Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Help! ANA tomorrow current Japan & USA transit info?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Greetings all!
We are Canadian & USA citizens trying desperately to get back home to Canada. I've been trying since 3 weeks, booked 6 flights in all maxed out pc's and aeroplan miles on flights, they keep getting cancelled the night prior to our flight departure, government rules keep changing. Were stuck in Australia.
we are hopefully flying tomorrow ANA 880 SYD/HND, connecting to ANA 112 HND/ORD, connecting to AC 7594 ORD/YUL.
I can't find the updated gov't rules for covid, can we as CAD & USA pax leaving Australia connecting in Japan & USA still transit without obliged quarantine in Japan & USA? The airlines don't even know, I am so lost and desperate! My mind is numb. ☹&#6 5039; I am asking here because quick help is needed.
I also booked plan #6 but only for Monday 30 march, on AC SYD/YVR connecting to YUL. This is our 6th and last resort! Please help!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by voyageuse
Greetings all!
We are Canadian & USA citizens trying desperately to get back home to Canada. I've been trying since 3 weeks, booked 6 flights in all maxed out pc's and aeroplan miles on flights, they keep getting cancelled the night prior to our flight departure, government rules keep changing. Were stuck in Australia.
we are hopefully flying tomorrow ANA 880 SYD/HND, connecting to ANA 112 HND/ORD, connecting to AC 7594 ORD/YUL.
I can't find the updated gov't rules for covid, can we as CAD & USA pax leaving Australia connecting in Japan & USA still transit without obliged quarantine in Japan & USA? The airlines don't even know, I am so lost and desperate! My mind is numb. ☹&#6 5039; I am asking here because quick help is needed.
I also booked plan #6 but only for Monday 30 march, on AC SYD/YVR connecting to YUL. This is our 6th and last resort! Please help!
Japan does not have transit restrictions, the restrictions are on people entering the country. 入国. Which you don't on a transit in Japan.

For the US all arrivals have to go through full immigration, there is no airside transit. So that is the open question.

You can't get a Haneda to Canada somewhere flight, and by pass the US?
voyageuse likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 1:37 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I don't see a problem here given OP is both US and Canadian national (at least that's how I'm interpreting the OP). The only issue is if anyone has been to China in the last 14 days, as that may require quarantine. There is also additional screening for anyone who has been to Iran or the UK/Ireland/EU Schengen zone [edit: in the last 14 days, obviously].

The US-Canada border is technically closed to nonessential travel, but as Canadian nationals OP should be allowed to take the ORD-YUL flight.
voyageuse likes this.

Last edited by gengar; Mar 27, 2020 at 3:19 am
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar
I don't see a problem here given OP is both US and Canadian national (at least that's how I'm interpreting the OP). The only issue is if anyone has been to China in the last 14 days, as that may require quarantine. There is also additional screening for anyone who has been to Iran or the UK/Ireland/EU Schengen zone.

The US-Canada border is technically closed to nonessential travel, but as Canadian nationals OP should be allowed to take the ORD-YUL flight.
thank you! Have only stayed in Australia during the entire 5 weeks. So I assume from your response that Japan rules have not changed as of today they remain the same for transit pax in our situation, both Canada USA pax. Thanks so much for confirmation of this accurate information! So very appreciated!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Japan does not have transit restrictions, the restrictions are on people entering the country. 入国. Which you don't on a transit in Japan.

For the US all arrivals have to go through full immigration, there is no airside transit. So that is the open question.

You can't get a Haneda to Canada somewhere flight, and by pass the US?
thank you! I asked in case the rules had changed today as Japan has leveled up their covid rules, but could not see any difference for our case. No couldn't get hand til w/o us. Thanks again!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:18 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
thank you! Have only stayed in Australia during the entire 5 weeks. So I assume from your response that Japan rules have not changed as of today they remain the same for transit pax in our situation, both Canada USA pax. Thanks so much for confirmation of this accurate information! So very appreciated!
I'm not currently knowledgeable of any policies regarding Japan transit so can't comment on that part.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Are you both US and CDN citizens, or one of each?
voyageuse likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are you both US and CDN citizens, or one of each?
londonelite, one of each. I am a US citizen (us passport) but live in Canada permanent resident card, married to Canadian citizen (Canadian passport).
Old Mar 27, 2020, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think you should be ok. Transit in Japan is, for the moment, possible, and you'd be let in to the US on the basis of one US citizen and spouse, and into Canada for the same reason (and as you're resident).
voyageuse likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:22 am

londonelite, one of each. I am a US citizen (us passport) but live in Canada permanent resident card, married to Canadian citizen (Canadian passport).
This is important information that should have been clarified above. Fortunately, Canada is exempting immediate family of Canadian nationals and permanent residents (and presumably permanent residents themselves, although it's actually not explicitly mentioned on the relevant webpage) from the border closure (note that it is not clear the USA has the same exception).

... you'd be let in to the US on the basis of one US citizen and spouse...
There's currently no restriction on foreign nationals entering the USA from Japan except for travel history as mentioned upthread, so the spouse fact has nothing to do with it.
voyageuse likes this.

Last edited by gengar; Mar 27, 2020 at 10:32 am
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

I think you should be ok. Transit in Japan is, for the moment, possible, and you'd be let in to the US on the basis of one US citizen and spouse, and into Canada for the same reason (and as you're resident).
thank you vefy much! That is what I hopefully assumed when booking. I am aware that rules may change quickly. Other plan is purchased tickets on AC for Monday but not sure if refundable if I cancel.This will be an expensive error. Thanks again for your continued help, very appreciated.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar
This is important information that should have been clarified above. Fortunately, Canada is exempting immediate family of Canadian nationals and permanent residents (and presumably permanent residents themselves, although it's actually not explicitly mentioned on the relevant webpage) from the border closure (note that it is not clear the USA has the same exception).

There's currently no restriction on foreign nationals entering the USA from Japan except for travel history as mentioned upthread, so the spouse fact has nothing to do with it.
gengar thank you very much for your reply and link. I immensely appreciate yours and everyone's help here. FT community are fine folks! Thanks again!
Old May 12, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Couldn't find any information to the contrary, but is Japan (Tokyo) - still ok to TRANSIT to elsewhere (USA for US Citizen)?
Old May 12, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by EqualOpp
Couldn't find any information to the contrary, but is Japan (Tokyo) - still ok to TRANSIT to elsewhere (USA for US Citizen)?
If you can find a connection in the same airport. Then yes. You can't move from HND to NRT or vice versa. And you can't transit overnight in NRT as it officially closes for the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.