Search

Transit Through NRT en Route to BKK From NY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP
Transit Through NRT en Route to BKK From NY

Hi everyone,

Have a friend who is trying to get back to Thailand from the East Coast of NY. Currently has a ticket EWR - NRT - BKK on UA and ANA operating the last leg. All is fine with the EWR - NRT leg however, onwards to BKK keeps tripping everything up. Can't make a seat selection and has been canceled and rebooked a few times (forcing the first leg to do the same).

I can see on flight aware history that ANA-8543 seems to be operating however seems un-bookable on GF, ANA's site and Expert Flyer show's it 0 inventory.

Any ideas? The predominant fear is getting to NRT and being told you can transit onwards.

Will gather more info if/when required.

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I believe NH8543 is a cargo flight and not bookable for passenger service. Looking at ANA's site, it looks like there is no passenger service planned for all of August TYO-BKK. See: https://www.anahd.co.jp/en/jp/topics/notice200206/
Old Jul 29, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Not exactly ANA and United, but JAL operates JL5 JFK HND on Saturdays that will connect to JL34 to Bangkok on Sundays. But these days we have to take the flights that we can get..
​​​​
My bad, JL34 is from Bangkok, not to Bangkok.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jul 29, 2020 at 8:46 pm
Old Jul 29, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Currently, only NH850 (from BKK to HND) is operating between BKK and TYO.
There is NO flght from TYO to BKK.
Actually, NH847 is operating from HND to BKK, but no passenger, and not bookable.
For example, you can find those flights at https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ja887a
Old Jul 30, 2020, 2:57 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Transiting in NRT to get to BKK in August will likely be difficult if not impossible and your friend may have a better chance transiting through HND instead.

For ANA, IAD appears to be the first US city for resumption of flights to HND. Currently, it looks like NH101 IAD-HND is scheduled to start August 18 and thereafter operate on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Mondays. Problem is that NRT-BKK and HND-BKK are not operating the month of August.

However, it looks like you can book NH101 IAD-HND departing Monday, August 31 arriving September 1 then connect on a flight that departs just after midnight September 2 - NH849 HND-BKK. That's an 8:45 layover in HND. Your friend will need to get from NYC to IAD to make the NH101 flight which departs IAD at 12:15pm. United should have an early morning EWR departure that makes the connection in IAD possible. Of course, flight schedules all subject to change given the current situation. I too have had several cancellations with NH flights connecting in NRT and HND.

On a mixed UA and NH itinerary, UA shouldn't allow boarding on EWR-NRT sector if NRT-BKK is cancelled or suspended. But SNAFUs can happen. Transit in Japan ok, but cannot leave the airport and the problem is that NRT does not operate 24 hours. I believe, however, that HND International Terminal is open 24 hours.

Only other Star Alliance option I would personally take to BKK from NYC is EVA Airways via TPE. BR is showing JFK-TPE-BKK operating with a departure on Tuesday, September 1. Again, problem is that schedules subject to change as well as Taiwan's rules re transiting in TPE may also change. TPE has stricter transit rules than HND or NRT.

As a separate matter, I hope your friend has docs needed for entry into Thailand. I recall that a few months ago, Thailand required fit-to-fly certificates and other docs from a Thai consulate or embassy, even for Thai citizens. Not sure what the current entry requirements are.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP
Thank you for all the thoughtful responses.

Looks like traveling via Japan in the next month is not an option, might be time to look at travel via Germany.

Have a great week!
Old Jul 30, 2020, 5:37 pm

Thailand is still closed to foreigners and with the USA a viral hotspot the EU has banned Americans from entering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.