Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

Worth it to spend more miles for F (vs. J) on red-eye TPAC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm curious what folks think about the value of spending more miles to fly F on an overnight TPAC flight vs. flying in J? It seems to me that, with the reduced meal service, the only major differences are the seat and beverage quality, and I may actually prefer a J seat flush against the window to the F seat (presuming I'll be getting the old seats). I have a short intra-Asia connection once I get to HND which I was just going to fly in Y, but I could do both legs in J for the same number of miles as the F TPAC leg, which is also weighing on my decision.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
"worth it" is always subjective and never objective. People will give opinions based on their own point of view, and not yours.

If you are sitting on a pile of 2 million ANA miles/transferable points currencies, then F is definitely worth it over J. (upgrade award doesn't make much difference to your points/miles balance)
If you have never flown in ANA F and have an open chance to upgrade, then F is definitely worth it over J.(the novelty of it, a check against the flights bucket list?)
If you plan to stay awake and drink the limited edition pours of expensive alcohol, and eat the 5 course meal till you drop, then F is definitely worth it over J.
(even the redeye, the dinner will be limited but breakfast will be sumptuous)
BUT, if you have already flown ANA F before, if you just want to sleep on the flight, if you don't care much for the alcohol, if you have a limited stash of miles to begin with, then ANA J is just fine.

Ultimately depends on what you want to get out of the flight.
What do you think?
lowfareair, mjm, KE81 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Thank you — very fair points!
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:54 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
NH F over J is a no-brainer for me just based on the hard product as I sleep better, and I appreciate the personalized service as well.

If you're not points-heavy enough that taking Y on the regional leg is actually a consideration, then I might prefer having J on both legs depending on the flight length and hard product offering.
Torode and KE81 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:36 am

As everyone mentioned, it's quite situational based on the mileage cost between J and F, how many miles/points you have to burn, and what you extract value from in flight.

I had to fly NH105 (LAX-HND) once to make a meeting in Tokyo on the morning of the arrival date. As this particular itinerary was booked on VS, the delta between J (90k) and F (110k) was minimal enough to just go with F despite not having a full dinner service. I ended up being the only customer in F on the flight. And sure, the Hibiki 17 was poured, repeatedly.

If the miles difference between J and F was higher (e.g. it was a NH booking instead) then I definitely would have just gone in J, as the staggered business lie flats are perfectly sleepable. And if you are flying in one of the new interiors, J makes even more sense.
Tokyoite, KE81 and aquanine like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.