Search

Low Cost Carriers in Japan

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2007, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA
Low Cost Carriers in Japan

Hi,

Can anyone recommend decent low cost carriers for domestic routes in Japan (incl between the various islands)?

Thanks,

JAO
Old May 6, 2007, 10:06 am

Programs: SQ silver, NH, TG
Originally Posted by JeremyAO
Hi,

Can anyone recommend decent low cost carriers for domestic routes in Japan (incl between the various islands)?

Thanks,

JAO
Low cost is not popular in Japan and flights are very limited
It only exists between Tokyo Haneda and Sapporo, Asahikawa, Manbetsu, Hakodate, Kobe, Fukuoka, Miyazaki, Kitakyushu, Kumamoto, Nagasaki, as far as I know.
Air Do, Skymark, Starflyer, Skynet Asia

Last edited by JackR; May 6, 2007 at 10:13 am Reason: add destinations
Old May 6, 2007, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA
Have they got a poor reputation/high prices? I'm trying to work out whether I need to buy the JRail pass when I go over.

Thanks,

JAO
Old May 6, 2007, 12:12 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
If you're gonna be going to destinations accessible via Japans Shinkansen network then the JR Rail Pass is infinitely worth it.

Cost of Rail pass for 7 days = Slightly below rack rate for a single Tokyo -> Osaka return.

Therefore it's a no brainer.

If you're travelling to somewhere like NGS and you're on a *A carrier you can buy coupons giving you a one way flight for about $100 a flight. You can buy up to 5 coupons IIRC.

As for low cost carriers forget about it. JAL and ANA pretty much have a strangle hold on the market.

-mrploddy
Old May 6, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
It really depends on where you're going. You only need to fly if you're visiting destinations outside the Shinkansen network. That would include anywhere in Hokkaido, the smaller peripheral islands like Okinawa, as well as a few major cities like Kagoshima.

That said, you're only going to find LCCs on a handful of routes. Skymark is probably the most useful to a tourist because it flies HND-CTS, HND-OKA and HND-UKB (somewhat convenient to Kyoto and Nara). Air Do is also good for reaching Hokkaido, as it flies HND-CTS and HND-HKD (I think). However, if you can get the *A flight coupons, they are a much better deal. Even the LCCs will usually not give you a better fare than 10,000 yen each way.

If you're going from Tokyo to Kyoto and/or Nagoya, you'll definitely want a rail pass. There is no air service at all between Tokyo and Nagoya (save a couple of unusable feeder flights between NGO and NRT) and Kyoto is quite far from any of the closest airports (ITM, KIX and UKB).

Shinkansen is much better than flying, at least on the routes where it is available... the stations are right in the middle of the city, there's no check-in time, and it's much more spacious.
Old May 7, 2007, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA, NW
There's no reason to fly to most destinations within Japan.

The exception is if you're going to Okinawa or other islands that have no rail connections. I'd even take the train to Hokkaido, because it's Shinkansen most of the way, and the scenery is pleasant, besides which Sapporo isn't very far north on the island.

The poster above is correct. Kyoto does not have its own airport, so that means flying into either KIX, which is about an hour out of Kyoto by express train, or Itami, which requires a couple of train transfers to get to Kyoto. The Shinkansen gives you a pleasant ride city center to city center.
Old May 14, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Plataimond, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH, OneWorld Boarding Group 5
My two cents on this:

Skymark is dirt cheap if you reserve far enough in advance. Their full price tickets start creeping into ANA/JAL territory. They have no cabin service, so buy a box lunch at the airport. Their 'Cygnus Class' seats are spacious, but also have no service (you just get to sit up front).

I advise flying to Hokkaido if you can get a decent price (below 20000 yen one-way) and do not have a rail pass. I love the railways in Japan, but from Tokyo you'll have to spend about 3 hours on the Shinkansen "Hayate" to Hachinohe, transfer to a 3-hour limited express ride to Hakodate , then transfer again for your last three hours to Sapporo. This is a long haul, but you do get to see some nice country and travel through the Seikan Tunnel. I used the overnight train "Hokutosei" once to get to Sapporo, and that's a fun experience if you're willing to shell out the yen (about 28000).

Eventually the Hokkaido Shinkansen will be finished (2012 or so) and will speed up access to Hakodate and Sapporo (though it will end at Hakodate until the line is actually funded to Sapporo). Hopefully this will start to put an end to the fun ANA and JAL have been having raking in upwards of 30,000 yen per ticket to Chitose and Hakodate.

Sorry for all the rambling. I've traveled between Tokyo and Hokkaido plenty of times and have figured out that the only really cheap way to do it is buy a rail pass or start walking and bring swim trunks.
Old May 15, 2007, 1:36 am

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ksandness

The exception is if you're going to Okinawa or other islands that have no rail connections. I'd even take the train to Hokkaido, because it's Shinkansen most of the way.
The Shinkansen only goes as far as Hachinohe and takes three hours just for that. Hachinohe-Sapporo on normal gauge just to Hakodate (tip of Hokkaido) takes another three hours. Hakodate-Sapporo is a further three hours. Sure you wouldn't rather spend 90 minutes on a plane?
Old May 15, 2007, 7:21 am

Programs: UA, NW
Since I don't travel *within* Japan for business, I'd rather enjoy the scenery and the experience, largely unavailable in the States, of riding comfortable, dependable trains.

If I had a business meeting in Sapporo, yes, flying would make more sense. But if I were a tourist, especially one who wanted to see "the real Japan," the train would be the way to go. It would give you nine hours of "real Japan," including rural areas, relatively undeveloped areas, and smaller cities.
Old May 15, 2007, 7:28 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by ksandness
Except for miles, lounge access, upgrades, etc.

(And you call yourself a Flyertalker??)
Old May 15, 2007, 10:55 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Except for miles, lounge access, upgrades, etc.

(And you call yourself a Flyertalker??)
Aren't all ANA domestic services economy only?
Hence only miles and lounge access (lounge access consisting mainly of a small drinks bar and wifi).
Old May 15, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: NH Super Flyer (*G), Eurostar Carte Blanche, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Accor ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jbfield
Aren't all ANA domestic services economy only?
Definitely not! See here.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
However, if you can get the *A flight coupons, they are a much better deal. Even the LCCs will usually not give you a better fare than 10,000 yen each way.
Actually, this can be an interesting option to supplement the rail pass, especially when going to OKA...

I believe each coupon costs Y11,000 + taxes & fees. Any idea on how much the inclusive fare would be, assuming TYO or OSA to OKA?
Old Aug 19, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
nope

the rail pass is the cheapest as you have to go from/to the airport...

so lets say you arrive in NRT, well bummer you have to pay 3000yen for the narita express to visit tokyo.

than you pay another 3000 to get back to NRT .

than you fly to OSA and again you have to pay for the express 2800yen..

so thats already 6000 in NRT and 5600 Yen in OSA for the return airport trip.

so for each airport you visit you can add around 6000yen return trip airport transfer.

of course you could take the cheaper train which takes 100minutes in tokyo or other options but thats just not convinient.

the railpass includes the JR NEX and airport expresses so you will save a lot money with the railpass.

cheers dp
Old Aug 20, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just come back from my second trip to Japan in 1 year, great place and definitely get the train. Once you consider travelling and paying to get to the airport, the checkin times and delay tha you experience. The Shinkansen will whisk you between cities for a phenomenal price. Your looking at around $250 for a seven day pass and worth every penny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.