New ROOM in Business or Old Style FIRST?

Old May 26, 20, 2:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 157
New ROOM in Business or Old Style FIRST?

I have snatched two one-way award tickets for a trip next year, one from JFK in THE ROOM, and one from IAD in old style the box in FIRST. Which one should I keep?

Have traveled in ANA First in the past and absolutely loved the entire experience. Just loved the quiet luxury and the food.

Which one would YOU pick and why? I'm all ears.
SkyElite is offline  
Old May 26, 20, 3:54 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by SkyElite View Post
I have snatched two one-way award tickets for a trip next year, one from JFK in THE ROOM, and one from IAD in old style the box in FIRST. Which one should I keep?

Have traveled in ANA First in the past and absolutely loved the entire experience. Just loved the quiet luxury and the food.

Which one would YOU pick and why? I'm all ears.
Why not hold out for F from JFK? I've booked 3 in the last week for travel next year.
reggiekush is offline  
Old May 26, 20, 4:19 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 115
I will go with the F over any J. The Room will be very nice. No doubt. But when it comes to soft product, J doesn't compare to F at all. I enjoy their soft product in F A LOT. Quality & quantity of food and drink can't be beat! You could have a whole bottle of Krug for yourself. It that's not enough, how about a whole (small) bottle of Hibiki!!! If what you are interested in is just a seat and a closing door, the Room suites you better and you will get some change in miles in your pocket. Having said so, I haven't tried the Room yet. ANA's J is a great product overall. But their F is far superior.

michaelmorio
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
michaelmorio is offline  
Old May 26, 20, 8:46 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Makati City, Philippines
Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 1,317
Curious as to what dates you booked, as for the month of June, I can not find the new seat configuration on the 777 with "The Room" from Tokyo to JFK, via MNL, only the older set up.
craig44485 is offline  
Old May 27, 20, 5:40 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 151
Definitely First!..the F Kaiseki meal is just divine. Love the attention to details of the FAs on my flight.
Redmax is offline  
Old May 27, 20, 9:08 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tokyo
Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Posts: 2,996
Originally Posted by craig44485 View Post
Curious as to what dates you booked, as for the month of June, I can not find the new seat configuration on the 777 with "The Room" from Tokyo to JFK, via MNL, only the older set up.
2021, not 2020.
craig44485 likes this.
Tokyoite is offline  
Old May 27, 20, 6:08 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Posts: 860
F always. Always.
theOtherHolmes is offline  
Old May 27, 20, 6:14 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Posts: 6,635
Is there anywhere to check the progress in F/J Cabin Refurbishment on the older 777. Or indeed do ANA even have a plan to update their older aircraft?
UncleDude is offline  
Old May 27, 20, 7:02 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 12,783
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
Is there anywhere to check the progress in F/J Cabin Refurbishment on the older 777. Or indeed do ANA even have a plan to update their older aircraft?
There are currently no published plans for refurbishments.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 28, 20, 1:55 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 137
Originally Posted by SkyElite View Post
I have snatched two one-way award tickets for a trip next year, one from JFK in THE ROOM, and one from IAD in old style the box in FIRST. Which one should I keep?

Have traveled in ANA First in the past and absolutely loved the entire experience. Just loved the quiet luxury and the food.

Which one would YOU pick and why? I'm all ears.
what dates did you book?
zack14 is offline  
Old May 28, 20, 9:49 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Posts: 6,635
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
There are currently no published plans for refurbishments.
Do they have any plans either Published or Not.. I understood most of the fleet was to be refurbished by end of 2020. Now with half the fleet unused would seem to be the perfect time to get a significant advantage over JAL and their Last Century Business Class 2 x 2 x 2 .
UncleDude is offline  
Old May 28, 20, 3:36 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SFO/YYZ
Programs: AC 25K, BA Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,692
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
Do they have any plans either Published or Not.. I understood most of the fleet was to be refurbished by end of 2020. Now with half the fleet unused would seem to be the perfect time to get a significant advantage over JAL and their Last Century Business Class 2 x 2 x 2 .
Now is a great time to pour a bunch of money into refurbishing planes?
nexusCFX is offline  
Old May 28, 20, 4:14 pm
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 12,783
Originally Posted by UncleDude View Post
Do they have any plans either Published or Not.. I understood most of the fleet was to be refurbished by end of 2020. Now with half the fleet unused would seem to be the perfect time to get a significant advantage over JAL and their Last Century Business Class 2 x 2 x 2 .
There has never been any mentioning of a plan to refurbish all of the 77W fleet. Everytime a plane has been in China for and extended period of time for maintenance, there has been a great deal of speculation here whether it would come back with a new cabin, but nothing has happened so far. Since I don't work for ANA I don't have access to any unpublished plans, and we don't seem to have any employees on the board willing to share internal information.

With crisis kicking in, I am sure that any caoex related to new cabins that can be postponed has been postponed.

What 2*2*2 cabins on JAL? The regional 787s? ANA has far more of those, and ANA also has the cradle seats on 767s. While JAL did use 2*2*2 on San Diego for an undue long time, that is history and coming to regional configs, the JAL regional 787 seats are fsr better than the ANA cradle seats.
CPH-Flyer is online now  
Old May 29, 20, 9:54 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: SFO/YYZ
Programs: AC 25K, BA Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,692
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
There has never been any mentioning of a plan to refurbish all of the 77W fleet. Everytime a plane has been in China for and extended period of time for maintenance, there has been a great deal of speculation here whether it would come back with a new cabin, but nothing has happened so far. Since I don't work for ANA I don't have access to any unpublished plans, and we don't seem to have any employees on the board willing to share internal information.

With crisis kicking in, I am sure that any caoex related to new cabins that can be postponed has been postponed.

What 2*2*2 cabins on JAL? The regional 787s? ANA has far more of those, and ANA also has the cradle seats on 767s. While JAL did use 2*2*2 on San Diego for an undue long time, that is history and coming to regional configs, the JAL regional 787 seats are fsr better than the ANA cradle seats.
JAL also has some 2x2x2 787s with the Apex suite rather than a recliner seat. I assume they meant 2x3x2 on the 777 though.
nexusCFX is offline  
Old May 29, 20, 4:43 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 12,783
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
JAL also has some 2x2x2 787s with the Apex suite rather than a recliner seat. I assume they meant 2x3x2 on the 777 though.
They do have 2-2-2 787 with the Apex suites, but I'd hardly say the Apex suite is last century. Full flat and aisle access from all seats.

The Room has some clear disadvantages that would make me prefer the Apex suites. One gripe is that the table is placed too high compared to the seat for dining. You don't sit comfortably especially if you want to recline the seat even the slightest bit, as the first major movement of the recline is down and forward.
CPH-Flyer is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: