Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Collect checked luggage in transit at HND?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2022, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Collect checked luggage in transit at HND?

I have an ANA flight JFK-HND, followed by a 16h15m layover, followed by another flight HND-CGK - on separate tickets (booked with partner miles).

I’ve been advised here by helpful people that it is no problem to through-check, with both flights being with ANA despite separate tickets.

Just thought I’d double check with ANA this was ok and they have advised me that because my layover is over 12 hours, I’ll need to collect my luggage at HND - in the transit area - and re-check it for the next flight.

Does anyone have experience with this? I never even knew that was possible to do in-transit, without entering the country (which they assured me I would NOT be doing) thanks for any advice!!

Edit: I was advised it was possible to collect baggage whilst remaining airside - just to be clear!?

Last edited by Tofino87; Jun 17, 2022 at 9:57 am
Old Jun 17, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Tofino87
I have an ANA flight JFK-HND, followed by a 16h15m layover, followed by another flight HND-CGK - on separate tickets (booked with partner miles).

I’ve been advised here by helpful people that it is no problem to through-check, with both flights being with ANA despite separate tickets.

Just thought I’d double check with ANA this was ok and they have advised me that because my layover is over 12 hours, I’ll need to collect my luggage at HND - in the transit area - and re-check it for the next flight.

Does anyone have experience with this? I never even knew that was possible to do in-transit, without entering the country (which they assured me I would NOT be doing) thanks for any advice!!

Edit: I was advised it was possible to collect baggage whilst remaining airside - just to be clear!?
Normally, 24 hours is the cut-off for when you no longer can check luggage through.

It is not possible to collect luggage while remaining airside.

I guess you are talking to the newly hired interns?
Old Jun 17, 2022, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I don’t know what came over me, I clearly haven’t been thinking straight for a while…!

My second flight from HND-CGK got cancelled, and they moved me to the flight the following morning. ‘No problem’ I thought, without realising what a problem it would be!

A second agent said it was unlikely that luggage could be checked through, with there being 2 separate tickets. And that they wouldn’t know until the day if it would be possible - if not, I would have to leave the luggage at JFK!

There were no other flights that would work for me in F or J, or so I thought….. by some miracle, call it destiny if you will, I managed to speak to a 3rd agent and score the exact flight I would need out of LAX instead, which will allow me to make my connection! Yes it is a pain getting to LAX and I got charged a tonne more in surcharges… but it keeps the trip alive!

The 3rd agent also seemed to think it WOULD be possible to check the luggage through - given that my new flight time and connection time are much shorter - which allows me to checkin for both flights at LAX and get boarding passes.
Old Jun 17, 2022, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
ANA normally has zero issues checking luggage through between ANA flights on separate issues, nor to other Star Alliance carriers. I am surprised that they would say maybe, it would be either a yes or a no.

​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.