Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > All Nippon Airways | ANA Mileage Club
Reload this Page >

ANA Removing/Reducing Partner Award Availability?!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Hopefully this is the right place to post. I noticed that ANA has recently been removing a large portion of their Partner Award Availability flights. Or at least they have been recoding them from F to A. (not sure what they recoded J)

E.g.: Previously, engines like expert flyer and united would show flights operated by ANA when searching for awards flights. Now, most of these flights are not showing up at all. In the LAX -> TYO Route, there are 3 operated ANA flights daily. There only seems to be 1 showing up on the united search engine now, and not even for all days.

Anyone have any idea what's happening? Temporary changes to affected routes from the 2020 HND changes? Or heavily reduced availability in general?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I just picked a random date near the end of the calendar on UA (Dec 2) and found 2 F awards on all 3 LAX-TYO flights, 3 J awards on NH5 and 1 J award on NH125. On the same day I then changed the outbound to the SF bay area and found 2 F awards on SFO-NRT and 3 J awards on SJC-HND. Seems fine to me.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks...must just be the dates and airport (LAX) I am looking at (Late may)...lucky me

Last edited by wardagainstflying; Jan 7, 2020 at 12:21 pm
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:37 pm

I think partner award inventory HAS been tightened recently
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:04 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wardagainstflying
Thanks...must just be the dates and airport (LAX) I am looking at (Late may)...lucky me
Many of those were probably booked in June and July.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

thanks. Mainly the issue is that when booked it usually just shows up as unavailable. Because ANA is changing the code, these flights won't show up in partner searches at all.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
thanks. Mainly the issue is that when booked it usually just shows up as unavailable. Because ANA is changing the code, these flights won't show up in partner searches at all.
United only show flights that has award availability in one or more classes, even if not the class you are searching for.. If there is no availability at all the flight does not show.

May is a very big travel month in Japan. More early to mid, but usually awards are tricky.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

This seems to not be what I experienced. Usually if there is no space, it will say Not available under Business or First Saver award.

edit:

whoops just fully comprehended your comment. I see. Didn't know it would not show the flight at all! Thank you!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
This seems to not be what I experienced. Usually if there is no space, it will say Not available under Business or First Saver award.

Recently it seems that it is just not showing those flights at all. Is it because all award space (economy - first) is unavailable?

Similarly, expertflyer was working the same way. Now if I want to see those flights, I have to search for code A on expert flyer. (which I am not sure if it is equivalent to award F)
A is discounted revenue F on most airlines with an F cabin. Airlines with J as highest cabin class use A for a slew of things.
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@wardagainstflying

Also discussed in this thread from the other day

Limited First Class award availability
Old Jan 25, 2020, 1:25 pm

ANA only seems to release one award seat at a time.
Does anyone know what happens if you take this seat. Will another seat be released?
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by fflyer1
Does anyone know what happens if you take this seat. Will another seat be released?
The premise that they release one seat at a time is not true so there's no good answer to your subsequent question. Revenue management can do whatever they want with regards to releasing more seats in a given class on a given flight but I think generally ANA doesn't do much of this up until near the flight date if there is significant unsold inventory.

I'm looking at a USA-TYO flight right now with X2, I3, O2 showing on a partner program, which is the same as what ANA has available.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fflyer1
It would be relavnt to mention what miles you are planning to book with. E.g. for VS i belive that there is less availability than for NH members.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It would be relavnt to mention what miles you are planning to book with. E.g. for VS i belive that there is less availability than for NH members.
I have never in many years of booking USA-TYO flights seen ANA show availability, query the same thing on a partner, and not see the exact same availability. If they actually have better availability than partners I'd love to see it as the reverse has also always been true; when I see no J awards on a partner and I check ANA hoping for exclusive space, I have never found anything. Again, would love to be wrong about this.

For VS, etc the problem is more about the 30 day booking lag which makes it difficult to get what you want.

One exception is that SJC-HND isn't showing up on partners until 330 days out. No idea what's up with that but it happened when it changed from NRT.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Jan 25, 2020 at 7:20 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 9:35 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I have never in many years of booking USA-TYO flights seen ANA show availability, query the same thing on a partner, and not see the exact same availability. If they actually have better availability than partners I'd love to see it as the reverse has also always been true; when I see no J awards on a partner and I check ANA hoping for exclusive space, I have never found anything. Again, would love to be wrong about this.

For VS, etc the problem is more about the 30 day booking lag which makes it difficult to get what you want.

One exception is that SJC-HND isn't showing up on partners until 330 days out. No idea what's up with that but it happened when it changed from NRT.
From my experience searching, it seems like AMC and partner availability matches up 330 days out. Closer in, I've definitely seen availability on ANA that doesn't show up on partners. There's also definitely more award availability to members in SFC and up.

For example, just right now there's availability for NH5 and NH125 on 2020/9/3 showing on ANA's site, but United only sees availability for NH125.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.