Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Nagoya Airport Question: *A Gold benefit and viewing dec

Old Jun 7, 09, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond , Marriott Gold , IHG Plat

I am flying J Class on SQ from SIN to Nagoya and then connecting on ANA for a regional Y flight to NRT. I am a *A Gold Bmi holder and wondered if there was an arrivals facility at Nagoya. My flight is the overnight flight and wanted to freshen up.

Also I know that there is a viewing dec at the airport. Is this air or land side and is it available if I am on the domestic service. I have about 7 hours in the airport so wanted to make best use of the facilities there. Thx
Old Jun 9, 09, 7:44 am

bath with a view ....

If you haven't yet checked out. But 7 hours, I think, are long enuf for a short trip to the city.

http://www.centrair.jp/en/service/sv...x.html#1174635
Old Jun 9, 09, 1:43 pm

I don't recall any shower facilities at the *A lounge at NGO, but since I was flying out and not arriving, I didn't pay much attention

Yes, you can get into the city in as little as 30 minutes on the train. The Meitetsu Airport Line runs directly from the airport station direct to the Meitetsu Nagoya Station. IIRC, the ticket machines do not take foreign credit cards, but there are several ATMs (including Citibank) at the Nagoya Airport train station, if you're looking for a place to get some yen.

Once in Nagoya, the Meitetsu station is adjacent to the JR Nagoya Station where there is a marvelous Takashimaya department store, a Marriott Hotel, and a ton of very interesting restaurants, located on the 12th & 13th floors (my favorite is the miso-katsu place), serving just about every conceivable type of Japanese and Western food (at moderate prices).

Back at NGO, IMHO, the 'must-see' is the Miya-no-Yu, ("Bath with a Great View') located in the 4th floor 'Sky Town' complex. It's landside, as is the outdoor observation deck, but, yes, you really can sit there in the bath and soak while watching planes take off and land. It's one of those 'only in Japan' experiences.
Old Jun 9, 09, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVP, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sfpaul900 View Post

Back at NGO, IMHO, the 'must-see' is the Miya-no-Yu, ("Bath with a Great View') located in the 4th floor 'Sky Town' complex. It's landside, as is the outdoor observation deck, but, yes, you really can sit there in the bath and soak while watching planes take off and land. It's one of those 'only in Japan' experiences.
Good info.
Re: Miya-no-Yu, it sounds really cool. Got to try that next time.
Old Jun 17, 09, 2:31 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Hilton Diamond
Those of you who want to visit Miya-no-yu at NGO, be sure you are comfortable being naked in the bathhouse.

In a Japanese bathhouse, you are required to be fully naked when you go into the bath. Swim short or any other types of short are not allowed. The only item you can carry with you is a towel.

While most Japanese would have no problem with this, I know many foreigners (especially Americans and Asians) don't feel comfortable being naked in front of others.

So, you've been warned!
Old Jun 27, 09, 9:06 am

Programs: ANA *G, JAL, Priority Club
I recommend that you may join a tour guiding the airport facility for 45 minites.
The tour starts at 9:45, 11:15, and 16:15 (Except for Wednesdays and Thursdays).

http://www.centrair.jp/event/inspect/index.html

If you are lucky, you can see a dreamlifter!
http://www.centrair.jp/kikaku/dreamlifter.html
Old Jun 27, 09, 9:21 am

Programs: ANA *G, JAL, Priority Club
How about riding a segway? :-:
http://www.centrair.jp/news/2009/1182107_3516.html
Old Jun 27, 09, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by sfpaul900 View Post
I had a 5 hour layover in Nagoya a few months back and had a great time wandering around the airport, and yes the bath was -GREAT-. Very relaxing and watching the airplanes while sitting in the tub or lounging in the chairs outside is very fun. I wouldn't worry even if you're shy though, everybody is wearing the same thing so that makes it a lot easier

The viewing terrace outside is also a great time as you have a very close view of departing and arriving aircraft.

Be sure to try one of the Japanese restaurants outside of the baths too I had an excellent Tonkatsu lunch at Tonkatsu Wako.

All in all, NGO is a great place to spend a few hours, although if you have 7 hours you might do well in spending a couple of hours in the city too.
Old Jul 9, 09, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by allset2travel View Post
Good info.
Re: Miya-no-Yu, it sounds really cool. Got to try that next time.
When I flew into NGO last year, that WAS my "arrival lounge". Showered, soaked, unwound from the flight. Then took the Shinkansen to Tokyo and slept the entire way. Relacccc!
Old Jul 9, 09, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gijoe24jp View Post
Those of you who want to visit Miya-no-yu at NGO, be sure you are comfortable being naked in the bathhouse.

In a Japanese bathhouse, you are required to be fully naked when you go into the bath. Swim short or any other types of short are not allowed. The only item you can carry with you is a towel.

While most Japanese would have no problem with this, I know many foreigners (especially Americans and Asians) don't feel comfortable being naked in front of others.

So, you've been warned!
Are they at least separated male and female ? I know most bathhouse in Japan have that kind of settings.
Old Jul 20, 09, 2:00 pm

Programs: CX MPC Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG View Post
Are they at least separated male and female ? I know most bathhouse in Japan have that kind of settings.
Yes, men and women have separate bathhouse.
Old Oct 10, 13, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Is the observation terrace still open? Is there a charge to access it? It's still called Smile Terrace, right? I can't seem to find anything about it on the airport's website.
Old Oct 11, 13, 12:10 am
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
Is the observation terrace still open? Is there a charge to access it? It's still called Smile Terrace, right? I can't seem to find anything about it on the airport's website.
It's caled the Sky Deck now, and it is free.

http://www.centrair.jp/interest/visi...t/skydeck.html
http://www.centrair.com/en/information/enjoy/
Old Oct 12, 13, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by armagebedar View Post
No taking your luggage cart on there though on account of the fact that the weight might damage the wooden deck. Guys on Segways will come and scold you if you do. Any attempts at protest or suggestions that the idiots on their Segways weigh more than my luggage will be met with blank stares.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: