ANA *G and F/J Ticket

Old Feb 7, 20, 7:33 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CLE/ORD/RSW
Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
Posts: 196
Question ANA *G and F/J Ticket

Hi everyone. I am flying a mixed-class award ticket ORD-NRT (J out, F back) later this year. I booked using ANA points so right now the ticket has my ANA FF # on it. I have *G status via UA. Is there any benefit in putting my UA FF # on the ticket? I'm not sure if *G would get any additional benefits on top of J/F service anyway.
mrmoo is offline  
Old Feb 7, 20, 8:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: TYO/EWR
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 116
The only thing I could think of would be possibly access to priority security lanes, but that isn't particularly relevant flying F out of NRT where they have a separate security area. If nothing else, just have your card (virtual or physical) handy in case you find some random need for *G.
A Little Cow is offline  
Old Feb 7, 20, 11:21 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 7,766
Are you terminating at ORD or do you have an onward connection?

If the latter, you'll need the *G for UC access at ORD (crazy to say this but flying J/F into ORD does not provide lounge access for your onward UA flight -- we're facing this same crazy fact in March off HND - ORD in F but I'm DL flier so have no *G to rely on for lounge access).

Obviously not an issue for your outbound flight (you get Polaris access) or your return flight at NRT (you'll get NH Suite Lounge access at NRT) just an issue if you are connecting beyond ORD on the return.
Duke787 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 20, 1:03 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: TYO/EWR
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 116
Right, although again there your digital card would work well there too. No need to bother switching the FF number?
A Little Cow is offline  
Old Feb 9, 20, 6:09 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
Programs: UA
Posts: 648
If you have *G via UA and not via NH, don't you get an extra checked bag, priority in handling in IRROPS, etc?
1984SW is offline  
Old Feb 10, 20, 9:34 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CLE/ORD/RSW
Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
Posts: 196
Thanks for the responses!

Originally Posted by 1984SW View Post
If you have *G via UA and not via NH, don't you get an extra checked bag, priority in handling in IRROPS, etc?
I didn't think about IRROPS. Which could be useful. The PNR has two pax, the other having no FF nor status anywhere. I've never flown NH, but I've found most American carriers will assist the entire PNR as one, I assume this applies to NH?

Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
Are you terminating at ORD or do you have an onward connection?

If the latter, you'll need the *G for UC access at ORD (crazy to say this but flying J/F into ORD does not provide lounge access for your onward UA flight -- we're facing this same crazy fact in March off HND - ORD in F but I'm DL flier so have no *G to rely on for lounge access).

Obviously not an issue for your outbound flight (you get Polaris access) or your return flight at NRT (you'll get NH Suite Lounge access at NRT) just an issue if you are connecting beyond ORD on the return.
I am terminating at ORD, so I don't care about the lounge when I land, but that's a good point to consider going forward.
mrmoo is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:20 am
  #7  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: DCA
Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Posts: 1,288
Your NH account will accrue lifetime miles on an award ticket. It's probably meaningless if you're not going to accrue any other miles on it, but something to keep in mind.
Beltway2A is offline  
Old Feb 12, 20, 10:51 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CLE/ORD/RSW
Programs: UA Plat, Marriot Titanium, WN A-List, National Exec
Posts: 196
Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
Your NH account will accrue lifetime miles on an award ticket. It's probably meaningless if you're not going to accrue any other miles on it, but something to keep in mind.
It's likely meaningless, unless I start needing to travel to Japan a lot, in which case I'd have to heavily evaluate using NH or UA FF#. I already have a considerable amount of UA lifetime miles.

In another note, I looked into changing the ticket on ANA's website to my UA FF and found no way to do that. Ticket shows the ANA FF# without any edit button. Would I have to call? At this point I'd probably just leave it as-is. IRROPS seems the only benefit.
mrmoo is offline  
Old Feb 13, 20, 5:14 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,569
During the NH online checkin, you can change the FF program/number. This would have to be keyed in for each online checkin, too.
mrmoo likes this.

Last edited by roberto99; Feb 15, 20 at 3:51 pm
roberto99 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: