2 tickets, transit pax at NRT, need advice

I'm trying to fly:

NH2144 arrives NRT 15:25 (issued by VS)
NH10 departs NRT 16:40 (issued by NH)

I am checking a bag. Even though this is a legal connection, I'm concerned:

1) They won't let me through the transit area
2) FUK checking my bag through to JFK
3) zero protection if the inbound is late

VS can't open the ticket to add a segment. NH won't open it to sell me an add-on segment.

Any thoughts from those who have transited NRT on NH? I'm told I will arrive and depart the same terminal.

Only other choice I guess is fly in super early/night before/HND. There isn't really a sweet spot to get in early and get a day rate at the NRT Hilton.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by saaveraward; Jan 26, 2020 at 7:37 am
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With two separate tickets, you don't have a connection. So whether it's legal or illegal is irrelevant.
Mwenenzi, Yoshi212 and trooper like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saaveraward
I'm trying to fly:
NH2144 arrives NRT 15:25 (issued by VX)
NH10 departs NRT 16:40 (issued by NH)

I am checking a bag. Even though this is a legal connection, I'm concerned:
1) They won't let me through the transit area
2) FUK checking my bag through to JFK
3) zero protection if the inbound is late

VX can't open the ticket to add a segment. NH won't open it to sell me an add-on segment.

Any thoughts from those who have transited NRT on NH? I'm told I will arrive and depart the same terminal.

Only other choice I guess is fly in super early/night before/HND. There isn't really a sweet spot to get in early and get a day rate at the NRT Hilton.
VX was Virgin America, now taken over by AS
Cash or award tickets?
Have you checked if NH will interline checked bags on separate tickets. Some airlines will and an increasing number will not, even to themselves.
Have you been to NRT - HND before?
Great Circle Mapper
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
NH will check your baggage through.

But you will still need to go through a security check and immigration. Follow the signs for international connections when you arrive. A 16:40 flight will start boarding at 16:10, so you don't have a ton of time for delays. If you miss the flight you are on your own as a no show.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Jan 26, 2020 at 3:11 pm
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
VX was Virgin America, now taken over by AS
Cash or award tickets?
Have you checked if NH will interline checked bags on separate tickets. Some airlines will and an increasing number will not, even to themselves.
Have you been to NRT - HND before?
Great Circle Mapper
sorry, mistype. Virgin Atlantic.

I have been told both "yes" and "no" about interlining.

I Have been to both NRT and HND before but have never been a transit pax nor traveled between the two.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:33 am

The MinConnectTime is airline's own acceptance of risk (if there is a delay, they bare the costs of rebooking you)

As @MSPeconomist mentioned, you don't have a connection/transfer. You have separate tickets, any issues and you have to rebook yourself on a new ticket

So what is your acceptance of risk? Just today, the incoming flight was delayed by 52 min, which means you wouldn't have made it
https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-tracker/NH/2144

This is the past historical stats, with caveat that past doesn't mean future performance
https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...ng/NH/2144/FUK

Also,looks like it sometimes land in T1S? Could also be bus Gates?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:10 am
Original Poster

All excellent points. I guess what my main question is:

Can VS or NH "open" up an existing award ticket to add a paid segment so there is protection?

I haven't HUCA, so this may be fact, or I may have gotten an untrained agent.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Can VS or NH "open" up an existing award ticket to add a paid segment so there is protection?
NH certainly has the ability to check the bags through; you're always at the mercy of the first check-in agent in this situation though.

You're not going to get formal "protection" on separate tickets. Whether NH might accommodate you in case of an inbound delay is a separate question; I tend to think they would not but that's not based on any directly relevant experience, just general knowledge of how strictly they enforce rules. Personally, I would hesitate to leave so little time for an onward international connection.

Getting through transit security is not a problem so long as you have an onward BP (or can show proof of an onward ticket, such as a printed confirm).
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With two separate tickets, you don't have a connection. So whether it's legal or illegal is irrelevant.
It's absolutely relevant, because NH is not going to check bags through if the transit time doesn't meet MCT (i.e., an "illegal") connection.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
All excellent points. I guess what my main question is:

I haven't HUCA, so this may be fact, or I may have gotten an untrained agent.
No, they are not going to add a paid segment to an award booking.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:12 pm

I would not be comfortable with a 1hr15min domestic->international connection at NRT on separate tickets. It's doable, but there's (IMHO) not enough buffer time in case something goes wrong.

There is a Jetstar Japan flight at a better time (GK504 dep FUK 11:05 arr NRT 12:50), but NH is even less likely to be understanding if a GK delay makes you miss your connection.

The only other ANA option, NH2142 (dep FUK 07:20 arr NRT 09:00) means a painfully early start and long layover at NRT.

If I were in your place, I'd take the train. For example:
- Nozomi 12 dep Hakata 08:10 arr Shinagawa 13:06
- Narita Express 29 dep Shinagawa 13:24 arr Narita Terminal 1 14:29
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sedge
I would not be comfortable with a 1hr15min domestic->international connection at NRT on separate tickets. It's doable, but there's (IMHO) not enough buffer time in case something goes wrong.

There is a Jetstar Japan flight at a better time (GK504 dep FUK 11:05 arr NRT 12:50), but NH is even less likely to be understanding if a GK delay makes you miss your connection.

The only other ANA option, NH2142 (dep FUK 07:20 arr NRT 09:00) means a painfully early start and long layover at NRT.

If I were in your place, I'd take the train. For example:
- Nozomi 12 dep Hakata 08:10 arr Shinagawa 13:06
- Narita Express 29 dep Shinagawa 13:24 arr Narita Terminal 1 14:29
I think I'm down to that jetstar flight you mentioned or go in the night before. CP rate isn't too bad. It's just a waste of a day at NRT.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:23 pm

Programs: QF WP
have you already purchased both of these tickets? Or just the award (FUK-NRT?)?

if not I’d personally be looking to simply rebook as a through ticket FUK-NRT-[JFK?]- either cancelling the award domestic segment or throwing it away

or, second the advice about the train
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nancypants
have you already purchased both of these tickets? Or just the award (FUK-NRT?)?

if not I’d personally be looking to simply rebook as a through ticket FUK-NRT-[JFK?]- either cancelling the award domestic segment or throwing it away

or, second the advice about the train
NRT-JFK is an award. Can't cancel that. Haven't booked the positioning flight to NRT yet.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:53 pm

Programs: QF WP
NRT-JFK is an award. Can't cancel that. Haven't booked the positioning flight to NRT yet.
Aha
makes more sense that way round
Old Jan 26, 2020, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I'm down to that jetstar flight you mentioned or go in the night before. CP rate isn't too bad. It's just a waste of a day at NRT.
Just be aware that Jetstar will not check your luggage through. And they arrive in T3, so there is a quite long terminal change as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.