Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you speak English or Japanese with FAs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2007, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Do you speak English or Japanese with FAs?

I have only flown NH F 4x, so my sample size is too small to make any sweeping assumptions. But in general, I've found English skills to be poor to OK--though much better than two NH Intra-Asia J experiences.
I lived in Japan for 6 years, including 3 years in rural northern Japan, so my Japanese is usually as good or better than the Fa's English.
I found service on NH in F is quite good, but depends on the FA's English skills as to whether it's going to be warmer and friendlier, or kinda robotic...... I have found that the FA is often much more relaxed and comfortable when I speak Japanese--especially after I try out my Aomori-ben on them, other FAs come up to greet me and listen!
Some of the FAs have been happy to switch to Japanese--two thanked me, in fact (?). Another, when I spoke Japanese to her, always replied in English. So I went back to English--generally, I use the language the FA is more comfortable using.
So--I'm just curious about what language other Westerners use?
Old Jun 30, 2007, 2:27 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
I always use English on international flights and my Japanese is pretty fluent. Although maybe this is because I'm invariably addressed in English and I believe it's polite to answer in the language in which one is addressed.

If I were spoken to in Japanese I would answer in Japanese and wouldn't mind (as on domestic flights).

The only time I always use Japanese is when I'm calling ANA (usually to chase up a waitlisted upgrade ). The English is bad and getting worse at the call centre.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 3:57 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
More of a JAL flier (I know it's a bad habit) but more or less fluent in Japanese so I try to use Japanese first. If the FA seems reluctant then switch to English.
Old Jun 30, 2007, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since I don't speak Japanese, I try to stick to English...
Old Jul 1, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Japanese. I believe it it written in my profile somewhere that I speak Japanese as well.

Sometimes the profile is not reviewed by the FA and this fact is overlooked along with my beer preference. But the FA's are always relieved to find that I speak Japanese.

Last flight with an "older" Chief Purser, she clearly read the profile. She never once attempted English and when she came around for the first beverage service she asked if I wanted my usual Asahi.

Cheers,

Scho
Old Jul 1, 2007, 3:29 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
How do you get beer preference on your profile?
Old Jul 1, 2007, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA, NW
When I fly on Japanese airlines, the FAs usually address me in English first, but I switch to Japanese if there are communication problems.
Old Jul 4, 2007, 3:43 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I don't speak Japanese well. I am Chinese-Canadian. Everytime I fly with ANA flying out from Japan, they speak to me in Japanese first. Stereotype is stereotype. Resistance is futile. I am sure Japanese people flying Cathay Pacific would get asked in Cantonese.

The most memorial events I remembered when flying from Tokyo to Thailand was this. I flew in Business class summer 2006. The Flight Attendent prepared more raw fish (sashimi) dishes than there were teriyaki beef. There was also more caucasian passengers than normal. I hate raw fish. After the flight attendent (she was cute) took each order, she found out she didn't have enough teriyaki beef. Did she ask the white guys to try raw fish? Nope. She went to me and asked if I can do her a favor and accomidate the caucasion passenger and take the raw fish. I made a sad face (to let her know I am not that serious and to make her feel better). I acted like a little boy who just got his candy taken away and asked "why me?" and acted as if I was crying. She laughed and replied "because 'they' (the other caucasion passengers) would not eat raw fish". Damn... I should have tried getting her number...

The point is this. The stereotype is pretty much alive and I got use to accepting how it would be. If you are white, they assume you speak only English. You look East Asian on a Japanese airline, they assume you speak Japanese. You look East Asian and can afford a ticket on a Hong Kong airline, they assume you speak Cantonese.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Japanese. Obaachan would be rolling around in her grave if I didnt

On international flights, I've found it to get them more engaged-not necessarily more friendly, but definitely more engaged. Haven't flown NH intra-Asia, but I have domestically, and Japanese is really the only way to go. I remember one time checking in at HND, and the agent was trying to explain to me in extremely broken Engrish that the window was misaligned and that I might prefer the aisle seat instead. I couldn't really understand, so a quick switch to Japanese took care of everything.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
English. However I am puzzled why this is an issue at all. For me, sitting in an airplane seat doesn't call for much verbal interaction beyond "more water please" and "do you have the asahi shimbun or <insert newspaper of choice here>?". I have gotten by in other countries with simple hand gestures. I flew NRT-IAD yesterday and the following was all the conversation I had and/or needed:

Me (boarding plane): Hi
CA: Boarding pass please? (in Japanese)
Me: (show boarding pass)
CA: This way please (in English)

Pre-departure:
CA comes with reading material - I picked out a newspaper and a magazine - did not need to speak.
CA comes around distributing immigration entry forms. I picked out the US Customs - did not speak.

