Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coronavirus + NH

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Just got a call from the US office (I'm assuming, based on the number) regarding a September YVR-HND award. There was a schedule change and I'd long given up on making the trip though I dragged my feet when it came to picking up the phone to cancel. The friendly agent asked if I was still planning on travelling and offered a full refund, which I gladly accepted. Quite impressed by how proactive they were.
Old Aug 17, 2020, 11:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I foolishly rebooked my March trip to November - and I'm willing to bet travel will still be restricted into Japan for tourists. Has anyone who rebooked a flight had a cancellation? Was there a full refund, or a credit issued?
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:01 pm

Hi all, my AUS-ORD-NRT (united, ANA) flight is coming up in a few weeks and when the rest of my family flew out a couple of weeks ago (all Japanese citizens) the American check-in staff initially made a fuss about them not having PCR test results from within 72 hours prior to flight (we eventually clarified with them that there was testing performed upon arrival at HND and pre-testing was not required for citizens). I am struggling to find clear information as to whether this testing requirement is something I need - as a spouse with a visitor visa. Does anyone know if this was simply American being overly concerned about a regulation that doesn't actually exist? Thank you!
Old Aug 27, 2020, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by pesos
Hi all, my AUS-ORD-NRT (united, ANA) flight is coming up in a few weeks and when the rest of my family flew out a couple of weeks ago (all Japanese citizens) the American check-in staff initially made a fuss about them not having PCR test results from within 72 hours prior to flight (we eventually clarified with them that there was testing performed upon arrival at HND and pre-testing was not required for citizens). I am struggling to find clear information as to whether this testing requirement is something I need - as a spouse with a visitor visa. Does anyone know if this was simply American being overly concerned about a regulation that doesn't actually exist? Thank you!
For Japanese citizens there is no testing requirement pre flight. When Japan open for long term residents being able to return to Japan IF they had departed before the entry ban was put in place, a test was required pre flight as well as post flight.

Currently, non Japanese citizens can only enter Japan under very limited conditions, and a spousal visitor visa in itself is a not enough per se. You'd need special permission for humanitarian reasons to enter Japan. Check the rules carefully. (if you already did ignore this paragraph)

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html
The page on entry rules mentions the PCR test requirement for nationals pretty clearly, but nothing is mentioned for foreigners as they in principle banned from entry of they have stayed in one of the 146 countries the last 14 days prior to arriving.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For Japanese citizens there is no testing requirement pre flight. When Japan open for long term residents being able to return to Japan IF they had departed before the entry ban was put in place, a test was required pre flight as well as post flight.

Currently, non Japanese citizens can only enter Japan under very limited conditions, and a spousal visitor visa in itself is a not enough per se. You'd need special permission for humanitarian reasons to enter Japan. Check the rules carefully. (if you already did ignore this paragraph)

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html
The page on entry rules mentions the PCR test requirement for nationals pretty clearly, but nothing is mentioned for foreigners as they in principle banned from entry of they have stayed in one of the 146 countries the last 14 days prior to arriving.
Thanks, yes I had to travel to the Japanese consulate here in order to pick up a special visitor visa that was applied for under their direction (it worked out as we had to pick up new passports for the kiddos at the same time). They didn't mention anything about pre-flight testing. I will reach out to them again to see if they can clarify.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: Concorde Mach 2 -UAMM- First to Fly A380/B787/B747-8i/FlyingHonu

Japan Entry Bans Now at 146 Countries with Addition of Kenya, Venezuela and Others

find out all details here:
https://www.lexology.com/library/det...c-aac002d042d9
Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:00 pm

heard back:

"Hello,
If you are arriving Japan on/after 1 September 2020, you must have Certificate of Testing for COVID-19 which is conducted within 72 hours of the departure time of the flight.
You will still have PCR test at the airport when you arrive in Japan as well. Thank you.
Best regards,

Visa Clerk
Consular Services"

Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:01 pm

So it looks like starting next week pre-testing is required, however it doesn't necessarily have to be PCR, which is good because the chances of getting those results back in a 72 hr window here are nil. Antigen rapid testing should be doable.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Just got an email from Virgin that my January IAD-HND flight is cancelled. I can't find information on that - is IAD cancelled that month in general? (Looks like JFK and ORD are bookable with cash, but not IAD).
Old Sep 1, 2020, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Just got an email from Virgin that my January IAD-HND flight is cancelled. I can't find information on that - is IAD cancelled that month in general? (Looks like JFK and ORD are bookable with cash, but not IAD).
I got the same thing. I had booked for November. Doesn’t matter since tourist probably still banned. Sigh.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 10:52 pm

From the chat bot on ANA airlines website:

Is PCR test required as a condition of boarding due to the spread of the Norvel Coronavirus infection?:

No proof of negative PCR test is required for boarding ANA-operated flights. Please confirm the conditions for using flights operated by other airlines and the entry conditions for your destination in advance.
Old Sep 9, 2020, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Anastasia Popenko
From the chat bot on ANA airlines website:

Is PCR test required as a condition of boarding due to the spread of the Norvel Coronavirus infection?:

No proof of negative PCR test is required for boarding ANA-operated flights. Please confirm the conditions for using flights operated by other airlines and the entry conditions for your destination in advance.
ANA does not require it as a blanket rule, but that does not mean that the destination country does not require it.

E.g. if you currently fall in to a bucket of non Japanese citizens that are allowed to travel to Japan, a negative Covid-19 test is required. And I am sure that ANA will check that before allowing you to board.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 1:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
ANA does not require it as a blanket rule, but that does not mean that the destination country does not require it.

E.g. if you currently fall in to a bucket of non Japanese citizens that are allowed to travel to Japan, a negative Covid-19 test is required. And I am sure that ANA will check that before allowing you to board.
They sure do. And if you don't have your paperwork in hand, and as required when you arrive at the airport, you won't be boarding. They're not going to fly anyone all the way to Japan only to have Immigration find out there's no documentation for negative tests, or re-entry.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kishiwada
They sure do. And if you don't have your paperwork in hand, and as required when you arrive at the airport, you won't be boarding. They're not going to fly anyone all the way to Japan only to have Immigration find out there's no documentation for negative tests, or re-entry.
Yes, the consulate was very specific about this and they have a form you need to fill out. Rapid antigen testing is an option, so that was pretty painless to get with results within 20 minutes. United didn’t say anything about it today for my first leg but I imagine ANA will tomorrow.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:17 am

Covid-era "the suite" trip report up. The testing wait at NRT was a bit of a pain but overall not horrible.
Brief Report: ANA in F "The Suite" during Covid

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.