70k miles expiring soon. Any idea what to do?

Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

70k miles expiring soon. Any idea what to do?

I have 70k points in account expiring March. It seem like booking a business or first class to Asia is nearly impossible. (I can transfer more miles from my AMEX) but I just don’t want to transfer over more miles until I know for sure I can use them.

my schedule can be flexible. I have looked for seats that were newly released 11 month ahead, no luck finding any. I need two tickets.

LAX - Tokyo
or
LAX - PVG

Gathering from what I read getting 2 seats from waitlist is pretty impossible?

Since I need to book round trip tickets. I have to find a seat for the return trip first if I’m looking at newly release tickets?

any suggestions on how can I not waste the 70k miles?

We moved from SPG to Amex MR few years ago when SPG was bought by Marriott. Husband said Ana was supposed to be easy to book and with lower redemptions. Then covid happened, we couldn’t go anywhere. When I finally start looking into traveling again, I realized Ana is extremely difficult. Now we have so much MR points, not sure what to do with it.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:33 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred
Originally Posted by babielovah
I have 70k points in account expiring March. It seem like booking a business or first class to Asia is nearly impossible. (I can transfer more miles from my AMEX) but I just don’t want to transfer over more miles until I know for sure I can use them.

my schedule can be flexible. I have looked for seats that were newly released 11 month ahead, no luck finding any. I need two tickets.

LAX - Tokyo
or
LAX - PVG

Gathering from what I read getting 2 seats from waitlist is pretty impossible?

Since I need to book round trip tickets. I have to find a seat for the return trip first if I’m looking at newly release tickets?

any suggestions on how can I not waste the 70k miles?

We moved from SPG to Amex MR few years ago when SPG was bought by Marriott. Husband said Ana was supposed to be easy to book and with lower redemptions. Then covid happened, we couldn’t go anywhere. When I finally start looking into traveling again, I realized Ana is extremely difficult. Now we have so much MR points, not sure what to do with it.

Thank you in advance for any help!
you can use them for a hotel:
https://www.anaworldhotel.com/
Old Jan 3, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA, Hyatt
There is another option to change to Amazon gift card, if there is no ideal flight.
Old Jan 5, 2023, 12:09 pm

You can try register a mileage expiration date extension if you haven’t done that. It allows you to extend to 03/31/2023.
babielovah likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2023, 1:17 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mightyzion
You can try register a mileage expiration date extension if you haven’t done that. It allows you to extend to 03/31/2023.
How?
Old Jan 27, 2023, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by kittiyut
How?
Follow this link. https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/amc/cpn/...EMM220373mif_2
Old Jan 27, 2023, 5:42 pm

Is it possible to use it to the trip to Europe
Old Jan 28, 2023, 4:16 pm

change to Amazon gift card
Old Jan 31, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
When your ticket is cancelled or significantly changed involuntarily (by the airline instead of yourself), ANA refunds the ticket and resets the expiration of the miles. This happened to me when the TYO-HKG segment of my award flight was cancelled during the pandemic, which revived my miles for three more years.
Although much of the world doesn't take the pandemic that seriously now, I'm sure you can look somewhere to find flight routes that are "fragile". United tends to adjust their schedule 3-4 months prior, which may cause you to miss a tight connection in your dozen of flight segments. Just saying (*wink*)...
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by smith80678
you can use them for a hotel:
https://www.anaworldhotel.com/
I had hoped this existed! And it does. Although poor value, it’s a backup plan. My dummy bookings clocked in at around 12k points for $100.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:34 am

I thought I read something earlier today about ANA extending expiration dates. I can't locate the post (might have been reddit) but found this when googling:

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/amc/cpn/...-skycoin20-11/

If this is accurate, it might delay OP's expiration problem for at least another year.
Stgermainparis and babielovah like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Chemystery
I thought I read something earlier today about ANA extending expiration dates. I can't locate the post (might have been reddit) but found this when googling:

If this is accurate, it might delay OP's expiration problem for at least another year.
Woot!!
Chemystery likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:34 pm

Now ANA offers extending the mileage expiration date for another year. Register to extend up to 03/31/2024.
babielovah likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Echi
There is another option to change to Amazon gift card, if there is no ideal flight.
how do I do that? Thank you!
Old Feb 3, 2023, 4:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chemystery

Now ANA offers extending the mileage expiration date for another year. Register to extend up to 03/31/2024.
thank you guys!
Chemystery likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.