Club ANA SFO-NRT: What to Expect?

Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Club ANA SFO-NRT: What to Expect?

I will be flying Club ANA next month, thanks to the very low super saver biz fare. I have not flown ANA since the mid-90's and I can't find good information on the service either on their web site, or here, using search.

I understand some regulars are now complaining about diminished service and food quality, but I imagine that it will still put UA and AA to shame. My specific questions:

1. Power ports - what are the receptacles? Standard cigarette lighter, Empower, or something else?

2. Headphones - I assume that they provide NC headphones in J, what brand?

3. AVOD - opinions on the selection of English movies?

I chose 7D on the outbound, 5D on the return. Any opinions about the best seats?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
I will be flying Club ANA next month, thanks to the very low super saver biz fare. I have not flown ANA since the mid-90's and I can't find good information on the service either on their web site, or here, using search.

I understand some regulars are now complaining about diminished service and food quality, but I imagine that it will still put UA and AA to shame. My specific questions:

1. Power ports - what are the receptacles? Standard cigarette lighter, Empower, or something else?

2. Headphones - I assume that they provide NC headphones in J, what brand?

3. AVOD - opinions on the selection of English movies?

I chose 7D on the outbound, 5D on the return. Any opinions about the best seats?
Their own website will answer most of these questions, especially with specifics about what is playing on AVOD. You can also see your menus there (pics too, on flights ex-Japan).

Seats sound fine.

Eat something before boarding or you may end up being quite hungry!
Old Sep 1, 2009, 9:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I can't find good information on the service either on their web site
I find this statement a little bit incredulous. I found this website within two clicks on the ANA North America web site.

http://www.ana.co.jp/int/service/con.../index_ge.html
Old Sep 2, 2009, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by francophile
I find this statement a little bit incredulous. I found this website within two clicks on the ANA North America web site.

http://www.ana.co.jp/int/service/con.../index_ge.html
Perhaps you could show me where the site tells me what kind of power ports are available, and whether or not J-class pax are provided NC headphones. There is a very interesting description about their smoked nuts and warm rice balls, and movies that were playing in April... I already went to that site, which is why I asked the questions here, figuring experienced ANA travelers would know. And they think that the AA forum is bad...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:37 pm
mjm
Original Member

Well it ain't football chat but what the heck

Seat and Powerports:

http://www.ana.co.jp/int/service/con...7_300er_e.html

Headphones:
http://www.ana.co.jp/int/service/con...t/index_e.html

Should be a great flight. I love ANA.

Mike
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:41 pm

Hoping to fill in the gaps...
I understand some regulars are now complaining about diminished service and food quality, but I imagine that it will still put UA and AA to shame.
Quite Things would have to be about 100x worse on NH before they reach the sheer depths of the USA carriers.
You can use the standard two-prong AC adapters.
The mini-cabin is generally quieter and nicer - if you can get the desired position (i.e. window/aisle) in the Row 3-5 then I'd say go for it.

Bulkhead seats will be better for window passenger's aisle access but less storage options - if the flight is not full, then I'd take a window on any row, but if the flight is very full then I would prefer a bulkhead.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:42 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
I flew SFO-NRT in Club ANA a few weeks ago. Excellent service, good IFE options. The seat is flat, but a bit angled. ANA passes out cardigans to keep you warm. Second meal can be had anytime after the first, and there are various options to choose from.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Eat something before boarding or you may end up being quite hungry!

I disagree, while there has been a reduction with the 2nd meal service on some routes, the inflight snacks are plentiful, tasty and served to you with a beautiful smile, as many times as you wish.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
I flew SFO-NRT in Club ANA a few weeks ago. Excellent service, good IFE options. The seat is flat, but a bit angled. ANA passes out cardigans to keep you warm. Second meal can be had anytime after the first, and there are various options to choose from.
For some reason, I typically find ANA planes to be somewhat warm. Even in F they do not offer individual air conditioning nozzles.....at least the flights that I have been on so I do not find the pj's or cardigans necessary. But then again I am always rather warm on planes.

The C seat is indeed flat, a la Lufthansa, however, very comfortable. Service in C is outstanding. As for the meal service I have found ANA to be rather generous in terms of portions, and choices, coupled with the in-flight snacks available and the second meal, I have never felt hungry in any way.

Enjoy the trip!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:38 pm

>> thanks to the very low super saver biz fare

What kind of rate did you get and where did you get it?
Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
I'm sure you'll find their service and seats to be top notch. Their new business class is really superb but if you have the miles to upgrade to first I highly recommend it.

In Biz class there will be power ports and the bed does go flat. There's this new sort of wood trim stuff and lots of entertainment. Many English channels with Japanese subtitles.

Pick a middle section Aisle as you'll have the greatest chance of having nobody next to you, and even if you do the person will have an alternate means of going to the restroom if you are sleeping.

Have a look at Jetphotos.net for pictures of ANA's new biz class.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 5:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold - Qantas Club/Silver - Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by joshman
I'm sure you'll find their service and seats to be top notch. Their new business class is really superb but if you have the miles to upgrade to first I highly recommend it.

In Biz class there will be power ports and the bed does go flat. There's this new sort of wood trim stuff and lots of entertainment. Many English channels with Japanese subtitles.

Pick a middle section Aisle as you'll have the greatest chance of having nobody next to you, and even if you do the person will have an alternate means of going to the restroom if you are sleeping.

Have a look at Jetphotos.net for pictures of ANA's new biz class.
Well said Joshman - you have hit the spot! All good advice, indeed!

BTW SJCFlyerLG, enjoy the great Japanese food, excellent little bags of rice crackers and the mini bottles of Champagne!

Cheers, AG. :-:
Old Sep 16, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, AX Cent so...Delta Plat, SPG Gold, etc..
Originally Posted by phuket_jeff
>> thanks to the very low super saver biz fare

What kind of rate did you get and where did you get it?
They have that special rate on their www.ana.co.jp website, just start booking and it'll pop up trying to nudge you into Biz Class.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.