Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA waitlisted awards?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2021, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

ANA waitlisted awards?

If I book a waitlisted award, I need to already have the miles in my account correct? If the waitlist clears does ANA automatically ticket it, or do they verify with the customer first? Also is there a time frame that waitlist awards clear or do not clear?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC Sapphire, Asiana Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Waitlisted rewards are automatically ticketed. I think there is automatic cancellation, a week or so before the flight. I don’t remember the actual duration.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyboygoon
Waitlisted rewards are automatically ticketed. I think there is automatic cancellation, a week or so before the flight. I don’t remember the actual duration.
Can one cancel a waitlist before it is ticketed?
Old Sep 27, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, JAL JGC Sapphire, Asiana Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Yes, and there’s no charge
Old Oct 2, 2021, 5:13 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP: Please be aware that being waitlisted does NOT mean that you will clear the waitlist. Some people wrongly assume that all requests are eventually approved.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Do you mean by this that they are initially ticketed as if they are confirmed in Business Class, and then the passenger needs to wait until a week or so before the flight to find out whether this is taken away?
Bttc likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWgary
Do you mean by this that they are initially ticketed as if they are confirmed in Business Class, and then the passenger needs to wait until a week or so before the flight to find out whether this is taken away?
I think he is saying that if the waitlist clears it will automatically be ticketed without any additional action on the customers part, and if the waitlisted ticket doesn't clear it will automatically be canceled.
YOWgary likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2021, 1:27 pm

Thanks for clarifying that!

Also, just another point to consider is that waitlists are prioritised also by status (not sure if this is noted anywhere, but anecdotally I have gotten off the waitlist as an ANA Diamond over friends that waitlisted the same award flight weeks earlier than me with lower status).
bizum likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by diverg
I think he is saying that if the waitlist clears it will automatically be ticketed without any additional action on the customers part, and if the waitlisted ticket doesn't clear it will automatically be canceled.
The reason I ask is that I'm seeing an ongoing but inconsistent issue where the search engine will show an ANA-metal flight as "waitlisted", but then a phone agent will list the flight as being immediately confirmable.

I've seen one booking already confirmed for SFO-NRT in this way, and a second booking showed this possible on Monday, but by the time I'd moved MR over to make the booking, it was back to "waitlist only".

No apparent rhyme or reason to which ones are confirmable or not.
bizum likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary
The reason I ask is that I'm seeing an ongoing but inconsistent issue where the search engine will show an ANA-metal flight as "waitlisted", but then a phone agent will list the flight as being immediately confirmable.

I've seen one booking already confirmed for SFO-NRT in this way, and a second booking showed this possible on Monday, but by the time I'd moved MR over to make the booking, it was back to "waitlist only".

No apparent rhyme or reason to which ones are confirmable or not.
Just curious if you were able to eventually get a confirmed seat?
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by bizum
Just curious if you were able to eventually get a confirmed seat?
Flight isn't for a few months.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:59 am

I'm going to waitlist a seat to HND and have a confirmed ticket onward on NH from HND. So two separate tickets.

Thoughts about calling NH and asking them to open a seat on the first flight because it's the only way I can take the second flight?

I don't know if they send it over to revenue management like some other airlines or it's just a flat no.
Old Feb 18, 2022, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I'm going to waitlist a seat to HND and have a confirmed ticket onward on NH from HND. So two separate tickets.

Thoughts about calling NH and asking them to open a seat on the first flight because it's the only way I can take the second flight?

I don't know if they send it over to revenue management like some other airlines or it's just a flat no.
My vote goes for a reply of "Computer says no"

But what's the worst that can happen, the hold time I guess....
Old Feb 20, 2022, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
My vote goes for a reply of "Computer says no"

But what's the worst that can happen, the hold time I guess....
Well, I called and they said they would send a "push" through. But they didn't care that I had an onward confirm ticket on their metal because I used VX miles and not NH miles.

J/C/D/Z/P = 9
There's 5/40 seats assigned in J.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 6:03 pm

Got an e-mail from NH basically saying they hope my wait list clears, but I should have a backup in case.

Unfortunately there is no backup!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.