Wiki Posts
Search

Changing cancelled award flight in F

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2021, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Changing cancelled award flight in F

My award flight for two in F from LAX-HND for October was cancelled. Looking on the ANA website, I could only find *one* award seat in F for the two days prior to our cancelled flight. I called ANA and asked if they could open 1 award seat in F the previous day given the cancellation. As background, there was one seat available on NH5 (12:45 departure to NRT) and one seat available on NH105 (0:50 departure to HND) and I specifically requested NH5 due to the flight times and wanting the nice F meal service.

The agent--whom I had a very difficult time communicating with--said she would check and call me back. She did rather promptly and said that she got two award seats in F on NH 105, which is the flight we *didn't* want. I asked her about the other flight and she said it wasn't possible--even after checking with the "seat department." On one hand, I appreciate they opened up NH 105. OTOH, we're not super excited about using the miles in F for a flight that leaves at 0:50. Any thoughts on if I could do better if I call back? Both flights had one award seat and the fact that they opened up a seat on NH 105, also leads me to think they could open up a seat on NH 5, given the cancellation. (In fact, given the communications issue, I think my request for flight #5 was confused with #105.)

Complete first world problem I realize, but its a special anniversary and want the best I can do. (Actually, the special anniversary award flight in F was cancelled because of covid last year. This is a redo.)
I have limited experience with ANA, so looking for some guidance with this situation. Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
The reason you give for preferring the earlier departure, is probably a reason also shared by most, if not all, of the revenue passengers. In term explaining why ANA is more willing to open additional award seats on NH105.

I doubt the choice was accidental, or a misunderstanding of your request.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriot (via SPG) Lifetime Gold
Well, I certainly appreciate that perspective--and it makes a ton of sense. The agent we spoke with tonight encouraged us to take NH105 and then wait to see if we could get on on our preferred flight when if it opened up later. That seemed unlikely, so we just asked for a refund. Thank you.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 9:06 am

You should be glad they even have one available. My flight in the same time (NH125/126) was through VS miles F class and they just straight up deleted the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.