Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Only one meal is provided for night international flight

Old Jan 31, 2023, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone know since when does ANA only provide one meal for night international flight or is it always been that way?
I took ANA from SFO to HND last month departing at late night and was lookin forward eating their Japanese meal until I finally realized they only provide breakfast before arrival. (although instead, you could order from a list of small items if you are hungry or just want to eat something). That was something new to me. I think most of other airlines like EVA, China airlines etc still provide two meals regardless your departure time. Wonder if ANA does this way to save cost? The same for my returning flight from Japan as well.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 11:16 pm

Perhaps they have found many (most?) people do not want to eat late at night.... and the meals were largely getting wasted. A cost saving yes, sure... but perhaps with some logic behind it. Abbreviated meal services even in First are pretty widespread on late departures....it doesn't seem that unusual to me...
moondog, Mama, irishguy28 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kkk2541
Does anyone know since when does ANA only provide one meal for night international flight or is it always been that way?
I took ANA from SFO to HND last month departing at late night and was lookin forward eating their Japanese meal until I finally realized they only provide breakfast before arrival. (although instead, you could order from a list of small items if you are hungry or just want to eat something). That was something new to me. I think most of other airlines like EVA, China airlines etc still provide two meals regardless your departure time. Wonder if ANA does this way to save cost? The same for my returning flight from Japan as well.
It has been like that for ages. The cut off seems to be around 10pm.
kkk2541 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:11 am
Suspended

Most people don't eat full meals late at night right before they go to bed in their normal daily lives. Plus, people can eat in the lounges before the flight. So I think their "food item by order only" anytime menu approach makes sense.
But, of course I understand some people don't want to sleep when they sit in first/business class cabin and want to stay awake and enjoy every minute of their precious premium cabin pleasure, which probably happens only once in the lifetime.
To OP, welcome to Flyertalk, I see this is your first post. Both EVA and CI are based from Taiwan, not Japanese carriers, they don't have direct flight from SFO to HND. I am not sure they are a good point of reference for your comparison. Perhaps you are just more familiar with these two airlines.
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by Mama; Feb 1, 2023 at 7:28 am
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The ANA flight is scheduled to depart at 00:20. If they were to provide a full meal service to all pax, some people might not be getting their meal until 01:30-02:00 SFO time, and the cabin might not have been dimmed until 02:30 or later.

I doubt there are many people on board who want to be kept awake for the meal, or by the racket of the food service around them.

Now, if you deliberately held off eating your evening meal just so you could have a "meal" on board the flight at 1am, then you would definitely be in trouble....but I don't think many passengers would have skipped dinner for the prospect of a midnight feast in the air!

Originally Posted by kkk2541
The same for my returning flight from Japan as well.
Perhaps the daily NRT flight might have been a better choice; it departs at 17:00 and therefore you would rightly have an expectation of a "proper" meal service shortly after departure.
Mama likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:51 am

They still provide on demand dining on J and F class right?
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:42 am

Pre-COVID, they provided a light dinner for the late night flights out of LAX, followed by a full breakfast before arrival, even in economy. The SFO flight is slightly shorter, but not by much.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, MM, DGAEZ
Originally Posted by mccx
They still provide on demand dining on J and F class right?
actually no.
at least since 2015 there has never been a late service for food. I have been flying several Times lax-hnd in F. There Was NOTHING.
Well, yes I knew before so I had dinner at the first lounge.
cczzll likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
In fairness to the OP, most Asian carriers do offer a more substantial meal followed by breakfast on comparable flights. Then again, JL is the most relevant competitor here, and they have similarly slim offerings on late-night departures.

Also, the lounge situation for NH107 is particularly dire.
*Due to reduced lounge hours, we will offer an online meal voucher for NH107 flight customers with lounge eligibility via your registered email or SMS. The meal voucher can be used at the cafe in the SFO terminal.
royng likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 1:59 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I'm flying Premium Economy on ANA in May. I was debating buying up to business until I read this thread. LAX-HND leaves at 1:20am so I think I'll easily be able to have a beer or two and fall asleep for 8 hours. Might be the first time I arrive in Japan without too much jetlag! Hopefully a decent breakfast before arrival that will keep me going until I get my JR pass, an Ekiben and jump on a long train ride!
Old Feb 1, 2023, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
actually no.
at least since 2015 there has never been a late service for food. I have been flying several Times lax-hnd in F. There Was NOTHING.
wow, I didn't know that. I never flew J or F on ANA (but will be later this year for the first time). I've flew on JAL a few times and they had on demand dining even during the pandemic.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 4:44 pm

If my math is right, 1:00 a.m. SFO time is 6:00 p.m. HND time. The best way to beat jetlag is to adjust to the new time zone as soon as possible in the flight. So it would make sense to want to eat on departure even though it's late based on origin. Note: I've never far into the far East, but I've flown TLV to East Coast many times which seems like similar timing.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dblumenhoff
If my math is right, 1:00 a.m. SFO time is 6:00 p.m. HND time. The best way to beat jetlag is to adjust to the new time zone as soon as possible in the flight. So it would make sense to want to eat on departure even though it's late based on origin. Note: I've never far into the far East, but I've flown TLV to East Coast many times which seems like similar timing.
That's why you should get as much sleep as possible on the plane, because you will be arriving in HND in the early morning. I don't know about you, but I think most people don't consume big meals before going to seep.
Again, I understand some people have the need to enjoy every minute of their precious premium cabin pleasure, so choose not to sleep, especially the mileage award ticket flyers in the premium cabin, who just want to get their mileage worth as much as possible because this is probably the once in a life time event for them. They are the minority in the cabin though. (yet most threads in this ANA forum are about ANA award tickets). I don't think airlines will tailor to their needs.
irishguy28 likes this.

Last edited by Mama; Feb 2, 2023 at 3:21 pm
Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Onewhoknows
actually no.
My lax-nrt redeye in fall 2021 had plenty of dine in demand options.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 6:51 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
The main meals are not dine on demand and never have been (as of 2017). The light refreshments of single plate/bowl sandwiches, curry, ramen have always been on demand, even during pandemic.
roberto99 and aquanine like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.