Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded food and service in business class

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
I think we will stick with JAL in the future - at least they are more consistent, and their new F cabin (suites) on the 777 is now better than ANA's F.
It's all very well when you're flying to JFK and SFO, but what about all the other international routes (including all of Europe) that still has the awful Skysleeper Solo seats? I can't believe that JL made the seat so terrible, when NH got theirs so perfect (for that product generation).

Also, apart from one poster's comments about bad food, I haven't seen anything to suggest that NH F has become variable lately. Unless you've read something I missed?
Old Aug 2, 2009, 4:35 am

IMHO I agree that I will also take JL from now on.. The first class food on NH 5 last week was inedbible... Since I consider the food was the cornerstone of the NH first class experience I DO think the NH service has become "variable". . too bad for such a great airline....
Old Aug 2, 2009, 6:08 am

As others have posted, the declining quality of food in F and slow service has caused me to eschew NH for other carriers.

Plus, their re-washed sleeper suits are absolutely the worst.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stargold
It's all very well when you're flying to JFK and SFO, but what about all the other international routes (including all of Europe) that still has the awful Skysleeper Solo seats? I can't believe that JL made the seat so terrible, when NH got theirs so perfect (for that product generation).

Also, apart from one poster's comments about bad food, I haven't seen anything to suggest that NH F has become variable lately. Unless you've read something I missed?
Hi Stargold,

My post was referring to the C class.
We only do F regularly from NRT to the US, and we don't go from the US to NRT (usually via Europe), but from what I've read, the US to NRT F meals have not been as good as of late.

Cheers
Old Aug 2, 2009, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW4
IMHO I agree that I will also take JL from now on.. The first class food on NH 5 last week was inedbible... Since I consider the food was the cornerstone of the NH first class experience I DO think the NH service has become "variable". . too bad for such a great airline....
I think from other posts that we have similar tastes, so I'm not surprised by this change of yours.......the meals on JL have surpassed NH F, and I didn't think I would EVER say that.
The JL suite outdoes the current NH F absolutely. The privacy factor is the biggest one. It also puts the SQ new F to shame.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:54 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
After reading this thread, I thought I might chime in with these two links from the recent ANA Americas Magazine email.

This notes the Platinum award for catering out of NRT,
http://www.ana.co.jp/int/service/con...200903_ge.html

I like this one as it mentions the smoked nuts "enhancement"
http://www.ana.co.jp/int/service/con.../index_ge.html
Old Aug 6, 2009, 6:44 am

Let me respectfully reiterate that I have flown many NH transpacific flights in first class on ANA.. The food quality FROM the USA definitely has changed.. I could not actually believe how poor the quality was of ALL the dishes that I tried. The service was amazing but I will not be flying them for a while... I actually flew from NRT-JFK a couple of weeks before and I had actually though that the food was not as tasty as the flight just a couple of months prior....
Old Aug 7, 2009, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

As if we need any more conclusive evidences that NH F has gone downhill quite a bit:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-n...ted-miles.html

You know trouble when you smell it. Now that NH F cabin will be swamped with UA cheapos using MP miles, we can kiss quality service and food on NH F goodbye for a while. No, I don't think it will ever get quite as bad as the prison matron class or UA staff lounge class as in UA Int'l F, still this will not be the same NH F that many of us wrote about in the years past.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Guava
You know trouble when you smell it. Now that NH F cabin will be swamped with UA cheapos using MP miles, we can kiss quality service and food on NH F goodbye for a while. No, I don't think it will ever get quite as bad as the prison matron class or UA staff lounge class as in UA Int'l F, still this will not be the same NH F that many of us wrote about in the years past.
No, it doesn't, a few people manage to get it, doesn't mean it is open to all.

It is impossible in the past to get NH F with UA miles ? Wrong assumption, people don't report have the success doesn't mean it is not avaiable at all thru UA miles. I have done it in the past and didn't report it here, as well as others. Even the past year I was once again looking for F award to HKG from ORD, it was avaiable again from UA award desk, but I choose OZ instead. Tried it once, don't need to do the same airline again.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by RTW4
Let me respectfully reiterate that I have flown many NH transpacific flights in first class on ANA.. The food quality FROM the USA definitely has changed.. I could not actually believe how poor the quality was of ALL the dishes that I tried. The service was amazing but I will not be flying them for a while... I actually flew from NRT-JFK a couple of weeks before and I had actually though that the food was not as tasty as the flight just a couple of months prior....
Wow -- food quality is important enough that you would actually switch carriers? I like a great meal on a plane, but it ranks below several of other considerations. By far, my biggest concern on an intercon is seat comfort (or bed in the case of F on some carriers). Second would be in-flight entertainment; third FA attentiveness/attitude (pretty spotty on most US-based carriers); and fourth would be quality of food.

As for ANA, I'll be flying back the day after running the Tokyo Marathon, so the spaciousness and comfort of their F suite is what I care most about.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:59 am

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
ANA: Once a Lexus, now a Toyota Corolla
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:27 am

Programs: ROP
Food quality ranks high on my list as well. A good meal is something to look forward to and it can make or break a flight.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:36 am

Programs: ROP
Be aware that the chicken in Y bibimbap out of NRT is actually ground, and there's not much of it. I'll probably try the noodles next time; someone across the aisle had it and it looked pretty good with actual pieces of meat.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 5:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
I am just back from NRT-JFK-NRT in Biz: Other than the breadsticks I wasn't missing a single thing:

NRT-JFK: Perfect service, young crew, very attentive & lots of smiles. Food: Super Cheeseburger as a nice treat, very good bread selection and olive oil to dip salt and sesame. Very good meat - NH has not saved on the quality and preparation was exactly to the point. Had a good rest and think that NH is delivering value for money. Very nice egg benedict for breakfast - first ever on an airplane!

JFK-NRT: Good service, attentive crew. Food: Quality significantly lower standards - especially the meat. Very chewy, not nice and not prepared to the point. Again, nice bread selection and plenty of snacks to chose from.

What I very much liked is that both flights take off around noon and NH is serving lunch. After that there is no forced and scheduled meal service - pax can pick whatever and whenever they want something. That is very nice as you can decide how long you wanna sleep and crew is prepared to get you food at any given point in time!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SMK77
Other than the breadsticks I wasn't missing a single thing
But what else is there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.