America West Upgrades

Old Dec 21, 2002, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-3 MM Marriott Lifetime Plat Hyatt Globalist
America West Upgrades

I have some upcoming flights on AMerica West to Vegas from FLL. This is the only airline in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami market that goes nonstop. They dont have any partners with other major airlines anymore. I am looking for some upgrades for first class. Any ideas. Not that they have a great first class but every flight is full since National went out of business.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
If you have status on another airline you could ask for a match and hopefor EUA
Old Dec 22, 2002, 1:36 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
You can purchase an upgrade at the gate...I believe a one-way upgrade costs $200 on that particular route (doublecheck with www.americawest.com).
HP FC service is not phenomenal, but not much worse than that of NW, for example. I recommend booking for a flight on A319, as these are the newest in their fleet and have nice FC seats. Try not to get on one of the B757...
Old Dec 22, 2002, 5:05 pm

I can say that I believe America West first class product is better than Northwest and on par with CO. Food service on HP far out does NW domestic, their salad's are great!

HP Vs. CO in terms of food I would give the edge to CO. Presentation is about the same on both CO and HP, however both far out do NW in this area.

Seats are better on HP in my opinion than NW, however I would give the edge to CO in seat comfort and leg room. Legroom is about the same on NW and HP.

Your flight from FLL-LAS probably will noy feature any meal. CMH-LAS does not have one.

The only flight I have on HP in first was BDL-PHX on a 5 hour 34 minute flight, thats all I can judge from.

Eric
Old Dec 23, 2002, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage EXP/1mm/Admirals,United Silver+Club (life),Marriott Titanium,Hilton & Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyBDL:
...I can say that I believe America West first class product is better than Northwest and on par with CO. Food service on HP far out does NW domestic, their salad's are great</font>
I completely disagree. While America West's flights to the East Coast offer a slightly better service, their flights to Midwest/Great Lakes destinations are truly awful. They really need to improve the quality on those flights. I haven't flown America West to Texas or New Orleans lately, but in the past these destinations had no First Class meal service. Continental has decent meal service on IAH flights in F, as does NW to MEM.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 8:16 am
Original Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FlyBDL:
[B]I can say that I believe America West first class product is better than Northwest and on par with CO. Food service on HP far out does NW domestic, their salad's are great!

I completely agree.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 11:41 am

I usually fly ORD-LAS,ORD-PHX and the service in F has always, except for one flight a few years ago, been excellent.The legroom in F is a little lacking.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 1:09 pm

I just flew NW PHX-MEM on Thursday of last week. The lunch was alright. The choices were a Ham sandwich with bree cheese which was average. The other selection was a chicken pasta salad which I have had before. I would take the salad over the sandwich next time. What I dont like about NW is that the meals come from the cart. HP is much more profesional, along with CO in this category.

I would agree that HP needs to improve on the mid range flights in first. However, their long haul flights are usually very good service from what I gather and have seen on my one flight corss country.

Eric

[This message has been edited by FlyBDL (edited 12-23-2002).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.