Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

International Transit in NRT. Stopover Less than 2 hours. Should I be conerned?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2022, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

I purchased a single ticket from HKG to SFO through ANA. Stopover in NRT for 1 hr 50 min. Should I be concerned if there is flight delay? If my first flight is late, say by 2 hours, would the NRT->SFO flight wait for me?

These days, what would happen to me if I am unable to make the 2nd half connection due to flight schedule? I don't think I have the requirements needed to enter Japan.
Old May 2, 2022, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kash
I purchased a single ticket from HKG to SFO through ANA. Stopover in NRT for 1 hr 50 min. Should I be concerned if there is flight delay? If my first flight is late, say by 2 hours, would the NRT->SFO flight wait for me?

These days, what would happen to me if I am unable to make the 2nd half connection due to flight schedule? I don't think I have the requirements needed to enter Japan.
I would not worry greatly, they tend to wait, as it is a bit of a drag to have passengers miss connecting in Narita these days. They can get you from flight to flight pretty quickly if needed.
kash likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:23 am
Original Poster

I hope so. Since this is a single itinerary. I suppose everything just take place in transit terminal. But base on my experience with NRT years ago, I need to go through security check again. As I remember I need to throw away the water I got from previous airport
Old May 2, 2022, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by kash
I hope so. Since this is a single itinerary. I suppose everything just take place in transit terminal. But base on my experience with NRT years ago, I need to go through security check again. As I remember I need to throw away the water I got from previous airport
Yes, you have to go through security in Narita, and yes water bottles need to be empty to go through. But there are fountains to refill them airside. Transit security is normally pretty quick, so not a problem for that length of a connection.
Old May 2, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: United MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold,
What if I am on separate PNRs? BKK-NRT-LAX, ANA-United with a two hour layover? Both in Terminal 1. If I can solve the luggage transfer, of course.
Old May 6, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
I had a 45 minute layover 2 weeks ago, LAX-NRT-MNL and upon landing, only those with short connections were allowed to de-plane...we also did not pass security as we deplaned where the boarding gate was and not transit level. In any case, the flight to Manila was also delayed for 30mins to accommodate the transfers.
Old May 6, 2022, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapuLapu
I had a 45 minute layover 2 weeks ago, LAX-NRT-MNL and upon landing, only those with short connections were allowed to de-plane...we also did not pass security as we deplaned where the boarding gate was and not transit level. In any case, the flight to Manila was also delayed for 30mins to accommodate the transfers.
The "no transit security" flow is only for arrivals from the US. But it is the standard flow, it was not due to the delays.
Old May 19, 2022, 10:34 am

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a KUL-NRT-YVR flight with return coming up early June. I booked without actually checking to see if there's any covid testing requirements for transiting passengers, but from this thread it seems like transiting passengers don't need to do a test?

Can someone help me to confirm?
Old May 19, 2022, 11:41 am

From the ANA website:

Information as of 16:00JST,April 22th,2022.

//// Customers Connecting in Japan between International Flights ////

Travelers who are not entering Japan and transferring directly to a third country by transit, are not required to submit any documents and undergo inspections in Japan. Nonetheless, travelers are still subject to the travel/entry restrictions and requirements of their final destination.

However, the following cases require entry into Japan. Please be informed that foreign nationals arriving from prohibited countries will not be allowed to enter Japan.

● Transferring between Tokyo International Airport (Haneda Airport) and Narita International Airport

● Travelers with a connecting flight out of Narita International Airport the following day

//// Customers Connecting in Japan from an International Flight to a Domestic Flight ////

On your arrival date, quarantine procedures and other post-arrival procedures may take some time to complete, and you may have to wait a while to receive the appropriate guidance. In this instance, you may not be able to board your reserved connecting flight if you have one. We kindly request that you leave sufficient leeway when reserving a connecting flight.

Old May 19, 2022, 9:34 pm

Location: Vancouver, Manila, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong
Programs: CX-DM, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Premier
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
From the ANA website:
Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Sharing my experience with Transit in Narita.

My flight is scheduled to have a 1 hr 50 min layover. It arrived early but due to a medical reason, passenger unloading is delayed for 30 min. I still have about 1 hr 30 min to board my next flight. However, there is a long walk (at least 1 km) to the transit terminal. And near the end is another security check point which EVERY passenger must go through (however, there is priority line for business class+). Japan has its own standard of what is allowed and what is not. I have to dump my liquid again (if it is over 100 ml). They also spend quite a bit of time looking for my power bank. So it makes going through security very slow. In the end, I made it through security after about 40 mins. Leaving me with 50 min before boarding.

At this point, there is not much one can do. Layover time is usually determined by airline and there is usually only 1 option for connecting flight. I overheard that there is no flight in the morning leaving Japan. I am not sure what happens to passenger who missed their flight due to delays during transit.

On the other hand, as far as I see, there is only 1 shop that is open (mid day) and it sells specialty clothing. So don't expect to pass time inside the transit terminal. Only other place to spend money is with automatic vending machines.

My advice: Always buy your ticket as a single itinerary, strongly recommend with the same airline (i.e. JAL / ANA) so the airline is somewhat aware that you will be stuck if you didn't board the plane. Also, go to the bathroom before you get off the plane so you can get in line early.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:51 am

I'm transferring in NRT 2 hr connection YVR-NRT-ICN. I don't plan on getting my 3rd shot to be admissible to Japan, but if I miss my connection, what are the likely consequences?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Vaccines don’t matter for entering Japan from Canada, as Canada is designated as a “blue” country. That aside it doesn’t sound like you have Japanese citizenship or residence so you won’t be entering Japan.

If you’re on the same ticket they’ll either hold the second flight for you or if keep you in some random room at the airport with all of the other passengers guarded by security until the next flight to ICN in the day.

If you’re on separate tickets the airline may be forced to send you back to Canada.

The above are all from anecdotes.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Only ANA
Vaccines don’t matter for entering Japan from Canada, as Canada is designated as a “blue” country. That aside it doesn’t sound like you have Japanese citizenship or residence so you won’t be entering Japan.

If you’re on the same ticket they’ll either hold the second flight for you or if keep you in some random room at the airport with all of the other passengers guarded by security until the next flight to ICN in the day.

If you’re on separate tickets the airline may be forced to send you back to Canada.

The above are all from anecdotes.
Same PNR - thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2022, 12:59 pm

A bit back in this thread there was a question about testing but I remain confused. We will be transiting NRT on a PER to YVR itinerary. Sounds horrible at the moment.
I believe we will need a negative test in Perth in order to board and not the simple Antigen test. Is this correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.