FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club-443/)
-   -   ANA *G and F/J Ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/all-nippon-airways-ana-mileage-club/2007961-ana-g-f-j-ticket.html)

mrmoo Feb 7, 2020 7:33 am

ANA *G and F/J Ticket

Hi everyone. I am flying a mixed-class award ticket ORD-NRT (J out, F back) later this year. I booked using ANA points so right now the ticket has my ANA FF # on it. I have *G status via UA. Is there any benefit in putting my UA FF # on the ticket? I'm not sure if *G would get any additional benefits on top of J/F service anyway.

A Little Cow Feb 7, 2020 8:32 am

The only thing I could think of would be possibly access to priority security lanes, but that isn't particularly relevant flying F out of NRT where they have a separate security area. If nothing else, just have your card (virtual or physical) handy in case you find some random need for *G.

Duke787 Feb 7, 2020 11:21 am

Are you terminating at ORD or do you have an onward connection?

If the latter, you'll need the *G for UC access at ORD (crazy to say this but flying J/F into ORD does not provide lounge access for your onward UA flight -- we're facing this same crazy fact in March off HND - ORD in F but I'm DL flier so have no *G to rely on for lounge access).

Obviously not an issue for your outbound flight (you get Polaris access) or your return flight at NRT (you'll get NH Suite Lounge access at NRT) just an issue if you are connecting beyond ORD on the return.

A Little Cow Feb 7, 2020 1:03 pm

Right, although again there your digital card would work well there too. No need to bother switching the FF number?

wpcoe Feb 9, 2020 6:09 pm

If you have *G via UA and not via NH, don't you get an extra checked bag, priority in handling in IRROPS, etc?

mrmoo Feb 10, 2020 9:34 am

Thanks for the responses!

Originally Posted by 1984SW (Post 32052984)
If you have *G via UA and not via NH, don't you get an extra checked bag, priority in handling in IRROPS, etc?

I didn't think about IRROPS. Which could be useful. The PNR has two pax, the other having no FF nor status anywhere. I've never flown NH, but I've found most American carriers will assist the entire PNR as one, I assume this applies to NH?

Originally Posted by Duke787 (Post 32044540)
Are you terminating at ORD or do you have an onward connection?

If the latter, you'll need the *G for UC access at ORD (crazy to say this but flying J/F into ORD does not provide lounge access for your onward UA flight -- we're facing this same crazy fact in March off HND - ORD in F but I'm DL flier so have no *G to rely on for lounge access).

Obviously not an issue for your outbound flight (you get Polaris access) or your return flight at NRT (you'll get NH Suite Lounge access at NRT) just an issue if you are connecting beyond ORD on the return.

I am terminating at ORD, so I don't care about the lounge when I land, but that's a good point to consider going forward.

Beltway2A Feb 12, 2020 10:20 am

Your NH account will accrue lifetime miles on an award ticket. It's probably meaningless if you're not going to accrue any other miles on it, but something to keep in mind.

mrmoo Feb 12, 2020 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Beltway2A (Post 32063621)
Your NH account will accrue lifetime miles on an award ticket. It's probably meaningless if you're not going to accrue any other miles on it, but something to keep in mind.

It's likely meaningless, unless I start needing to travel to Japan a lot, in which case I'd have to heavily evaluate using NH or UA FF#. I already have a considerable amount of UA lifetime miles.

In another note, I looked into changing the ticket on ANA's website to my UA FF and found no way to do that. Ticket shows the ANA FF# without any edit button. Would I have to call? At this point I'd probably just leave it as-is. IRROPS seems the only benefit.

roberto99 Feb 13, 2020 5:14 am

During the NH online checkin, you can change the FF program/number. This would have to be keyed in for each online checkin, too.