FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   Former ANA Employee (IAD) answers your questions. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/841811-former-ana-employee-iad-answers-your-questions.html)

tenhik19 Jul 5, 2008 12:44 pm

Former ANA Employee (IAD) answers your questions.

I worked at ANA for some time as a passenger service agent at Washington-Dulles while I was in college (I speak quasi-fluent Japanese) up until a few months ago. I can answer many of your questions involving ANA policies for international passengers, IAD, ANA MC and the like. What I cannot do is use my connections to get you special services or upgrades, which even I barely can do, so any inquiries of the sort will be immediately ignored. I also will not divulge any confidential information or any info that could be used to abuse ANA policy.

chumbawumba Jul 5, 2008 2:17 pm

tenhik19, a warm welcome to FT. I am sure, we will appreciate your knowledge.

gleff Jul 5, 2008 3:36 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, tenhik19!

Having flown NH out of IAD, I wonder if we've met? Regardless, look forward to your contributions! :)

pueywei Jul 6, 2008 9:34 pm

I'm sure many will be interested if it is possible to buy a standby upgrade, and how much it costs. :)

schoflyer Jul 7, 2008 2:15 am

Hi tenhik19:

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Just to clarify a couple items if you don't mind...

IAD ground staff right? APO ops would be a strong suit with AMC issues/details running a distant second? Sorry just my experience with the industry in general.

Is your PM (Personal Message) function in your profile turned on?

Cheers,

Schoflyer

ninja138 Jul 7, 2008 9:24 pm

Welcome to FT! Looking forward to your expertise.

ksandness Jul 9, 2008 11:41 am

Why did NH get rid of what for me was its greatest selling point over JAL, namely, the 34" seat pitch in coach?

The idea of flying transpac with 31" pitch and 16.5" width was enough to make me switch to UA's E+ for my trips to Japan. If I were ever prosperous enough to afford Premium Economy, I'd go back to NH in a heartbeat, due to the superior service, food, and IFE, but with tiny seats, uh-uh.

Was this change ever explained to rank-and-file employees?

grahampros Jul 10, 2008 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by ksandness (Post 10007115)
Why did NH get rid of what for me was its greatest selling point over JAL, namely, the 34" seat pitch in coach?

The idea of flying transpac with 31" pitch and 16.5" width was enough to make me switch to UA's E+ for my trips to Japan. If I were ever prosperous enough to afford Premium Economy, I'd go back to NH in a heartbeat, due to the superior service, food, and IFE, but with tiny seats, uh-uh.

Was this change ever explained to rank-and-file employees?

I'm not nor was ever an NH employee, but I can answer that as somone who's been a consutlant to the airline industry for 10 years now.

There was simply no payback for them to have 34' pitch. Though many on FT ( we're not necssarily the typical flyer) might make a choice on carrier on economy ticket on this basis, the vast majority will not. Folks choose on price and schedule. NH was forgoing revenue by not either craming in more seats in the back or increasing the size of the C cabin.

Premium economy makes far more sense becasue they get a revenue premium for the extra space.

hairpeace Jul 14, 2008 11:28 am

Originally Posted by grahampros (Post 10015482)
There was simply no payback for them to have 34' pitch. Though many on FT ( we're not necssarily the typical flyer) might make a choice on carrier on economy ticket on this basis, the vast majority will not. Folks choose on price and schedule. NH was forgoing revenue by not either craming in more seats in the back or increasing the size of the C cabin.

Premium economy makes far more sense becasue they get a revenue premium for the extra space.

My thoughts exactly ^