Plane takes off.
I did not speak to anyone for the next 30 minutes.
CAs come around with hot towels - I did not need to speak.
CAs come around with champagne. I took a glass - did not need to speak.
CAs passed out menus - I did not need to speak

CA: Which meal would you like? (she spoke English by now but she was holding up the menu so it was immaterial what language she used - a passenger could clearly understand the context of her question)
Me: Japanese. And the sake please.

And that was it, the total sum of all conversation, until I deplaned (I did not eat breakfast) and said "Thank you". Summary of my total conversational output:
1) Hi
2) Japanese. And the sake please
3) Thank you.

And a whole lot of smiles and nods from both sides in between.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:15 am

You only said thank you once during the whole flight?
Old Jul 7, 2007, 4:15 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by mcg1000
You only said thank you once during the whole flight?
The only audible thank you was at the end (my bad). The rest of the time, well, you know how an enka singer mouthes an arigatowith an exaggerated, eyes-closed nod exactly 4 seconds into a song? It was like that

Off topic, one of the movies they were showing Baburu e Go was perhaps one of the most hilarious Japanese comedies I've seen in a while. Definitely brought back memories of the late 80s. Ryoko Hirosue has great comedic timing.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by yeunganson
I don't speak Japanese well. I am Chinese-Canadian. Everytime I fly with ANA flying out from Japan, they speak to me in Japanese first. Stereotype is stereotype. Resistance is futile. I am sure Japanese people flying Cathay Pacific would get asked in Cantonese....

The point is this. The stereotype is pretty much alive and I got use to accepting how it would be. If you are white, they assume you speak only English. You look East Asian on a Japanese airline, they assume you speak Japanese. You look East Asian and can afford a ticket on a Hong Kong airline, they assume you speak Cantonese.
Oh, that is sooo true. I am Chinese-American, with some years of Japanese language training (took in university). I also lived in Hong Kong for about 5 years. Heck, if I'm on a train/plane in Japan, I get addressed in Japanese first. If I can answer in Japanese, I will, otherwise, I'll tell them.

Now when I was living and flying out of HKG, when I flew business class (of any airline) - and checked in at the counter there, the agents would address me in English, and this includes CX and KA. If I flew Y (usually on holiday, as it's on my $$), more often than not, the counter agents would address me in Cantonese. Kind of a class distinction, perhaps?

Flying the Taiwanese carriers like CI and BR or the PRC airlines such as CA or MU, the FAs will address me in Mandarin, and I'll answer back accordingly.

Last edited by silverkris168; Jul 7, 2007 at 8:53 pm
Old Jul 9, 2007, 9:37 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I'm a JAL flyer, but I hope y'all won't mind if I post here anyway.

When addressed in English, I answer in English. If I have a question or something to say to the FA, I always use Japanese. If, however, I have a Japanese seatmate, I only use English. If my seatmate finds out I speak Japanese, s/he is more likely to try to strike up a conversation with me, and I am not chatty on planes.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I'm not sure it is the best example and I will be referring to Chinese, but when I fly within Asia, I have some interesting combos:

I am usually flying on OW as i am AA Platinum, but have flown other carriers (such as EL). My Chinese is definitely not native quality, but good enough even in business situations.

As I am an American with a Chinese name, I have had the following happen:

1. Flying EG (Japan Asia Airways), initial addressing at my seat (not the door) in Chinese. Usually speak in Chinese as the number of non-Chinese and non-Japanese speakers on such a route is not that many.

2. Flying JL, always addressed in English, even when flying HND-GMP. It was obvious they looked at my name prior to boarding to determine how to greet me.

3. Flying BR, mixed inital language use. I usually speak Chinese flying BR.

What I found interesting was when I am in Japan, whether I am addressed in Japan is heavily dependent on what I wear. If i look like a tourist, the English/Chinese comes out If it is a workday and I look the part, out comes the Japanese greetings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.