. Ideally, you load food that will last a couple of flights (something like convenience store sandwiches?) and sell until you run out.

I suspect that's the plan.
Old Jan 3, 2003, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Air Canada does it with their Tango product. It works.

http://www.flytango.com/en/facts/services.html
Old Jan 3, 2003, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
If the FA's have trouble making change for a $4 beer, what is this going to do?
Old Jan 3, 2003, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Maybe they can locate a couple of FA's from the ol' People Express to come and teach 'em how to make change.
Old Jan 4, 2003, 2:20 pm

I thought that the "B O B" stood for the BankOneBallpark in PHX and the BigOldBuilding in Grand Rapids, MI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.