ITN codes for HP...

Old Mar 15, 2002, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

ITN codes for HP...

I called to ask HP about the fare "bucket" that Elite upgrades come from.

Here's what I was told: Elite upgrades come from (E), mileage upgrades come from (F).

However, ITN does not show availability in (E). Does anyone know how to find out how many seats are available, or get released, on HP?

I really do like the fact that HP and AS upgrades come from the revenue class, not the from the capacity controlled CO F bucket.
Old Mar 18, 2002, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors (working back up)
Depending on the flight, only 1 or 2 seats are held in the 'F' bucket. All others are in the 'E' bucket. Some flights to EWR (and other East coast cities, I'm sure) will hold 3 seats in the 'F' bucket, but I've had luck getting them to cough 1 of those up when trying to get my Plat upgrades 3 days out.

BTW: ITN is usually not right for HP flights. You never see anything over F4. Somtimes you;ll see F0 and there will be seats, or sometimes you'll see F1 and there won't be any.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
More info please

I need to go to Vegas next year and would prefer to do so on a non-stop flight from DCA.

I have two questions.

Is there a full fare coach that is instantly upgradeable on HP? If so, how can i do it?

Secondly is this really the fare hierarchy on HP, with W being higher than B?

F4 Y4 H4 W4 B4 Q4 L4 K4 V0 M0
Old Sep 7, 2005, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
I need to go to Vegas next year and would prefer to do so on a non-stop flight from DCA.

I have two questions.

Is there a full fare coach that is instantly upgradeable on HP? If so, how can i do it?

Secondly is this really the fare hierarchy on HP, with W being higher than B?

F4 Y4 H4 W4 B4 Q4 L4 K4 V0 M0
Yes Y and H should be automatically upgradable. I've had problems before with some H tickets (non refundable full fare) but calling a few times usually got me the upgrade.

That's the fare structure I've always seen from HP which is different than US Airways which has W much farther down the scale.

Lance
Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Y and H classes are instantly upgradeable, but only to Flight Fund Elite members. Space in E bucket must be available.

If you book online at americawest.com, when you are signed in and the system recognizes you as an Elite member, it gives you the option in the "class of service" pull-down menu of pricing the lowest priced Y or H fare that would get you instantly upgraded, and then, when it prices the ticket out for you it tells you whether that upgrade is currently available. However, it won't confirm you straight into first, you have to call after ticketing to verify that it is available.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by FlyinMike
Depending on the flight, only 1 or 2 seats are held in the 'F' bucket. All others are in the 'E' bucket. Some flights to EWR (and other East coast cities, I'm sure) will hold 3 seats in the 'F' bucket, but I've had luck getting them to cough 1 of those up when trying to get my Plat upgrades 3 days out. . .
Unfortunately, this is no longer true. It used to be the case, but not since they started aggressively selling the discounted first class tickets. I have found that in every case in recent months that I've attempted to secure E class upgrades in advance using miles that the number of available seats are significantly limited. I've encountered this on many occasions over the past year.

For example, for an upcoming trip I have to Europe on BA, I've booked a DFW-PHX connecting flight on the return in coach and wanted to upgrade two of us to first. There was not a single person booked into first class -- all seats were open according to the agent. However, only one of them was available to confirm using miles. All the rest were "being held back." At my request, the agent sent a note to the magicians who control such things, and they opened a second one up for me, reportedly based upon my long term Plat status with the airline, but the agent on the phone told me that definitely doesn't happen every day. So, I was obviously happy with the outcome, but it is a clear example that they are much more singy about that E class bucket than they used to be.

Edited to add: BTW, I have yet to find a tool that will show HP E fare class availability, and I think I've tried every one of them that has come around here on FT.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Sep 7, 2005 at 11:50 am
Old Sep 7, 2005, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Edited to add: BTW, I have yet to find a tool that will show HP E fare class availability, and I think I've tried every one of them that has come around here on FT.
Is there any way to see HP Class availability at all? Since the itn tool always has fours all across its not very helpful.
Old Sep 7, 2005, 8:03 pm

Programs: HP/US
Unfortunately, this is no longer true. It used to be the case, but not since they started aggressively selling the discounted first class tickets. I have found that in every case in recent months that I've attempted to secure E class upgrades in advance using miles that the number of available seats are significantly limited. I've encountered this on many occasions over the past year.

