Wiki Posts
Search

ANA Award Booking On UA Partially Cancelled

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2022, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH, *G
ANA Award Booking On UA Partially Cancelled

I suppose I'm going to have a fun call with ANA in the next day or so...any recommendations about things to watch out for?

Next month, I'm supposed to be heading to Maldives. I booked using ANA miles, and the best flights ended up being a combo of UA and SQ. We do have a 5 day stopover before heading to Male.
We had UA1 (6/12) to SIN, then SQ432 to MLE (6/19), SQ437 to SIN (6/29) and finally UA2 to SFO on 6/30.

I booked economy (X fare), and now I definitely should have spent the extra points to do this all on SQ. Oh well.

The trouble I see is that it seems like the alternate routes all have Waitlists at this point.
Do CSRs have a way to bypass the waitlist in the case of rebookings?
It also seems like SQ31/32 have waitlist space, but is there any way to book these? ANA thinks it's premium economy (which it is), even though the SingaporeAir site classifies it as regular economy.
Also, if there's most availability, would they be able to change any of the flights to leave a few days earlier or later? Luckily there's some flexibility for our stay in Singapore, and I don't mind adding on time at the end...but rebooking the hotels seems complicated!
Old May 20, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: UA
Which flights were canceled? It sounds like your starting point is SFO?
Old May 20, 2022, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by angetenar
Which flights were canceled? It sounds like your starting point is SFO?
ah sorry that wasn’t clear. SFO-SIN (UA1) and SIN-SFO (UA2) both got cancelled.
UA2 was cancelled about two days ago and that didn’t worry me as much but now this seems rather precarious.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:06 pm

Can you fly ANA SFO-NRT/HND-SIN and vice versa on the return? ANA should be able to open award availability on their own flights.
Old May 20, 2022, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

That would work - does it matter that only waitlist spots show on their site?

to be honest, the idea of breaking up a long flight in economy isn’t so bad either.
Old May 20, 2022, 2:08 pm

Hopefully it shouldn't matter for you because you were affected by a flight cancellation and are not making a new booking.
Old May 23, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: ANA Super Flyers, JAL Global Club
Originally Posted by mball
I suppose I'm going to have a fun call with ANA in the next day or so...any recommendations about things to watch out for?

Next month, I'm supposed to be heading to Maldives. I booked using ANA miles, and the best flights ended up being a combo of UA and SQ. We do have a 5 day stopover before heading to Male.
We had UA1 (6/12) to SIN, then SQ432 to MLE (6/19), SQ437 to SIN (6/29) and finally UA2 to SFO on 6/30.

I booked economy (X fare), and now I definitely should have spent the extra points to do this all on SQ. Oh well.

The trouble I see is that it seems like the alternate routes all have Waitlists at this point.
Do CSRs have a way to bypass the waitlist in the case of rebookings?
It also seems like SQ31/32 have waitlist space, but is there any way to book these? ANA thinks it's premium economy (which it is), even though the SingaporeAir site classifies it as regular economy.
Also, if there's most availability, would they be able to change any of the flights to leave a few days earlier or later? Luckily there's some flexibility for our stay in Singapore, and I don't mind adding on time at the end...but rebooking the hotels seems complicated!
Did you book this award before June 15, 2020?
Or is it somehow possible to book award flights with SQ using ANA miles at the moment?
Old May 24, 2022, 1:41 am
Original Poster

I think I originally booked in Feb of this year, maybe early March. I simply used the multi-city booking tool, and put in SFO-SIN, SIN-MLE, MLE-SFO and it was showing loads of star alliance flights.
I'm a little confused because I can't seem to directly book SFO-SIN on NH then SQ individually, but it seems like if the initial leg includes either UA or SQ then I can make the booking. Only economy fares seemed to work, but perhaps J might have as well.

I haven't had a chance to call them yet, so hopefully this won't pose too much of a problem. :/
Old May 29, 2022, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Finally got a hold of someone, but it took a few tries... So I guess I get put on the waitlist for an ANA flight like everyone else. Given everything going on this summer, that seems like a poor bet.
Old May 31, 2022, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by mball
Finally got a hold of someone, but it took a few tries... So I guess I get put on the waitlist for an ANA flight like everyone else. Given everything going on this summer, that seems like a poor bet.
All the best for you. Keep checking websites as if you were buying these tickets. Sometimes they tell you if there are fewer than 9 seats left.
Old May 31, 2022, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

They actually called me back later. Got rebooked on UA1 on 6/11 and UA2 on 7/1. That means two more hotel nights, but it's an acceptable tradeoff. (Will use the extra day to visit Kuala Lumpur for a night.)

...still...I'm gonna be a little bit nervous until I walk onto the plane given everything else going on right now.
RK23 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.