And...get ready. There are soon to be 14 codes for HP/US flights, not including FlightFund.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
BTW, I have yet to find a tool that will show HP E fare class availability, and I think I've tried every one of them that has come around here on FT.

This is probably intentional. Over at US, we always used to be able to see the "E" bucket on ITN. But, at RoachFest, US managment revealed that they had intentionally removed the "E" bucket from public access, including ITN.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
This is probably intentional. Over at US, we always used to be able to see the "E" bucket on ITN. But, at RoachFest, US managment revealed that they had intentionally removed the "E" bucket from public access, including ITN.
Mind boggling. Take away visibility to information that allows us to figure out what is available when so that we can properly plan out our requests before we call, greatly minimizing the number and duration of phone calls to their support people. Smart, huh?
Old Sep 8, 2005, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Mind boggling. Take away visibility to information that allows us to figure out what is available when so that we can properly plan out our requests before we call, greatly minimizing the number and duration of phone calls to their support people. Smart, huh?
AZ --

Don't forget that, not too many years ago, we had NO access to any availability. Honestly, I must side with the airlines in this case. FF and upgrade availability is proprietary information. Some airlines may choose to share it, but they are certainly not required to do so.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 7:31 pm

Is there any way to see HP Class availability at all? Since the itn tool always has fours all across its not very helpful.
expertflyer.com --- can show you specific HP class availability for a week's worth of dates at one query. unfortunately, not for E class-- but they are gradually adding more airlines' "special" classes to the system.
Old Sep 8, 2005, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by formeraa
AZ --

Don't forget that, not too many years ago, we had NO access to any availability. Honestly, I must side with the airlines in this case. FF and upgrade availability is proprietary information. Some airlines may choose to share it, but they are certainly not required to do so.
I completely get that free seat and upgrade availability is information that the airlines are not required to share. However, from a customer's perspective, help me understand why you would side with an airline in its decision to hide it? What is they are trying to hide and what is their motivation for hiding it? (Keep in mind, not all airlines choose to hide it.)

In reality, there is a very small percentage of frequent travelers who even understand what the information is and how to use it. But for those of us who do, the ability to plan out the dates, airlines and flights with availability before calling the airline saves an extraordinary amount of phone time.

Case in point: I recently booked 5 tickets to China in a combination of first and business class through UA using Star Alliance partners. Using available online tools, I figured out which airline had how much space on which dates and flights. Armed with that information, I called United, spoke with an agent and layed out the itineraries. In under 20 minutes we had five tickets booked and issued. The agent was dumbfounded. Without that information I would have spent hours on phone, with multiple agents, and likely would still not have been able to get five of us on the same itinerary, all in first and business.

Availability is what it is -- why hide it? And, as interesting to me, why support their hiding it?

Originally Posted by martin33
expertflyer.com --- can show you specific HP class availability for a week's worth of dates at one query. unfortunately, not for E class-- but they are gradually adding more airlines' "special" classes to the system.
True, but expertflyer and other tools can only show it when the airline makes it available. US used to but no longer does. It appears HP doesn't allow it either.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Sep 8, 2005 at 7:38 pm
Old Sep 9, 2005, 6:59 am

Not that it's entirely relevant to this thread, but in my one booking of a "Y or H" fare upgrade, it automatically confirmed the first class seats after purchase (including seat selection).

Or should I call to confirm?
Old Sep 9, 2005, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by superboom
Not that it's entirely relevant to this thread, but in my one booking of a "Y or H" fare upgrade, it automatically confirmed the first class seats after purchase (including seat selection).

Or should I call to confirm?
You can pull up your reservation online and confirm your seats. If that shows you in first, you're there -- no need to call.

I've never had this happen. I wonder if it is new functionality or if I've just been unlucky. It's great news, though. ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.